Transfer wish list

• 411 replies

Poison

Re: Transfer wish list
« Reply #280 on: April 28, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »
People are acting like the lack of a grad transfer is intentional by the staff.  It isn't that easy.  Most of the better grad transfers this year were guards and most of the big were either not worth going after or not interested in SJU or both.

The one thing you can hit the staff with is coming off of French and going after Zach Brown.  French isn't a stud but was solid enough to get minutes freshman year.  In retrospect Brown was simply not worth the risk, way too many red flags that came to pass.

It may not be intentional, but it clearly isn't a priority. Matt A said himself that he feels great about the front court and he is just looking to add one more player (presumably Kante).

There is no way Zanna chooses Houston over us if we wanted him. He abused our guys when he played us and knows where he'll fit in. Who cares what kind of top end add-ons a boat has if it can't float. Our font court was the equivalent of a huge hole in a hull last year.

I believe Matt said that because he knows that's all that is coming. He's not going to say "I feel terrible about our front court as it stands now and we need to add multiple solid pieces" when he knows those multiple solid pieces aren't coming. They aren't stupid. They know what they need and now know they aren't getting anybody else.

Well than that is quite simply a failure. Our backup center is a 6'7 200 lb junior PF coming off an extremely disappointing season? Our starting center is 200 lbs and got abused all year by stronger players and can't even played 19 mpg? We had one guy that could hold his position on the low block and he transferred.

Duke is huge. We have at least two games against O'Mara/Kanter/Jones and they are all 240+. We have at least two games against Delgado and co. and Spellman/Painter/Paschall. The list goes on. We've got one kid on the roster above 215 lbs and one of the worst strength and
Conditioning programs in the country.

In addition, who is the backup SF to Bash? It seems as if we're conceding to giving the two remaining scholarships to walkons, when the voids can be filled with Peter Kiss types.

Where is the scoring pop off the bench besides Moose next year? Simon is known for his defense. We have a opportunity within these months to improve for Year 3 and are coming away w only Kante.

Ahmed should be the backup

Ahmed should be a backup if he comes back for his senior season having not improved his game. Just by hearing what his plan is for entering his name in the draft and why sheds light on where he is. He's not leaving regardless like others have. He knows he needs to work on his game, and now he'll have an objective opinion to help him focus.

I think he's gonna return ready, and I think he'll be 2nd team All BE or honorable mention. Just about all jucos need time to adjust to the D1 high major game. Now he's had it. Senior year. This us it.

I think he puts up 14.5 and pulls down 6.5 boards to go with 40% from 3. That's a great season and it's not even such dramatic jump.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:02:35 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #281 on: April 28, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »
I still think Kameron Rooks is the perfect 1 year fit for this team

If we aren't going to get a stud then he is an absolute must have. Good hands...skilled...huge. He plugs a lot of holes. We can run some offense through him down low too.

He's a really bad athlete and labors up and down the floor, but we've got plenty of athleticism to make that a nonissue.

Marillac

« Reply #282 on: April 28, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »
People are acting like the lack of a grad transfer is intentional by the staff.  It isn't that easy.  Most of the better grad transfers this year were guards and most of the big were either not worth going after or not interested in SJU or both.

The one thing you can hit the staff with is coming off of French and going after Zach Brown.  French isn't a stud but was solid enough to get minutes freshman year.  In retrospect Brown was simply not worth the risk, way too many red flags that came to pass.

It may not be intentional, but it clearly isn't a priority. Matt A said himself that he feels great about the front court and he is just looking to add one more player (presumably Kante).

There is no way Zanna chooses Houston over us if we wanted him. He abused our guys when he played us and knows where he'll fit in. Who cares what kind of top end add-ons a boat has if it can't float. Our font court was the equivalent of a huge hole in a hull last year.

I believe Matt said that because he knows that's all that is coming. He's not going to say "I feel terrible about our front court as it stands now and we need to add multiple solid pieces" when he knows those multiple solid pieces aren't coming. They aren't stupid. They know what they need and now know they aren't getting anybody else.

Well than that is quite simply a failure. Our backup center is a 6'7 200 lb junior PF coming off an extremely disappointing season? Our starting center is 200 lbs and got abused all year by stronger players and can't even played 19 mpg? We had one guy that could hold his position on the low block and he transferred.

Duke is huge. We have at least two games against O'Mara/Kanter/Jones and they are all 240+. We have at least two games against Delgado and co. and Spellman/Painter/Paschall. The list goes on. We've got one kid on the roster above 215 lbs and one of the worst strength and
Conditioning programs in the country.

In addition, who is the backup SF to Bash? It seems as if we're conceding to giving the two remaining scholarships to walkons, when the voids can be filled with Peter Kiss types.

Where is the scoring pop off the bench besides Moose next year? Simon is known for his defense. We have a opportunity within these months to improve for Year 3 and are coming away w only Kante.

Ahmed should be the backup

Ahmed should be a backup if he comes back for senior season having not improved his game. Just by hearing what his plan is for entering his name in the draft and why sheds light on where he is. He's not leaving regardless like others have. He knows he needs to work on his game, and now he'll have an objective opinion to help him focus.

I think he's gonna return ready, and I think he'll be 2nd team All BE or honorable mention. Just about all jucos need time to adjust to the D1 high major game. Now he's had it. Senior year. This us it.

I think he puts up 14.5 and pulls down 6.5 boards to go with 40% from 3. That's a great season and it's not even such dramatic jump.

I think he'll be a better player but his time will be pinched by Simon and Clark. Simon's handle is much better and he can guard 3-4 positions. Ahmed will really have to raise his game especially on D and the glass to compete for time. My guess is that he'll play around 20 MPG.  I don't see his shooting %s going higher unless it is as a result of better shot selection and less attempts. I don't see how he has any chance at all league unless someone gets injured.

paultzman

« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »

Justin Simon may agree with you.

Wods317

« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2017, 03:20:38 PM »

Would seem like a good fit for the year, no harm in adding him. I trust the staff though and they know better then me if he has any interest. You think he would given the lack of a big men on the roster but he is also a west coast kid.

Marillac

« Reply #285 on: April 28, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »

?

« Reply #286 on: April 28, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
Is the feeling from Rooks mutual?

ras

« Reply #287 on: April 28, 2017, 04:34:34 PM »

His father, Sean, played in the league at the same time as Chris and Mitch. Have to think the connection is there, he fills the void to a tee.
Not a stud. But for a 1 year investment, I would take him in a heartbeat. As you said he fills the void. And to say we need depth at he 5 would be an understatement.

Poison

« Reply #288 on: April 28, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »

What does that have to do with anything?

« Reply #289 on: April 28, 2017, 08:24:15 PM »

Right, the only way we get him is with a gun to his head.  ???

Marillac

« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2017, 08:28:31 PM »

Right, the only way we get him is with a gun to his head.  ???
Rape culture 😮

« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2017, 01:22:44 AM »
rooks was down to Cal/Az for his college as a freshman.  Rooks dad played for AZ so i am sure he knew simon in some respect from the west coast AAU being so close in age.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:23:07 AM by valgoth »

Foad

« Reply #292 on: April 29, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »
Don't be surprised if Lube starts again next season

Not sure about that. I think the starting line up will be Severed Horsehead, Chapped Lips, Donatella Versace, Chair and Blastoma. Then coach can bring Backscratcher, Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer and Bungee Cord off the bench. If he wants to go small he can use Mailbox Post and Cigarette Holder at the the three and four and if he wants to go big he can use Bottled Water at the point and that leaves Syringe, Johnson Rod and Duck Billed Platypus as the second unit.

Foad

« Reply #293 on: April 29, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
Ahmed should be a backup if he comes back for his senior season having not improved his game. Just by hearing what his plan is for entering his name in the draft and why sheds light on where he is. He's not leaving regardless like others have. He knows he needs to work on his game, and now he'll have an objective opinion to help him focus.

Agree with most of this. And only at St John's would a player seeking advice on how to take his game to the next level be subjected to mockery. Because we are ... the worst fan base in all of sports.

« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »

goredmen

« Reply #295 on: April 29, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/858458901162872832

Here is your potential grad transfer.

Interesting. 6-6 250 kid that took the 9th highest % of his team's shots while on the floor in all of division 1. Numbers indicate he's a good but not great rebounder, gets to the line a ton but has terrible FG numbers

« Reply #296 on: April 29, 2017, 07:38:41 PM »
Walk on who was about to earn a scholarship.   Absolutely take him this late, worth a flyer for one season with Kante and then really push for 2018 and 19 kids.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/article/Leading-UTSA-scorer-Jeff-Beverly-will-transfer-11089744.php
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:39:40 PM by fordham96 »

wpc77

« Reply #297 on: April 29, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »
Wants to be at iowa st, as per Beverley (article is 3 days old, though):
https://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/04/recruiting-utsa-grad-transfer-jeff-beverly-wants-to-be-a-cyclone/

Poison

« Reply #298 on: April 29, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »

Agree with most of this. And only at St John's would a player seeking advice on how to take his game to the next level be subjected to mockery. Because we are ... the worst fan base in all of sports.

What don't you agree with?

ras

« Reply #299 on: April 29, 2017, 10:26:35 PM »
Was hoping for the 7 foot Cal. Kid, Rooks.