Freudenberg headed overseas

• 75 replies
Re: Freudenberg headed overseas
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
Just think in 20 years RF can bring his kids to Louie Arena and show them his retired number.

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
Game was clearly above him this year (speed and size).  But I was looking forward to a full summer of development and hopefully be a rotation player 2017-18 and perhaps more by his Junior year.  A little disappointed.

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
Game was clearly above him this year (speed and size).  But I was looking forward to a full summer of development and hopefully be a rotation player 2017-18 and perhaps more by his Junior year.  A little disappointed.

+1

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
Most disappointing news all offseason.

And none made a huge impact last year but thats now 4 players who have left the program since the 2016-17 season started.
Thats not good...

QuanMan

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »
We are maintaining our core and trimming the fat around it. Replace inefficient talent with 4-5 ready made players and watch out. Lets see what Abs has up his sleeve. Nothing that has transpired over the past two weeks has me sweating. I think its encouraging actually. We aren't losing talent, we're getting rid of the players that can't hang in the BE.

Malik-Darien-Rich-Amar&Jessica-Nothing to fret over one bit.

Shamorie-Marcus-Bash-Moose-Yak-Tariq-Marv-JSimon...I really like that team. To think that we can fill in the gaps and add to this core is very exciting.
Section 3
Section 116

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »
We are maintaining our core and trimming the fat around it. Replace inefficient talent with 4-5 ready made players and watch out. Lets see what Abs has up his sleeve. Nothing that has transpired over the past two weeks has me sweating. I think its encouraging actually. We aren't losing talent, we're getting rid of the players that can't hang in the BE.

Malik-Darien-Rich-Amar&Jessica-Nothing to fret over one bit.

Shamorie-Marcus-Bash-Moose-Yak-Tariq-Marv-JSimon...I really like that team. To think that we can fill in the gaps and add to this core is very exciting.

+1.  None of this is leaving us bare in any way.  We have a great core.  Now replace the losses with better players, which I'm sure we can do, and we are rolling... 

redslope

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
I also was disappointed based on expectations.  He is very committed to club team and German national team and that I believe contributed to his lack of development as he spent last summer in Europe rather than spend the summer in school and learn the American game.  He is probably playing for the German national team in the FIBA under 19's which would have taken him away this summer.

This would have hurt his further development.  His club BM probably had guaranteed him a contract at any time when he came and staying here might have devalued that contract.  I equate his situation to Amir Garrett's choice.  RF had to choose between American ball and German and he went where the prospects were best.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:49:56 PM by redslope »

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
Anybody who wants the #20 again, needs to commit to a full four years here or guarantee an NBA pick.   Time to re-start that legacy.

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 05:08:52 PM »
Most disappointing news all offseason.

I guess that's true, given that the news this off season hasn't been bad and this is, at best, a small hiccup. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »
I also was disappointed based on expectations. 

I believe the hype machine is what makes this feel bad. I too was thinking he would be a real player for us down the road, and maybe he would have, but that was all based on the expectations that were laid before I saw him play a single game and not what I saw on the floor. Best of luck to him. It will be interesting to see who we bring in now with all the ships available. It appears Matt's focus was on the 18' class.   

Poison

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 06:25:15 PM »
Not a substantial loss at all. Now we need to add two bigs. Need to scour mid majors, overlooked '17 recruits, and overseas for help.

It's not a substantial loss provided they are able to replace him with a better prospect. For whatever reason, he never got comfortable playing in the BE. I think the staff looks a little silly here having now lost 4 players that they brought in. It's not significant pressure because talent is returning, but they need to land some capable players. Guys that will be better than the trajectory Ellison and Williams were on.

QuanMan

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
Mullin was in NBA offices for 15 years, the level might've changed but the mindset hasn't. This is Mullin the GM. These players are being told to leave, better talent is coming in. This is being ran as a professional organization. The coming months will prove such.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
Mullin was in NBA offices for 15 years, the level might've changed but the mindset hasn't. This is Mullin the GM. These players are being told to leave, better talent is coming in. This is being ran as a professional organization. The coming months will prove such.

Are you a little surprised that of the players who have left, our worst player isn't one of them?

QuanMan

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »

Are you a little surprised that of the players who have left, our worst player isn't one of them?

I'm praying that Amar is next Poison, as stated by the JJ big wigs last week.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »
Thought they were gonna be able to convince him to stay but he didn't want to fight for PT.

Sucks.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 07:18:57 PM »

Our worst player was one of them.  Freudenberg...  Amar has been productive at times.  There were no signs at this point that Freudenberg would have surpassed that point.  Our worst players did leave..

Btw, the last thing we need is low level guys that don't want to stay and fight for PT because they fail to earn it.  Teams like Duke have top 30 kids riding the pine for a few years to fight for PT.  no losses here, it's part of the vetting process...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:22:45 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 07:25:36 PM »

Our worst player was one of them.  Freudenberg...  Amar has been productive at times.  There were no signs at this point that Freudenberg would have surpassed that point.  Our worst players did leave..

Not splitting hairs, but hear staff wanted RF to stay. Not a big deal, but don't think staff perceived him as hopeless case over time.

I don't disagree... I thought he could develop.  I thought he had some skills.  Thankfully, his marshmallow will to get better showed we didn't need him. 

goredmen

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »

So players don't get better from their freshman year to their senior year? Give me a break.

Freudenberg was a 4 star prospect for a reason. Everybody knew he would need time to adjust to the American college game and that he wasn't going to average 10 ppg as a freshman. 6-9 kids that can shoot don't grow on trees. Even if he would have just developed into a competent catch and shoot shooter over the next 3 years he would have been more productive than Amar

goredmen

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »

Btw, the last thing we need is low level guys that don't want to stay and fight for PT because they fail to earn it.  Teams like Duke have top 30 kids riding the pine for a few years to fight for PT.  no losses here, it's part of the vetting process...

Except I think Duke would have been better with Semi Ojeleye this year

Johnny23

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »
Not a substantial loss at all. Now we need to add two bigs. Need to scour mid majors, overlooked '17 recruits, and overseas for help.

It's not a substantial loss provided they are able to replace him with a better prospect. For whatever reason, he never got comfortable playing in the BE. I think the staff looks a little silly here having now lost 4 players that they brought in. It's not significant pressure because talent is returning, but they need to land some capable players. Guys that will be better than the trajectory Ellison and Williams were on.

No doubt that we need to land upgrades with these extra scholly's. Tariq will be strong next year, but if Yakwe or Clark don't become  inside forces and good rebounders then we won't be much better than .500. We definitely need reinforcements under the basket.