Under Armour

• 576 replies

wpc77

Re: Under Armour
« Reply #560 on: January 22, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
Great job, Dave & UA, in getting ND.  ND brand reaches out across the US to Europe et al as well and I know UA will be a partner in furthering that reach.  Largest shoes/apparel contract in history.  Great move.

« Reply #561 on: January 22, 2014, 10:14:24 AM »
Great job, Dave & UA, in getting ND.  ND brand reaches out across the US to Europe et al as well and I know UA will be a partner in furthering that reach.  Largest shoes/apparel contract in history.  Great move.
I didn't know Dave helped get ND.  It is another great piece to the puzzle.

wpc77

« Reply #562 on: January 22, 2014, 10:38:21 AM »
To be clear, I don't know if Dave did, but am congratulating him for his company's success

« Reply #563 on: January 22, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
Nike does not take UA serious yet. UA's goal the next ten years is to own the North America market especially among youth sports.

Very false.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #564 on: January 22, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »
@UnderArmour: We're proud to have the opportunity to outfit & innovate for the outstanding men & women of @NavyAthletics! #TeamUA #IWILL

The rumor is Dave enlisted to get this done.

Ha! I get about .000001% credit for this deal getting done. I put together the keynote presentation for basketball's pitch to ND but lets be real...football made this decision.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #565 on: February 24, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »
@jeffborzello: Under Armour's big summer event ("The Finals") will take place the same weekend as Peach Jam -- in Atlanta. I like it.

« Reply #566 on: March 13, 2014, 01:51:39 AM »
@DanWolken 1h
Auburn senior RT @AllenPayne2_: I can say this now... We'll struggle as long as we are under Under Armour.''

I feel like UA has been nothing but good to the Johnnies. But maybe they don't give the same attention to Auburn bball.

Moose

« Reply #567 on: March 13, 2014, 08:09:36 AM »
@DanWolken 1h
Auburn senior RT @AllenPayne2_: I can say this now... We'll struggle as long as we are under Under Armour.''

I feel like UA has been nothing but good to the Johnnies. But maybe they don't give the same attention to Auburn bball.

He's referring to UA not being Nike and being unable to recruit.
Sure hasn't effected Auburn football.
The coach and players suck.  Someone should tell Mr. Payne that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:10:11 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #568 on: March 14, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »
Auburn F Allen Payne on Thursday wrote on his Twitter account the men's basketball team "will struggle as long as we are under Under Armour," according to Colin McGowan of SPORTS ON EARTH. McGowan writes, "I’m pretty sure he means Auburn’s association with Under Armour sinks it by making it nigh impossible to recruit top high school talent." The "line of thinking" is that because Nike and adidas "sponsor a slew of the most prominent basketball camps, tournaments and AAU teams, they have a hand in steering the best young players toward programs ... with which their companies are affiliated." UA is "a second-tier basketball brand." It is "not that UA doesn’t sponsor the same sorts of things the bigger companies do, but it doesn’t have the foothold in the marketplace that Nike or Adidas has." UA "probably came to Auburn with an interest in being the chosen brand of Auburn Football, and because these types of deals are athletic department-wide, it also outfits the basketball team." This has had the "unintended consequence of dooming the basketball program, which wasn’t particularly good in the first place" (SPORTSONEARTH.com, 3/14). Basketball HOFer Charles Barkley said that he wanted Auburn "to change its apparel affiliation for basketball" from UA to Nike. Former Auburn coach Tony Barbee, prior to being fired by the school on Wednesday, said, "The only problem I have with the Auburn program right now is we're not a Nike school. I've had some conversations with [AD Jay Jacobs], I think we need to separate from the football program and go with Nike. ... I would love to see Auburn switch to Nike on the basketball side of it." In Alabama, James Crepea notes the shoe and apparel deal has been "a major bone of contention for many within the basketball program privately" (MONTGOMERY ADVERTISER, 3/14).
Remember who broke the Slice news

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #569 on: March 14, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »
Auburn F Allen Payne on Thursday wrote on his Twitter account the men's basketball team "will struggle as long as we are under Under Armour," according to Colin McGowan of SPORTS ON EARTH. McGowan writes, "I’m pretty sure he means Auburn’s association with Under Armour sinks it by making it nigh impossible to recruit top high school talent." The "line of thinking" is that because Nike and adidas "sponsor a slew of the most prominent basketball camps, tournaments and AAU teams, they have a hand in steering the best young players toward programs ... with which their companies are affiliated." UA is "a second-tier basketball brand." It is "not that UA doesn’t sponsor the same sorts of things the bigger companies do, but it doesn’t have the foothold in the marketplace that Nike or Adidas has." UA "probably came to Auburn with an interest in being the chosen brand of Auburn Football, and because these types of deals are athletic department-wide, it also outfits the basketball team." This has had the "unintended consequence of dooming the basketball program, which wasn’t particularly good in the first place" (SPORTSONEARTH.com, 3/14). Basketball HOFer Charles Barkley said that he wanted Auburn "to change its apparel affiliation for basketball" from UA to Nike. Former Auburn coach Tony Barbee, prior to being fired by the school on Wednesday, said, "The only problem I have with the Auburn program right now is we're not a Nike school. I've had some conversations with [AD Jay Jacobs], I think we need to separate from the football program and go with Nike. ... I would love to see Auburn switch to Nike on the basketball side of it." In Alabama, James Crepea notes the shoe and apparel deal has been "a major bone of contention for many within the basketball program privately" (MONTGOMERY ADVERTISER, 3/14).

Those are pretty bold statements about a company that you are contracting with. UA also got some bad press over the olmypics as well...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #570 on: March 15, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »

Reason why we have no 2014 recruits signed?

paultzman

« Reply #571 on: March 17, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »
@darrenrovell: Brutal tournament for Under Armour. Auburn, BC, Maryland, Temple, St John's all miss tournament. Only have Stephen F Austin.

paultzman

« Reply #572 on: August 07, 2014, 09:39:26 AM »
Clearly our book store sales pushed UA over top.  ;)

@MySportsLegion: Under Armor is reportedly offering Kevin Durant a 10 year, $325 million endorsement deal. Incredible.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:40:05 AM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #573 on: August 07, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
In other news, I noticed that the season ticket-holder gift this year will be a UA duffle bag.
So... there's that.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/Become_A_Season_Ticket_Member.pdf

« Reply #574 on: August 10, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »
In other news, I noticed that the season ticket-holder gift this year will be a UA duffle bag.
So... there's that.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/Become_A_Season_Ticket_Member.pdf

Last year we got like a leather agenda book, I'll take the bag and be happy.

QuanMan

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #576 on: March 20, 2017, 08:28:42 PM »
"Athleisure" is a new one for me... I've seen it, likely have some in drawers, but didn't think it was a trend.

Under Armour is a good brand but that potential to be a great brand... from the article though it seems it's putting the shorter term financials first in it's decision making.

What didn't make Nike great was having great running sneakers or Jordan... it was the message that it shared in that everyone could be an athlete.   They don't even need to advertise the product, they just connect the logo with the feeling.

Same goes for Apple and others...