CBI/CIT

• 211 replies
Re: CBI/CIT
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
They've accomplished nothing to prove that, but go on thinking it if you like. Clemson is shit. They are shit every year.

What have we accomplished that proves we are as good as Clemson, as you claim? That we beat a horrible Georgetown team twice? That we won 4 games away from home all year?

They won 6 games. We won 8.
8 is better than 6, except, somehow, to you it isn't.

They made the NIT on a technicality.

You're actually cherry-picking, as Clemson overall won 17 games, while we won 14.  They made the NIT because they deserved it, per the NIT committee. Regardless, Clemson was mediocre and we stunk it up this past season.  Hopefully, we can bounce back and find ourselves amongst the NCAA Tournament field.

Clemson and St.John's were both bad. My only point is that they were worse because they were worse. I don't give a shit that they won 17 games. They beat a massively overrated FSU team, and they also beat, oh yea, right, no one else.

Whatever, dude!   If you're arguining the Big East was better than the ACC (which, is essentially what you're doing), then that's your right.  But, I doubt anyone else believes it.   

I believe it.

I'd never use a crapshoot tournament where styles, matchups, and a couple other variables to determine such.  Not to mention, I also wouldn't use a one year sample to do it, either. 

But, I'll never confuse you to be rational, logical, or, on most occasions, bright, either.

Foad

« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
But, I'll never confuse you to be rational, logical, or, on most occasions, bright, either.

Do you, get paid, by, the comma?

Poison

« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
They've accomplished nothing to prove that, but go on thinking it if you like. Clemson is shit. They are shit every year.

What have we accomplished that proves we are as good as Clemson, as you claim? That we beat a horrible Georgetown team twice? That we won 4 games away from home all year?

They won 6 games. We won 8.
8 is better than 6, except, somehow, to you it isn't.

They made the NIT on a technicality.

You're actually cherry-picking, as Clemson overall won 17 games, while we won 14.  They made the NIT because they deserved it, per the NIT committee. Regardless, Clemson was mediocre and we stunk it up this past season.  Hopefully, we can bounce back and find ourselves amongst the NCAA Tournament field.

Clemson and St.John's were both bad. My only point is that they were worse because they were worse. I don't give a shit that they won 17 games. They beat a massively overrated FSU team, and they also beat, oh yea, right, no one else.

Whatever, dude!   If you're arguining the Big East was better than the ACC (which, is essentially what you're doing), then that's your right.  But, I doubt anyone else believes it.   

I believe it.

I'd never use a crapshoot tournament where styles, matchups, and a couple other variables to determine such.  Not to mention, I also wouldn't use a one year sample to do it, either. 

Never? Why don't you use it for the season that we're talking about right now? This one.
But hey, apology accepted.

Marillac

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2017, 01:02:01 AM »
It's painful? No it isn't. It's actually simple arithmetic. The numbers don't need to be translated. We won 8 conference games. Clemson won 6.

Yeah, that's the right way to look at it. If we played Clemson's ACC schedule there's no way we win more than 6. If they played our schedule of DePaul twice and Gtown 3 times, they win more than 8.

We won 14 games, they won 17. They played in a better conference than we did. They played a tougher non conference schedule than we did. They are way better than us which is why they made the NIT and we would have been laughed at if we thought we were an NIT team

BE has 7/10 teams in the dance. Sorry, the ACC may have more teams, but they have more shitty teams, too. And sorry, their schedule isn't tougher than ours. They played Duke and NC a combined 3 times. We played Nova 3 times. Clemson gets zero credit for losing a close game to a very good team. All that means is that they know how collapse at the end of the game.

The ACC is WAAAY better than the Big East.  Keep in mind Virginia, arguably the 6th best team in the ACC lost at the buzzer AT Nova after leading by 10 in the second half.  You can't simply dismiss these as all losses count the same regardless of point differential.

Having 7 teams get in is nice, but a majority are weak seeds, 4 at 9 or lower.  With 2 being barely in.

ACC had 6 teams seeded 5 or better, 4 teams seeded 3 or better, 3 teams in the top 8.

In addition they had 3 more teams make the NIT, the BE remaining 3 teams were never in the discussion.

I think the depth in the dance is meaningful. Doesn't matter if you're barely in. All 7 games are winnable and come on, 7/10 is badass for the BE. It's better than 9/15. It just is. Even Providence could go to the final four. So could Marquette. So could Seton Hall. I think for us, going 8-12 is meaningful considering our experience level as a team the value of 4 strong wins that weren't cup cake wins like Depaul and Georgetown.

Dude the 4/5 ACC Quarterfinal game was Duke vs Louisville.  2 potential Final Four teams.  Followed by a semifinal between Duke and UNC, another game pitting two legitimate Final Four reams.

The 4/5 BE Quarterfinal was SHU and Marquette.   Seriously there is no comparison 

Furthermore Pittsburgh finished 14th in the ACC this year.  This is a program that from 2002 thru 2016 went to the NCAA's in 13 out if 15 years, winning 4 regular season BE titles and winning more BE games than any program from 2002-2011.  And they were an afterthought in the ACC this year.  BE equivalent is DePaul.  You want to compare DePaul to Pittsburgh not even close.

The Big East had three legit Final Four contenders mid-January before the injuries hit
(and will have three next year). Coaches make programs, so Pitt's past is irrelevant at this point. They would have battled us and Gtown for 8th or 9th.
That's utter nonsense, Creighton and Xavier were not Final Four contenders anymore than Butler is.

Duke lost more talent to injuries than Creighton and Xavier COMBINED and Duke is better than they are even without Bolden and Giles.

Louisville lost Quentin Snider for a large part of the season and they ripped off like 4 straight wins WITHOUT HIM.

Sumner is not the difference between Xavier barely making the Tourney (their last two regular season wins over the last month were against DePaul) and being a Final Four contender.  Some of you are completely clueless.  Sumner makes a difference no doubt.

And Pitt is a better job than SJU, Georgetown, Seton hall, Marquette, DePaul etc. period.  There is no one in college basketball that will tell you otherwise.

And if Pitt had not left for the ACC instead was still in the BE Jamie Dixon would not have left Pitt to begin with.  The whole reason he left was Pitt was slipping in recruiting especially against the likes of Duke, UNC, Louisville etc.  He knew the unreal expectations of the fan base at Pitt were starting to take its toll int hat conference.  Geez look at NC St, they alone have more talent than most BE schools and they are the bottom of the ACC and fired their 4 time NCAA in 6 year coach.

Get a clue, the conferences are not even close and no one in college basketball would disagree with that notion.

Get your shine box you reject!!!!!!!

« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2017, 01:19:55 AM »
It's painful? No it isn't. It's actually simple arithmetic. The numbers don't need to be translated. We won 8 conference games. Clemson won 6.

Yeah, that's the right way to look at it. If we played Clemson's ACC schedule there's no way we win more than 6. If they played our schedule of DePaul twice and Gtown 3 times, they win more than 8.

We won 14 games, they won 17. They played in a better conference than we did. They played a tougher non conference schedule than we did. They are way better than us which is why they made the NIT and we would have been laughed at if we thought we were an NIT team

BE has 7/10 teams in the dance. Sorry, the ACC may have more teams, but they have more shitty teams, too. And sorry, their schedule isn't tougher than ours. They played Duke and NC a combined 3 times. We played Nova 3 times. Clemson gets zero credit for losing a close game to a very good team. All that means is that they know how collapse at the end of the game.

The ACC is WAAAY better than the Big East.  Keep in mind Virginia, arguably the 6th best team in the ACC lost at the buzzer AT Nova after leading by 10 in the second half.  You can't simply dismiss these as all losses count the same regardless of point differential.

Having 7 teams get in is nice, but a majority are weak seeds, 4 at 9 or lower.  With 2 being barely in.

ACC had 6 teams seeded 5 or better, 4 teams seeded 3 or better, 3 teams in the top 8.

In addition they had 3 more teams make the NIT, the BE remaining 3 teams were never in the discussion.

I think the depth in the dance is meaningful. Doesn't matter if you're barely in. All 7 games are winnable and come on, 7/10 is badass for the BE. It's better than 9/15. It just is. Even Providence could go to the final four. So could Marquette. So could Seton Hall. I think for us, going 8-12 is meaningful considering our experience level as a team the value of 4 strong wins that weren't cup cake wins like Depaul and Georgetown.

Dude the 4/5 ACC Quarterfinal game was Duke vs Louisville.  2 potential Final Four teams.  Followed by a semifinal between Duke and UNC, another game pitting two legitimate Final Four reams.

The 4/5 BE Quarterfinal was SHU and Marquette.   Seriously there is no comparison 

Furthermore Pittsburgh finished 14th in the ACC this year.  This is a program that from 2002 thru 2016 went to the NCAA's in 13 out if 15 years, winning 4 regular season BE titles and winning more BE games than any program from 2002-2011.  And they were an afterthought in the ACC this year.  BE equivalent is DePaul.  You want to compare DePaul to Pittsburgh not even close.

The Big East had three legit Final Four contenders mid-January before the injuries hit
(and will have three next year). Coaches make programs, so Pitt's past is irrelevant at this point. They would have battled us and Gtown for 8th or 9th.
That's utter nonsense, Creighton and Xavier were not Final Four contenders anymore than Butler is.

Duke lost more talent to injuries than Creighton and Xavier COMBINED and Duke is better than they are even without Bolden and Giles.

Louisville lost Quentin Snider for a large part of the season and they ripped off like 4 straight wins WITHOUT HIM.

Sumner is not the difference between Xavier barely making the Tourney (their last two regular season wins over the last month were against DePaul) and being a Final Four contender.  Some of you are completely clueless.  Sumner makes a difference no doubt.

And Pitt is a better job than SJU, Georgetown, Seton hall, Marquette, DePaul etc. period.  There is no one in college basketball that will tell you otherwise.

And if Pitt had not left for the ACC instead was still in the BE Jamie Dixon would not have left Pitt to begin with.  The whole reason he left was Pitt was slipping in recruiting especially against the likes of Duke, UNC, Louisville etc.  He knew the unreal expectations of the fan base at Pitt were starting to take its toll int hat conference.  Geez look at NC St, they alone have more talent than most BE schools and they are the bottom of the ACC and fired their 4 time NCAA in 6 year coach.

Get a clue, the conferences are not even close and no one in college basketball would disagree with that notion.

To be fair X nearly played their way out of tourney in February. Hard to have Final Four confidence in them.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2017, 01:27:43 AM »

To be fair X nearly played their way out of tourney in February. Hard to have Final Four confidence in them.

Don't ruin this for us, Dave. 😆 He got himself out of all those lockers he got stuffed into in high school...he can can get himself out of this too. Perhaps he will realize his dweeby heel act is getting old.

« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2017, 08:40:09 AM »
Personally I'd decline the invite. Not because St. John's is above that but because I wouldn't want the guys to play March ball unless it's NIT or NCAA. Let them sit at home in their room while guys are playing and let that sink in. Make 'em hungry for next year.

If they're not hungry give their scholarships to somebody who is Mike Jarvis. Isn't that what got him fired, that he said he'd no longer be recruiting local players, because they weren't hungry enough? Good grief. We stink but let's not play anymore and possibly get better, let's all stew in the fact that we suck. You people are mentally ill. 

It's always good leaving the season on a 40 point thrashing on your own court

I think the point is we've played 33 games and have been practicing for more than 5 months. Another couple of games against Lehigh and St Peters plus a few more practices isn't going to make us any better. And there's a chance we'd wind up ending the season with an 8 point loss to Lehigh which is worse than losing to the defending national champs by 40.

There have been numerous regular season games this year where the team showed up with absolutely no interest. There is no way they are going to be at all interested in playing a team like Toledo in the CBI for absolutely nothing, whereas Toledo might actually care and would end up beating us

St. Peter's is still playing by the way. Tonight at Texas St.  Good thing St Johns is well oiled machine and couldn't use a few more weeks of practice and games

TONYD3

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »
The jets are expected to suck this year. After going 2-14 or 3-13, should they scrimmage the Toronto argonauts ? I am sure that would be productive.

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
The jets are expected to suck this year. After going 2-14 or 3-13, should they scrimmage the Toronto argonauts ? I am sure that would be productive.

So the staff and the team will improve by not playing? They should hire you to replace Mitch

« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2017, 07:35:24 PM »
St. Peter's beat Texas St. . Another week of practice and another game for them

« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
They'll be no stopping them on their Road to the Final Four next season.  ;)

« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2017, 08:03:29 PM »

Final 4 of a C tournament with St Johns

« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2017, 08:13:54 PM »

For Marco, Foad and Poison:
CBI Finals best two out of three will be televised by ESPNU on Monday, Wednesday and if necessary Friday night. The CIT semi-finals will be televised by CBSSN on Wednesday night with the final televised on Friday night. Enjoy fellas!

« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »

CBI Finals best two out of three will be televised by ESPNU on Monday, Wednesday and if necessary Friday night. The CIT semi-finals will be televised by CBSSN on Wednesday night with the final televised on Friday night. Enjoy fellas!

For the St Johns staff and team also. Watch and learn boys :)

« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2017, 08:28:05 PM »

For the St Johns staff and team also. Watch and learn boys :)
Nothing for them to learn. They already know all there is to know about basketball and how to teach it.

goredmen

« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »

Too bad that as has already been proven, being successful in the CBI has zero correlation to next season's success. Oh well

« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2017, 08:57:56 PM »

Too bad that as has already been proven, being successful in the CBI has zero correlation to next season's success. Oh well

How about not playing in any tournaments?  Any correlations for success?

goredmen

« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2017, 09:17:45 PM »

Not playing in a post season tournament one season has the same correlation to the next season's success as playing in the CBI does. Zero

« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »

Not playing in a post season tournament one season has the same correlation to the next season's success as playing in the CBI does. Zero

Can't win if you don't play. But they certainly did host the best game of the tournament last night

goredmen

« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2017, 09:23:22 PM »

Can't win if you don't play. But they certainly did host the best game of the tournament last night

Wake me up when St. Peter's and Texas St are in the sweet 16 next year