Anton Goff Interview & CA Possible Plans

• 12 replies

paultzman

Anton Goff Interview & CA Possible Plans
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »

Torch Sports‏ @TorchSports

@AD_Goff_StJohns talks past, outlines SJU future (link: http://bit.ly/2owUmdK) bit.ly/2owUmdK

Wods317

Re: Anton Goff Interview & CA Possible Plans
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »

@AD_Goff_StJohns talks past, outlines SJU future (link: http://bit.ly/2owUmdK) bit.ly/2owUmdK

The idea of a huge renovation or a totally new arena for CA is sorely needed and I hope that is followed up on. There are D2 teams with nice and much more modern arenas then CA. Love what he had to say and I hope he keeps pushing forward.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »
his "vision" seems a little blurry.  he wants to connect sju more with the city and fill the void of knicks/nets and make us big time, yet he also wants to play more games at a small arena in queens rather than MSG.  sju needs a clear strategy that makes sense for its basketball program from school president to AD on down.  without that (and without winning) it is hard to be successful

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »

The idea of a huge renovation or a totally new arena for CA is sorely needed and I hope that is followed up on. There are D2 teams with nice and much more modern arenas then CA. Love what he had to say and I hope he keeps pushing forward.
I just hope it is sooner rather than later and we are not talking another ten years. This was talked about as far back as the 80's and may have resulted in more than one AD being let go so let's hope with the new administration that is no longer the case.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »
his "vision" seems a little blurry.  he wants to connect sju more with the city and fill the void of knicks/nets and make us big time, yet he also wants to play more games at a small arena in queens rather than MSG.  sju needs a clear strategy that makes sense for its basketball program from school president to AD on down.  without that (and without winning) it is hard to be successful

There is enough games in the season to do both. Make CA a great atomosohere for the lesser games, which will created buzz for the MSG  games. You increase CA to 10,000 fans, update the facilities amenities and you increase the home advantage. You can even throw one or two really great games there as well. For the marquee games keep them at the Garden. Make it a privilege to play SJU at the Garden.
 I hope part of the plan is to make MSG a more SJU advantage Court as well. Winning helps, but having a split crowd or a smaller crowd on your home court is embarrassing to say the least. 
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 06:55:48 PM »

There is enough games in the season to do both. Make CA a great atomosohere for the lesser games, which will created buzz for the MSG  games. You increase CA to 10,000 fans, update the facilities amenities and you increase the home advantage. You can even throw one or two really great games there as well. For the marquee games keep them at the Garden. Make it a privilege to play SJU at the Garden.
 I hope part of the plan is to make MSG a more SJU advantage Court as well. Winning helps, but having a split crowd or a smaller crowd on your home court is embarrassing to say the least. 

You're not getting 10k to queens
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »

You're not getting 10k to queens

6000 comfortable seats would be good enough for me.  8000 if they are building a new arena.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »
I think 6,000 is a perfect number - went to a few of the Big East games at CA this year and the atmosphere was awesome.  As Moose and other said, don't get too big.  Keep it on the smaller side.  We play most of the better/bigger schools in the Garden anyway.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »
I think 6,000 is a perfect number - went to a few of the Big East games at CA this year and the atmosphere was awesome.  As Moose and other said, don't get too big.  Keep it on the smaller side.  We play most of the better/bigger schools in the Garden anyway.
7,500 or fans will be shut out of BE games.

derk

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 09:24:18 AM »

7500 is not for the bigger games - Nova, G'Town, etc. but it is perfect for the "smaller" BE games ie. Creighton, Butler, Xavier, Providence, SH etc. BTW that better be 7500 with backs

Wods317

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »

7500 is not for the bigger games - Nova, G'Town, etc. but it is perfect for the "smaller" BE games ie. Creighton, Butler, Xavier, Providence, SH etc. BTW that better be 7500 with backs

7,500 is probably a good number and they have to have seatbacks. If we do a new building or rehaul we can't have any more benches.

tnice

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
Theres barely enough parking now for the 5,600 seats they have... no way are you adding 2,000 more in capacity. Nor do you need to. 

You can improve the atmosphere without increasing capacity if you build a true lower bowl so the majority of fans are close to the court and the people in the uppers arent 600 feet away at a 55 degree angle and blocked from seeing half the court by the ceiling. ( And cranky from having no seat backs and sitting on a piece of hard plastic for 2 hours with their knees in someones back).

Oh, and build concession stands that are better than the ones at the local CYO tournament, like the current one.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:05:38 PM by tnice »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
Theres barely enough parking now for the 5,600 seats they have... no way are you adding 2,000 more in capacity. Nor do you need to. 

You can improve the atmosphere without increasing capacity if you build a true lower bowl so the majority of fans are close to the court and the people in the uppers arent 600 feet away at a 55 degree angle and blocked from seeing half the court by the ceiling. ( And cranky from having no seat backs and sitting on a piece of hard plastic for 2 hours with their knees in someones back).

Oh, and build concession stands that are better than the ones at the local CYO tournament, like the current one.

Build more parking garages, and more importantly get the dorms kids out of their rooms and out to the games.
Cougar O' Malley