Visits

• 122 replies
Re: Visits
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2017, 01:40:11 AM »
Does it annoy anyone else that we never hear about St Jean or Richmond out in the gyms recruiting?

I also wonder why we haven't particularly cast a wider net throughout the nation, per recruiting.

We've had/have players from Indiana, Maryland, 2 from Cali and Missouri in the past 2 years and that doesn't include the multiple kids from overseas

I'll give 'em the Indiana, but that was practically set up by the previous staff.  The Cali kids, as well, as the Maryland player weren't high schoolers (transfers).  Same as the Missouri player. 

Again, I'd like to see a wider net cast, per high school recruiting.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 01:42:05 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2017, 04:11:33 AM »
Perhaps, too much time in South Beach keeping tabs on RuPaul.

On a more serious reply...Seems the limited recruiting staff has put most energy into trying to land NY/NJ kids for 18/19 as I can only remember reading about Matt traveling to Louisiana to see Greg Williams, and perhaps one other out of state trip.  Assuming this offseason he'll be on the trail a bit more.

MCNPA

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2017, 09:33:43 AM »
I still think we need another recruiter.  Even though Slice wasn't getting much done, we still haven't replaced that recruiter on staff.  Matt is great and I'm a believer in him,  but we  need another guy working hard out there.  I firmly believe that.

Marillac

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2017, 09:45:19 AM »
Half our fans think Matt A is the second coming, and the other half believes we had the best recruiter in college bball and fired him for trivial bs.

Does it annoy anyone else that we never hear about St Jean or Richmond out in the gyms recruiting?
Are we that successful of a program that some of our assistants can ignore the most important part of the game - getting the best players ?

The Marines have a saying that "every Marine is first and foremost a rifleman." In college sports every coach needs to be a recuiter.   Or, at least should be in my eyes.

I understand only coaches can actively recruit , but in good programs the whole staff is involved in recruiting.  From the head coach down to the team managers who pick up the recruit at the airport. 

Maybe they just don't exchange info for good press like Matt A. The next time that dude goes on a recruiting trip or is the primary recruiter of a kid that is interested and we don't read about it will be the first.

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
Also, at some point is Matt A going to learn to coach? He's been around coaches for over a decade...at what point does he contribute to the on court product? People were doing dental procedures 100 years ago after spending 1/4 the time around dentists than Matt has spent
in college basketball.

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
I still think we need another recruiter.  Even though Slice wasn't getting much done, we still haven't replaced that recruiter on staff.  Matt is great and I'm a believer in him,  but we  need another guy working hard out there.  I firmly believe that.

Absolutely need another recruiter, since we have no recruits

Poison

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
Serious question, what does Mitch Richmond do? What aspect of coaching is his specialty?

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2017, 11:16:20 AM »
Serious question, what does Mitch Richmond do? What aspect of coaching is his specialty?

Mitch favorite moves from Red Storm Report

https://youtu.be/OhCfX7o43_I

Johnny23

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2017, 11:16:34 AM »
Also, at some point is Matt A going to learn to coach? He's been around coaches for over a decade...at what point does he contribute to the on court product? People were doing dental procedures 100 years ago after spending 1/4 the time around dentists than Matt has spent
in college basketball.

Thank goodness that's not the case today or we'd all have jacked up mouths. Matt just needs to keep recruiting. The X's and O's need to be handled by an experienced coach.

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2017, 07:09:28 PM »
Half our fans think Matt A is the second coming, and the other half believes we had the best recruiter in college bball and fired him for trivial bs.

Are we that successful of a program that some of our assistants can ignore the most important part of the game - getting the best players ?

The Marines have a saying that "every Marine is first and foremost a rifleman." In college sports every coach needs to be a recuiter.   Or, at least should be in my eyes.

I understand only coaches can actively recruit , but in good programs the whole staff is involved in recruiting.  From the head coach down to the team managers who pick up the recruit at the airport. 

Great post

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »

Great post

It's the truth.  We fired our Assoiate HC who was a prior head coach and also experienced recruiter.  We never replaced him with anybody close to equivalent.  It's something we need to replace at some point, hopefully soon.  Matt is a very good recruiter I believe, but he's on the road and facing too teams with multiple good recruiters.   We are at a disadvantage here.  I know Slice is costing a pretty penny, but it doesn't mean the Associate HC doesn't need to still be replaced.

paultzman

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2017, 05:38:35 PM »
zach smart‏ @zsmart3

Nikola Scekic will likely visit St. John's this weekend. 7-2, 250-lb C to visit Ohio next weekend.
5:24 PM · Apr 10, 2017

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2017, 05:43:21 PM »
zach smart‏ @zsmart3

Nikola Scekic will likely visit St. John's this weekend. 7-2, 250-lb C to visit Ohio next weekend.

Oh boy. Please tell me he has a five star little brother.

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »
zach smart‏ @zsmart3

Oh boy. Please tell me he has a five star little brother.

"Likely visit" remains to be seen apparently.

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »
Pat Lawless‏
@PatLawless_
D.J. Jones, a class of 2017 PG from Notre Dame Prep (MA), will go on an unofficial visit to St. John's tomorrow.

Wods317

« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2017, 02:48:53 PM »
Pat Lawless‏
@PatLawless_
D.J. Jones, a class of 2017 PG from Notre Dame Prep (MA), will go on an unofficial visit to St. John's tomorrow.

I couldn't find much on him. Do we need another small guard for next season? He also isn't on a lot of the recruiting site, not the be all end all but a bit strange we seem to be getting a little desperate.

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
Pat Lawless‏
@PatLawless_

Jones and Kante blurb:

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/general/201611/national-prep-showcase-breakout-performers

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »
More on Jones -

Crusader guard D.J. Jones knew the significance of the game, and for the third straight contest he broke the 30-point threshold, scoring a game-high 31 points, including 23 in the second half. Jones also provided the spark for the late spurt and helped close out the game in the final minute.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/highschoolsports/ci_30835514/notre-dame-prep-advances-power-5-title-game

MCNPA

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »
He seems good but wonder why we are recruiting him.   Mussini thinking about jumping ship?