CBI/CIT

• 211 replies

Poison

Re: CBI/CIT
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
Anyone who thinks we are above this is crazy. These are tournaments now. It's where we're at. All of our guys need practice. Even the ones who think they're NBA draft picks.

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
I don't understand the downside.

There is no downside as foad  pointed out. People complain about this being an inexperienced young team. Here's a chance to get another game (or more) against teams that are going play their asses off to extend their season and careers. But I guess the Big East ego will get in the way

The current team doesn't play defense. not playing defense a few more times will not improve next years team. Our staff doesn't know how to teach team defense. Preparing for Fairfield with disinterested players won't change that. Our guys quit yesterday. Lovett is half way out the door. According to Baldi mussini is next. You guys want to play a tournament with 2 guards ?
I was In favor of Norm's team playing (I think 8 years ago). Effort, toughness, were not issues then . They just kind of sucked. More practice could have helped them. (More practice didn't help norm ) what makes anyone think more practice would help Mullin? Richmond has 50 times as much money as Chris Casey, you think he wants to work 2 more weeks?

Well then there's the problem.

Foad

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 05:59:13 PM »
The current team doesn't play defense. not playing defense a few more times will not improve next years team. Our staff doesn't know how to teach team defense. Preparing for Fairfield with disinterested players won't change that. Our guys quit yesterday. Lovett is half way out the door. According to Baldi mussini is next. You guys want to play a tournament with 2 guards ?

I was In favor of Norm's team playing (I think 8 years ago). Effort, toughness, were not issues then . They just kind of sucked. More practice could have helped them. (More practice didn't help norm ) what makes anyone think more practice would help Mullin? Richmond has 50 times as much money as Chris Casey, you think he wants to work 2 more weeks?

This is an argument for firing the coach and or disbanding the basketball program.If Mullin is not the answer the should fire him. Which is not at all evident one year into a five year rebuild and which they're not going to do anyway. If they believe he's the answer they should play as many games as possible to put into practice his coaching aesthetics.

Look at it another way. What's the worst thing that can happen?  They just lost by 50 points. Unless Ponds breaks his leg there's no downside.

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »

This is an argument for firing the coach and or disbanding the basketball program.If Mullin is not the answer the should fire him. Which is not at all evident one year into a five year rebuild and which they're not going to do anyway. If they believe he's the answer they should play as many games as possible to put into practice his coaching aesthetics.

Look at it another way. What's the worst thing that can happen?  They just lost by 50 points. Unless Ponds breaks his leg there's no downside.

Yup. Even some fans have a big ego. Meanwhile, the big east is a high mid major minus Villanova. Thank God for Jay Wright

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 06:10:43 PM »
Personally I'd decline the invite. Not because St. John's is above that but because I wouldn't want the guys to play March ball unless it's NIT or NCAA. Let them sit at home in their room while guys are playing and let that sink in. Make 'em hungry for next year.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 06:30:36 PM »
Personally I'd decline the invite. Not because St. John's is above that but because I wouldn't want the guys to play March ball unless it's NIT or NCAA. Let them sit at home in their room while guys are playing and let that sink in. Make 'em hungry for next year.

If they're not hungry give their scholarships to somebody who is Mike Jarvis. Isn't that what got him fired, that he said he'd no longer be recruiting local players, because they weren't hungry enough? Good grief. We stink but let's not play anymore and possibly get better, let's all stew in the fact that we suck. You people are mentally ill. 

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 06:46:14 PM »

If they're not hungry give their scholarships to somebody who is Mike Jarvis. Isn't that what got him fired, that he said he'd no longer be recruiting local players, because they weren't hungry enough? Good grief. We stink but let's not play anymore and possibly get better, let's all stew in the fact that we suck. You people are mentally ill. 

It's always good leaving the season on a 40 point thrashing on your own court

goredmen

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 06:57:34 PM »

I think the point is we've played 33 games and have been practicing for more than 5 months. Another couple of games against Lehigh and St Peters plus a few more practices isn't going to make us any better. And there's a chance we'd wind up ending the season with an 8 point loss to Lehigh which is worse than losing to the defending national champs by 40.

There have been numerous regular season games this year where the team showed up with absolutely no interest. There is no way they are going to be at all interested in playing a team like Toledo in the CBI for absolutely nothing, whereas Toledo might actually care and would end up beating us

Foad

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »

POTY forthcoming:

If you could get better at playing basketball by sitting around in your dorm room getting stoned I'd be in the basketball hall of fame.

Evidently basketball is the only thing you can improve at by not doing it. Musicians don't get better by not playing their instruments, artists don't get better by not painting, mathematicians don't get better not doing equations. But basketball players get better by not playing basketball. Because it makes them hungry.

Foad

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 07:19:03 PM »
There is no way they are going to be at all interested in playing a team like Toledo in the CBI for absolutely nothing

Take away their scholarships then, the same way you would a history major who isn't interested at all in history.

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 07:23:04 PM »
I just don't think they're going to invite a 14-19 team.

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »

They would love a big market Big East team to host. But our guys are too busy talking about going pro

goredmen

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 07:34:12 PM »

POTY forthcoming:

If you could get better at playing basketball by sitting around in your dorm room getting stoned I'd be in the basketball hall of fame.

Evidently basketball is the only thing you can improve at by not doing it. Musicians don't get better by not playing their instruments, artists don't get better by not painting, mathematicians don't get better not doing equations. But basketball players get better by not playing basketball. Because it makes them hungry.

I do understand the experience argument here but I think it's being way overstated. Playing 3 meaningless games against mid majors after playing 33 games isn't going to make this team any better.

I don't think the players will just be sitting in their dorm rooms now that the season is over. I'm sure they will be in the gym every day getting shots up and this is the time players work on their weaknesses. Maybe Owens will use the time to work on his low post game, something he can't do in games yet. Maybe Ahmed will work on a jump stop and pull up jumper to avoid charges, something he can't do in games yet.

goredmen

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »

Exactly, there's 0% chance we get invited. Baldi wants the mid majors to get the nod over the big schools in the NCAA Tournament but sounds like he'd be cool with 14-19 St. John's getting a CBI invite over 19-13 St. Peters

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »

Exactly, there's 0% chance we get invited. Baldi wants the mid majors to get the nod over the big schools in the NCAA Tournament but sounds like he'd be cool with 14-19 St. John's getting a CBI invite over 19-13 St. Peters

St Peters is already in. They are playing because they have some young guys who can use the minutes and experience. Siena said no because they are mostly seniors. I guess St Johns and the fans are too good for that. This is why St Johns is always in the fckn basement.  SJU is an embarrassment

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2017, 07:43:53 PM »

St Peters is already in. They are playing because they have some young guys who can use the minutes and experience. Siena said no because they are mostly seniors. I guess St Johns and the fans are too good for that. This is why St Johns is always in the fckn basement.  SJU is an embarrassment

How does playing in the CBI get us out of the basement though? Do you think these 2 or 3 or whatever it is games of experience against mid majors in front of 60 people is going to translate into any wins against teams like Villanova, Xavier, Butler etc next year or the year after that we otherwise wouldn't have won had we not played in the CBI?

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »

How does playing in the CBI get us out of the basement though? Do you think these 2 or 3 or whatever it is games of experience against mid majors in front of 60 people is going to translate into any wins against teams like Villanova, Xavier, Butler etc next year or the year after that we otherwise wouldn't have won had we not played in the CBI?

Not playing makes us better? Our staff can use the games to work on things? What makes you think the players and the staff will be working hard in the offseason. Did they last year?  Oh wait, we are inexperienced team with underclassmen who have no idea how to play team basketball, no clue about fundamentals, and have no desire or capacity to play defense. Why in the world would they need to play more games?
What's the excuse next year?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:49:54 PM by Marco Baldi »

goredmen

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »

Not playing makes us better? Our staff can use the games to work on things? What makes you think the players and the staff will be working hard in the offseason. Did they last year?  Oh wait, we are inexperienced team with underclassmen who have no idea how to play team basketball, no clue about fundamentals, and have no desire or capacity to play defense. Why in the works would they need to plat more games?

I'm not making any excuses this year. I just don't see how after playing 33 games a couple more against those caliber of teams is going to help and I don't even think those teams are all that much worse than we are. If it was the NIT and we could play 3 more games against teams like Illinois, Indiana, Georgia etc. I'd be all for it. 3 CBI games is not going to move the needle at all in terms of getting better at the fundamentals or learning how to play D with intensity. If they didn't learn it after 33 meaningful games and 20 games against big east competition, 3 games against mid majors ain't gonna make a difference

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »

Not playing makes us better? Our staff can use the games to work on things? What makes you think the players and the staff will be working hard in the offseason. Did they last year?  Oh wait, we are inexperienced team with underclassmen who have no idea how to play team basketball, no clue about fundamentals, and have no desire or capacity to play defense. Why in the works would they need to plat more games?

I'm not making any excuses this year. I just don't see how after playing 33 games a couple more against those caliber of teams is going to help and I don't even think those teams are all that much worse than we are. If it was the NIT and we could play 3 more games against teams like Illinois, Indiana, Georgia etc. I'd be all for it. 3 CBI games is not going to move the needle at all in terms of getting better at the fundamentals or learning how to play D with intensity. If they didn't learn it after 33 meaningful games and 20 games against big east competition, 3 games against mid majors ain't gonna make a difference

Ya cause we did so well against the mid majors in the ooc schedule

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2017, 08:11:20 PM »

Ya cause we did so well against the mid majors in the ooc schedule

And playing against them sure didn't help much in the BE schedule