First round upsets?

• 131 replies
Re: First round upsets?
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »
I had a feeling that shove by Seton Hall would result into a flagrant one.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »
Horrible call..... Seton Hall should be pissed. That is terrible officiating....

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »
Dylan Ennis 25 years old lololol

Johnny23

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »
Seton Hall really botched this game in the last minute between Carrington's travel and that bad call on the flagrant.

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
Horrible call..... Seton Hall should be pissed. That is terrible officiating....

I thought it was a poor call, too.  To be honest, the tournament is currently going the way I expected, per the Big East.

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
wow, seton hall got #$%^ed on that one.  second phantom flagrant 1 called in the closing seconds of an ncaa tournament game.  these refs must think people are paying to see who they anoint as the winner

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
Worst foul call ever by refs in SH game ends their season. Wow. Down by one with 18 seconds left they call a flagrant 1 when Desi fouled on purpose because there was "no play on the ball." That decided the game and refs should never do that. Chris Webber was disgusted.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:44:41 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »
Worst foul call ever by refs in SH game ends their season. Wow. Down by one with 18 seconds left they call a flagrant 1 when Desi fouled on purpose because there was "no play on the ball." That decided the game and refs should never do that. Chris Webber was disgisted.
the fact that the ref actually said "no play on the ball" as the justification shows how he is either (i) a complete idiot or (ii) had some money on arkansas.  either way that crew should be banned from the rest of the tourney (along with the crew that called the flagrant 1 during the play in games).  I hate seton hall, but feel like I was just robbed watching a basketball game that the refs decided to determine themselves

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
wow, seton hall got #$%^ed on that one.  second phantom flagrant 1 called in the closing seconds of an ncaa tournament game.  these refs must think people are paying to see who they anoint as the winner

I thought it should've been just your normal foul, but I had a feeling it was going to be flagrant due to the hard shove.  He also didn't make a play on the ball, either.

Personally, Providence and  Seton Hall never did much for me this season, and those were the two who I had in mind to lose in the first round when it came to our conference.  Marquette was another one, but I think they may come through tonight, as the Gamecocks can be a bit up and down on offense.  I think it could end up being a fun game, though.

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »
Worst foul call ever by refs in SH game ends their season. Wow. Down by one with 18 seconds left they call a flagrant 1 when Desi fouled on purpose because there was "no play on the ball." That decided the game and refs should never do that. Chris Webber was disgisted.
the fact that the ref actually said "no play on the ball" as the justification shows how he is either (i) a complete idiot or (ii) had some money on arkansas.  either way that crew should be banned from the rest of the tourney (along with the crew that called the flagrant 1 during the play in games).  I hate seton hall, but feel like I was just robbed watching a basketball game that the refs decided to determine themselves
I turned it off after that call because that was the game. You never do that as a ref unless you absolutely have to. That crew needs to be taken off tournament games immediately. They had a few minutes to watch it again and talk it over too. Inexcusable.

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2017, 03:57:22 PM »
I turned it off after that call because that was the game. You never do that as a ref unless you absolutely have to. That crew needs to be taken off tournament games immediately. They had a few minutes to watch it again and talk it over too. Inexcusable.
you're so right.  that's the craziest part.  they didn't call the flagrant until after watching the replay.  and the replay clearly shows that rodriguez touches him lightly with his hands and the ballhandler falls after their feet get tangled.  if they can't get that right, what are they doing?  "not a play on the ball," have these guys ever seen someone foul at the end of the basketball game in their lives?  rodriguez did exactly what every single other player ever has done.  touch the guy with both hands, make the foul obvious, and stop the clock.  here's the video btw: https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/842824315309441024
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:57:37 PM by apesNapes »

Marillac

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
you're so right.  that's the craziest part.  they didn't call the flagrant until after watching the replay.  and the replay clearly shows that rodriguez touches him lightly with his hands and the ballhandler falls after their feet get tangled.  if they can't get that right, what are they doing?  "not a play on the ball," have these guys ever seen someone foul at the end of the basketball game in their lives?  rodriguez did exactly what every single other player ever has done.  touch the guy with both hands, make the foul obvious, and stop the clock.  here's the video btw: https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/842824315309441024

As Chris Webber said, "Nobody ever makes a play on the ball fouling to stop the clock mate. I feel terrible for the Seton Hall players."

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »
Thought call was BS but the Hall turned it over a several times down stretch and blew a solid second half lead. No one to blame but themselves.

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2017, 04:16:17 PM »
Right call, stupid rule. Think where many of you are getting caught up is in the stupid labeling of a flagrant when what they really mean is an intentional foul. Why doesn't the stupid NCAA just distinguish between intentional and flagrant. When people hear flagrant they think of a hard foul. Doesn't have to be hard to be flagrant 1 just a foul when you are not making a play on the ball. Stupid play by Desi R by obviously just pushing the guy from behind instead of reaching for ball and coming across guys body or arm. Fact he fell is irrelevant.

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »
Right call, stupid rule. Think where many of you are getting caught up is in the stupid labeling of a flagrant when what they really mean is an intentional foul. Why doesn't the stupid NCAA just distinguish between intentional and flagrant. When people hear flagrant they think of a hard foul. Doesn't have to be hard to be flagrant 1 just a foul when you are not making a play on the ball. Stupid play by Desi R by obviously just pushing the guy from behind instead of reaching for ball and coming across guys body or arm. Fact he fell is irrelevant.

Sorry Celtics, you simply don't make that call in a 1 pt game with 18 seconds left. By doing so,
you end the game. There is technically a foul every play in basketball and nobody ever makes a play on the ball to foul late to stop the clock. That is hardly ever called. Horrendous officiating.

« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »

Sorry Celtics, you simply don't make that call in a 1 pt game with 18 seconds left. By doing so,
you end the game. There is technically a foul every play in basketball and nobody ever makes a play on the ball to foul late to stop the clock. That is hardly ever called. Horrendous officiating.
You can make that argument that they shouldn't call it and that sometimes they don't. That is the problem-the inconsistencies of applying the rule. Either call it as written every time you see it or change the rule. Like NFL changed rule allowing intentionally grounding if out of pocket and throw past line of scrimmage. Allow intentional fouls as long as not flagrant and not clear path to basket.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:17:02 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »
Creighton about to go out to Rhode Island

Foad

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2017, 06:56:13 PM »

As Chris Webber said, "Nobody ever makes a play on the ball fouling to stop the clock mate. I feel terrible for the Seton Hall players."

Referees suck and I understand your point about the situation, but if that wasn't a flagrant foul, what is: he pushed the guy to the ground with in the back with two hands. It sucks for Seton Hall but F Seton Hall, I'm glad they lost.

What's interesting (to me) is the lack of consistency. In the St John's loss to Xavier at the end of January St John's was trying to foul at the end of a game in which 57 fouls were called and everyone in the gym knew St John's was trying to foul and the refs didn't call anything until Ahmed nearly decapitated a guy after half a dozen brazen hacks were ignored. If standards aren't enforced there are no standards. That's the problem.

The presence of referees on the playing field in sports is antediluvian. With digital technology and multiple cameras there is no excuse for allowing human limitations to affect the outcome of sporting events. In baseball balls and strikes can be called without humans; whether the runner beat the ball to a base is clearly evident via replay. Three second calls in basketball could be done via GPS. So could probably personal fouls and in any event what transpires on the court is more evident from 30 feet up in the air then from the limited field of vision that even good refs possess, much less drunks like Tim Higgins, who used to call things with his back turned. In football a chip in the ball could regulate some dope placing the ball on the field in situations where an inch matters and could determine whether a field goal is good or not or an extra point. The sooner these nice persons are taken off the court the better.

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
scoochie smith is so good
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2017, 09:33:01 PM »
Refs missed about 5 flagrant calls at end of the Dayton Wichita state game.