Mikey Dixon

• 108 replies
Re: Mikey Dixon
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »
Realistically thinking, this was either:
a) roster filler. Which is fine but people getting all excited over this are being silly
or
b) means no Muhammed which means I hope kid can play in the BE

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2017, 11:31:00 AM »
a) roster filler. Which is fine but people getting all excited over this are being silly
or

Why does it have to mean either? Who knows how his lack of size will translate to the Big East, but this was probably a 25 ppg scorer in the MAAC in two years. He had a lot of room to improve based on his low weight and stength alone.

It looks like we grabbed a 4th guard that can give depth at both positions and score the ball. From a skills standpoint, the kid has great ball skills and a good stroke.  We can expect a decent reserve, but there is certainly a decent ceiling there if he can get up to 185-190 lbs. Unfortunately for him our conditioning program is dreadful.

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
or

Why does it have to mean either? Who knows how his lack of size will translate to the Big East, but this was probably a 25 ppg scorer in the MAAC in two years. He had a lot of room to improve based on his low weight and stength alone.

It looks like we grabbed a 4th guard that can give depth at both positions and score the ball. From a skills standpoint, the kid has great ball skills and a good stroke.  We can expect a decent reserve, but there is certainly a decent ceiling there if he can get up to 185-190 lbs. Unfortunately for him our conditioning program is dreadful.

Ponds, Simon, Mussini, DIxon-Muhammed would make 5. That is just bad roster management. This has been one of our biggest problems. ST John's should send someone to intern with Creighton, Butler,Marquette, etc to learn roster management.

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »
I was told by someone in the school that they wouldn't be expecting Lovett back for the 18-19 season.

Foad

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
or

Ponds, Simon, Mussini, DIxon-Muhammed would make 5. That is just bad roster management. This has been one of our biggest problems. ST John's should send someone to intern with Creighton, Butler,Marquette, etc to learn roster management.

When Dixon is eligible Ponds will be a junior, SImon a junior, Mussini a senior, Dixon a soph and Muhammad a freshmen. That looks pretty balanced to me.

Marquette had nine guards on their roster this year. Creighton had 10. Xavier had eight.

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
or

How is that bad?

Need depth and versatility. Luther and Simon can play 1,2,3. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Pete88

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
or

Say what??? You think 5 guards in a roster of 13 is too many??? that leaves you 8 spots for small forward, power forward and center.   

redslope

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
I thought Mikey's interview when he won MAAC Rookie award was spot on in that when asked what he would be working on.  He hit it when he said the weight room was where he needed to be.  With a year off, he can work on physical development along with skills and be there when Marcus leaves.  This is not a kid who is transferring because of minutes as he led his team in that area.  With us his minutes can go down and his production per minute can go up.

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »
OMG!  Too many talented guards!!!  You folks is nuts.

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »
No one is playing 5 guards. If Muhammad comes here that means he is getting guaranteed pt. Ponds will be our best player and Simon will probably be our 2nd best player they will both play 30 plus.
My point was either this is not a significant signing OR if it is Muhammad is not coming here.That is all.

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 12:47:17 PM »
No one is playing 5 guards. If Muhammad comes here that means he is getting guaranteed pt. Ponds will be our best player and Simon will probably be our 2nd best player they will both play 30 plus.
My point was either this is not a significant signing OR if it is Muhammad is not coming here.That is all.

Or like l said, both Lovett and Ponds level after soph seasons

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
or

I don't see it that way. This actually seems like the most balanced we've been in 20 years. Dixon is coming in to take a backseat to a JR Ponds (and possibly Lovett) and a SR Mussini for a year. Simon is a clear SF to me. Muhammad can play some SF too.

The thing with Dixon is that he doesn't scare anyone away like Muhammed or Heron and we owe him nothing. If he doesn't work out, oh well. The kid has serious upside, though. He is like a righty Ponds, albeit less talented. I wanted to find something to dislike about him, but he's got some real skills.  He's just really, really skinny.

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »

No way Sham is leaving.

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »
OMG!  Too many talented guards!!!  You folks is nuts.

Show me a team that plays 5 guards?
AGAIN point is, this is either not a big deal and he will be out of rotation or staff does not think it is getting Muhammed.
I have no problem taking in guys like Dixon to fill out a roster but some on here-Marillac over hyping him .

Foad

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »

You said this year that two or three guards would be leaving.

Foad

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2017, 01:03:03 PM »

Marquette had six guards who played more than 25 minutes per game.

MCNPA

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2017, 01:09:11 PM »
Nova had about 7 guards on the roster this season.  Most teams have at least 5-6. 

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »

Yeah I will give you that. Difference is that Ponds ,Simon and Muhammad would demand will demand more minutes than the Marquette guards. Though not sure how you only played Howard 22 mins? That is crazy

Johnny23

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »
Nova also has a plethora of big, physical, athletic 6'4, 6'5 guards.

The guards the Johnnies are signing are on the all-anorexic team. Those big guards that Nova and Xavier have allow you to balance the floor better. We need more balance on the front line.

Marillac

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »

Yeah I will give you that. Difference is that Ponds ,Simon and Muhammad would demand will demand more minutes than the Marquette guards. Though not sure how you only played Howard 22 mins? That is crazy
I wouldn't be so sure about Simon out of the gate. His skills need some work.