Mussini headed back to Italy?

• 132 replies
Mussini headed back to Italy?
« on: May 26, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
@Sportando
Federico Mussini on his way back to Reggio Emilia after two seasons with St. John's, per sources

Johnny23

Re: Mussini headed back to Italy?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:10:11 AM »
LOL this program is in constant flux.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »
I'm not really a big fan of Mussini and his minutes were likely gonna decline again this year. Don't think it will have much effect on this team.

QuanMan

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:17:40 AM »
This doesn't phase me one bit. Mikey Dixon was the death nail for Moose. Grateful for his timely shooting, but his role was decreasing by the year. He would've been a max 10 minute, 5 ppg contributor this year. Defensive liability averted. Let's get another body in this Summer that will be a better fit for this team next year.
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
If we get a big body in here this summer to offset the Muss loss then I'm ok with it.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
Heard staff thought he would leave after this season. Not end of the world, but the roster churn is disappointing. With three natural guards left, I guess they try to bring in somebody. One high ankle sprain or nagging injury for any of three remaining guards could be problematic. Wilson picking up time at the off guard slot IMO would be a stretch. Oh well.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »
And there is the 2nd guard to go...

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 10:24:41 AM »
We can't catch a break.  We only have three guards on the roster now and just one "center."  Mussini was a very good option of the bench and complemented Simon perfectly. 

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
This doesn't phase me one bit. Mikey Dixon was the death nail for Moose. Grateful for his timely shooting, but his role was decreasing by the year. He would've been a max 10 minute, 5 ppg contributor this year. Defensive liability averted. Let's get another body in this Summer that will be a better fit for this team next year.

Dixon can't play this year

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »

There's always a chance for potential injury, and Mussini actually looked better defensively than Ponds and LoVett. 

Dixon won't be in uniform for another season, which would've been Mussini's senior year.  It's a loss from a depth standpoint and from a player who gave us decent minutes. It's also not a good look from a continuity standpoint.

We may as well go after the 5th year player who recently pulled out of the NBA Draft (the name slips me now).

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »

There's always a chance for potential injury, and Mussini actually looked better defensively than Ponds and LoVett. 

Dixon won't be in uniform for another season, which would've been Mussini's senior year.  It's a loss from a depth standpoint and from a player who gave us decent minutes. It's also not a good look from a continuity standpoint.

We may as well go after the 5th year player who recently pulled out of the NBA Draft (the name slips me now).
+1

QuanMan

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »

I hope we land a 5th year guy too. We need the maturity in tight spots.

Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:29 AM »
Definitely a negative. Mussini could heat up and score point in bunches. He was definitely going to get decent minutes this year as a reserve. Depth is an issue.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »
Per Zach Braziller Mussini will be back next season

cjfish

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »
Too Bad.  He would have played at least 15M this year and his points off the bench would have been significant.(I haven't computed it but I believe he had the highest points per minute on the team)  The loss of Ellison, at first not troubling, is now significant.  Hope a 5th year fill in can be found as we await Dixon who, to me, is a question mark coming from a weak league. 

QuanMan

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
Zach Braziller‏Verified account @NYPost_Brazille  4m4 minutes ago
More
 Federico Mussini was offered a pro contract in Italy, but source says not true he accepted it. Still planning to return to St John's #sjubb

WOW
Section 3
Section 116

ras

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Heard staff thought he would leave after this season. Not end of the world, but the roster churn is disappointing. With three natural guards left, I guess they try to bring in somebody. One high ankle sprain or nagging injury for any of three remaining guards could be problematic. Wilson picking up time at the off guard slot IMO would be a stretch. Oh well.
Don't need Wilson to play guard. What it means is we will see less of Simon at the 3 and the 1 and 2 positions will be played by Ponds, Lovett and Simon and the 3 by Bash and Wilson. Not really a big  problem, except as you mentioned in the case of an injury. I liked Mussuni , he provided depth and offense.  Hopefully he ll decide to return.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:04:29 PM by ras »

wpc77

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
Follow up from Zach - "Was told Federico Mussini is "evaluating" his options.  But by no means has he decided to go back to Italy.  Plan remains to return.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
Fake news

Moose

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 11:32:07 AM »
Remember who broke the Slice news