Butler and Xavier

• 41 replies

Marillac

Butler and Xavier
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »
Is it fair to say they've saved our conference? Jesus...they are almost automatic first round through injuries and semi-down years.

Moose

Re: Butler and Xavier
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:51:50 AM »
To me the Big East has to advance multiple teams to the 2nd week.  For years its been the bugaboo where they might win a game but then lose.  Great that the conference went 3-0 yesterday but besides Nova can at least 2 teams advance to next week?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Wods317

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
Two of the most underrated programs in the country. The names change and players get injured but the results stay mostly the same. This is consistency that we are striving for. Butler has a matchup against a 12 seed, yes they are a very strong 12 seed but hopefully they can take care of business. Xavier has a tough matchup with FSU which probably the longest team in the country, don't expect a win there.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:30:03 AM by Wods317 »

QuanMan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
I expect Butler to be well prepared for MTSt. After experiencing Hinkle and their game day atmosphere first hand, they are definitely underappreciated by the common BE fan. They are a tremendous program.

Coach Mack is one of the most underrated coach's in the country. 7 tourney's, 2A10 titles, 3 Sweet 16's in 8 years! His Cincy and Xavier roots are what is keeping him home. Much like Cooley except he actually went to Xavier. He's raising his kids in Xavier blue, has a great thing going, I don't expect him to jump to Indiana or Illinois bc of this. He's a terrific cog for the conference.

One common theme with our coaches, unlike the ACC (Mack, Holtmann, Cooley, Wright, Mullin, Willard, Wojo, McD) is that they're all in their 40's, early 50's. They are hungry and are just getting started.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:10:18 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
To me the Big East has to advance multiple teams to the 2nd week.  For years its been the bugaboo where they might win a game but then lose.  Great that the conference went 3-0 yesterday but besides Nova can at least 2 teams advance to next week?

I'm worried about Nova-Wisconsin, but I think we can see one of Butler and Xavier make it. Those two programs just always play to their best every tournament when teams like SH and
Providence seem to find ways to lose.

Creighton really needs to step up.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »

I'm worried about Nova-Wisconsin, but I think we can see one of Butler and Xavier make it. Those two programs just always play to their best every tournament when teams like SH and
Providence seem to find ways to lose.

Creighton really needs to step up.

I guess this becomes the thread. Disappointing day and a half of hoops for the conference.
Xavier up 20 with under eight and Butler approaching th half up eight.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
Xavier proved me wrong, per thrashing Florida State.  Good job! 

Hopefully, Butler holds on in the 2nd half.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »
Ahem
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
Chrabascz.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 09:18:30 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 09:20:57 PM »
Butler and Xavier to the round of 16. Saving face for the conference. Xavier beat the brakes off FSU by 26 and it didn't even seem that close. We really need one of these teams to make it to the Elite Eight.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 10:29:56 PM »
Refs have been horrendous in this tournament. It always seems to be the small private school
on the wrong end too. St. Mary's had it within five with about  1:30 left and had a player shoved in the back going for an offensive rebound by Markinen of Zona going full speed with an extended arm,  and they called it on the kid who got send in the second row from St. Mary's! Zona got two FTs in the double-bonus. What a way to end your season.

redslope

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 10:32:28 PM »
Butler and Xavier to the round of 16. Saving face for the conference. Xavier beat the brakes off FSU by 26 and it didn't even seem that close. We really need one of these teams to make it to the Elite Eight.

Amen--let the bulldog in-woof, woof

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »
Tough day for the ACC. Virginia down 30, FSU got embarrassed by 25, ND lost by 11, and Syracuse lost in the NIT. 

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »
Tough day for the ACC. Virginia down 30, FSU got embarrassed by 25, ND lost by 11, and Syracuse lost in the NIT. 

I think Duke wins it all

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »
Refs have been horrendous in this tournament. It always seems to be the small private school
on the wrong end too. St. Mary's had it within five with about  1:30 left and had a player shoved in the back going for an offensive rebound by Markinen of Zona going full speed with an extended arm,  and they called it on the kid who got send in the second row from St. Mary's! Zona got two FTs in the double-bonus. What a way to end your season.

Horrible momentum crushing and game ending call.  A non call would have resulted in st Mary's ball out of bounds.  Gaels got jobbed in that one.
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 11:08:25 PM »

I think Duke wins it all

They aren't going to play a difficult game until the final four at this point.  Nova was only real challenge in the east.  Already beat Florida at msg early in season before team had even gelled.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 11:19:08 PM »

I think Duke wins it all

They aren't going to play a difficult game until the final four at this point.  Nova was only real challenge in the east.  Already beat Florida at msg early in season before team had even gelled.

South Carolina and then Baylor is a formidable path. I could see either team knocking them off.

goredmen

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 11:55:44 PM »

I think Duke wins it all

South Carolina and then Baylor is a formidable path. I could see either team knocking them off.

Anybody can beat anybody, but South Carolina is a weak 7 and Baylor is a horrendous 3

Poison

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 12:22:24 AM »

I think Duke wins it all

Anybody can beat anybody, but South Carolina is a weak 7 and Baylor is a horrendous 3

Didn't South Carolina just destroy Marquette?