Mikey Dixon

• 108 replies
Re: Mikey Dixon
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 08:25:58 PM »
I'm far from "in the know" but I've loosely heard that we have a really good shot.  And, on other Big East boards of teams recruiting Luther, people are posting that he is a SJU-lean for sure.

Guess this takes us out of the 18 class?

Doubt Dixon will scare Muhammad off.

If Dixon scared off Muhammad then that would be sad. Dixon seems like a good scorer to come off the bench. He's not scaring top 50 prospects away.

Just curious. Do you think Muhammad is coming?

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 08:29:27 PM »
I know nothing about this kid to think whether it is a good signing or not.  I don't like when kids leave our program after a few years because one expects to get the upside that comes with growth/maturity/development after sticking with a player through the learning years.  We will see what happens with Dixon. 

At first I was happy because Baldi, who watches more MAAC than anyone, said the kid is good and can play.  But then he posted this, so who knows.

We invest 2 years in a 3 star Ellison who has a big east body, but clear flaws. He leaves and most are happy. Now we get a 0 star player who is 162 pounds and people are happy.

Thatta boy Tony. Don't let this bs signing get to,ya

He's good. Can score .

Foad

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 08:30:26 PM »
We invest 2 years in a 3 star Ellison who has a big east body, but clear flaws. He leaves and most are happy. Now we get a 0 star player who is 162 pounds and people are happy.

Ellison is here for two years and you shit on him. Then he leaves and you mourn his loss and shit on his replacement. Which behavior do you think is more pathological?

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »
Short video interview from when he won the MAAC ROY award

https://twitter.com/Q30Sports/status/837715145661034497

NYCoffey

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »
Yeah. Will let the other 3 schollies sit there. Makes sense

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »

Doubt Dixon will scare Muhammad off.

No chance. He will be completely forgotten by the world in three weeks. That's the best part about these sign and sit transfers.

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 10:14:47 PM »
Luther Muhammad is still target #1 for 2018 guards with Greg Williams target #2.

Moose

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »

Don't worry. Dixon will need backcourt mates
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2017, 10:30:24 PM »
Either is a must.  Both are big guards which will offset Ponds and Dixon and can play along side Simon.  I would imagine that both, if truly interested in SJU, will wait out to see which guards leave.  However, unless you are Kansas, Duke or Kentucky, kids might not want to wait on a school like SJU which has 0 pros.

Really like this pickup, maybe the high scoring guard we need to take over lovett's spot assuming he leaves.

QuanMan

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 11:11:04 PM »
His MAAC ROY award was no fluke. When reviewing his game logs, there are certain games that stand out. Consecutive 11, 12 and 9 rebound games in Mid-February are particularly outstanding for someone his size and age. His season was littered with 20+ point games and he shares the rock plenty for someone of his scoring prowess:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4070682/mikey-dixon

His practice play alone will elevate his game and keep Marcus and Shamorie honest in practice all season, a win/win. He'll rest and most importantly learn how to run the system while Marcus and Shamorie have free reign. When the inevitable happens w Marcus Spring 18' he is roaring to go. Major credit to Abs here, the program keeps getting more wholesome. The past month's purge is being explained plenty, here's to the BK bully IK being next aboard!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:12:47 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 11:53:47 PM »

Agreed . Gotta think both Lovett and Ponds leave after next season

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 12:05:15 AM »

Like Lovett was supposed to this season.
If you say it often enough, I'm sure eventually it will come true....might take it into Senior year but...ya know.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:05:48 AM by KJ_Django »

Poison

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 12:18:36 AM »

I've been told that Ponds is leaving after he graduates.

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 12:51:53 AM »

Ellison is here for two years and you shit on him. Then he leaves and you mourn his loss and shit on his replacement. Which behavior do you think is more pathological?
I didn't shit on him.

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2017, 01:02:18 AM »
Once again, love Ponds and Lovett but please tell me the market overseas or at home for barely 6 foot guards that weigh 175 pounds? Gut tells me Ponds is here for min 3 years and Lovett will not find much more of a market then he did this year

Foad

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 07:15:39 AM »

I didn't shit on him.

Right, you were a big fan of him and Joey DeLaRosa. 

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2017, 07:21:50 AM »
I like guys who know how to put the ball in the bucket. A big gripe a lot of fans have is SJU doesn't have good IQ guys. I don't know Dixon at all so I can't speak from personal knowledge but he seems to be an upgrade over Ellison in terms of mental toughness + intelligence. The thing holding him back is physicality which he'll have a year to get right.

I don't think he's a difference maker but hopefully he's a guy who helps St. John's win games.

Also if Luther Muhammed doesn't commit I'd be surprised. I'm hoping he does in next two weeks because I have a really strong feeling he's gonna blow up.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2017, 08:17:50 AM »
Alpha bangura averaged 18.9 points at Monmouth before he transferred to St. John's .
I was going to mention this...

It could temper our enthusiasm, but he's still a good get.

Johnny23

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »
Solid pickup and good depth guy but that's it. Need bigs or next year is going to be more of the same mediocrity.

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »
I think we all realize the odds are slim that Lovett will be back after next season, given what transpired this offseason.  You never know with kids, but I'd be very surprised.

Ponds is a different situation IMO.  No age issue as with Lovett.  Doesn't have the history of jumping around like Lovett.  And seems to be a very mature and intelligent kid.  He very well could see the upside in growth/development by sticking around, even if he has a great year next season.

Mussini - who knows when he will decide to return to Italy to play hoops for pay.