Mussini headed back to Italy?

• 132 replies
Re: Mussini headed back to Italy?
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2017, 01:47:54 AM »
and good argument that ponds is the better outside shooter.

Ponds - 38%
Fellini  - 43%

Not that good an argument.

Foad

« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2017, 07:26:17 AM »

Ponds - 38%
Fellini  - 43%

According to ESPN Ponds shot 37.5 percent from three as a freshman playing 34 minutes a game. Missini shot 42.7 percent from three as a sophomore in almost half as many minutes a game, 19, and on 70 fewer attempts. Nearly all of Mussini's threes came on plays where he stood in the corner with his feet squared waiting for someone to throw him the ball. Nearly none of Ponds threes came under those circumstances and in fact the opposite: most came as a result of his creating his own shot, often late in the shot clock. In light of which your belief that a difference of five made threes out of a hundred is proof of anything means we can add shooting and statistics to the long list of things you know little about.

Seriously, you should stick to making up cryptic nick names for the players. It's not clever or interesting, but it could be your shtick. Think of yourself as Gallagher and the players as watermelons you smash with your leaden sledgehammer wit, spraying the crowd with stinky goo pink.   

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »
Yeah not fair to compare Ponds and Mussinis 3pt percentages from last year. For reasons Foad mentioned above. A fairer comparison would be to compare Mussinis freshman shooting percentages, where he was forced to take bad shots and handle the ball.

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »
Foad you are an idiot, and an obnoxious one at that. No one was comparing Ponds overall game to Mussini's overall game. Should Mussini leave there is no one to replace his stand still 42% shooting from the corner, and even a lightweight basketball expert like you should understand that. Plus your watermelon diatribe is just plain childish and nonsensical.

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2017, 07:54:52 AM »
Getting after it early today boys. I like it

Poison

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2017, 08:02:49 AM »

Ponds - 38%
Fellini  - 43%

Stats lie. Ponds made shots that kept us in and helped us win games. How many of Mussini's three pointers were made in garbage time compared to how many bricks he threw up when it mattered?

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2017, 09:00:25 AM »
I remember Mussini shooting plenty of 3s that weren't of the wide opener-set your feet variety.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »
Getting after it early today boys. I like it

Hahahah classic

Tha Kid

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »
Foad you are an idiot, and an obnoxious one at that. No one was comparing Ponds overall game to Mussini's overall game. Should Mussini leave there is no one to replace his stand still 42% shooting from the corner, and even a lightweight basketball expert like you should understand that. Plus your watermelon diatribe is just plain childish and nonsensical.

Carmine pretty clearly made the argument that mussini is the better 3 point shooter and used percentage as his evidence.  Foad tore him a new one providing much needed context for those percentages.  Stats do lie.  Always have to look at context.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:03:42 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2017, 09:28:27 AM »
 Mussini would have had a clearly defined role here next season and would have been in the rotation. With that being said I like having my best players on the floor as much as possible and I want Ponds, Lovett and Simon on the floor  most of the game. Most good teams only play 8 or 9 guys.
Owens, Ahmed, Clark, Simon, Ponds, Lovett, Yawke and Wilson make 8 so not the end of the world. While you can certainly can say Mussini is way more productive than Yakwe, because he is a big he was going to play more than Mussini who was basically going to be our 9th man.

Wods317

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2017, 09:34:50 AM »
I remember Mussini shooting plenty of 3s that weren't of the wide opener-set your feet variety.

100%. We got Mussini open looks and Ponds usually had to make his own open looks. I would say they are very similar overall as shooters in a vacuum.

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
Pretty sure he will still have that defined role here next season.

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2017, 09:58:46 AM »

Ponds - 38%
Fellini  - 43%

A lot more to it than this. Look at minutes played, attempts, role, etc. Another thing to consider is that Ponds is the more dangerous ball handler and that will buy him more space to shoot than Mussini. Also, Ponds has the luxury of picking his shots better than Mussini, who both teams expect to start shooting from the moment he enters the game.

I don't think Mussini's freshman #s are a fair comp to Ponds' freshman #s since he didn't have Lovett setting him up or a shooter of his quality to space the floor next to him. He also was on the ball and the only capable ball handler. Overall, I give the slight edge to Mussini and believe he is the best pure shooter in the Big East.

Foad

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
Foad you are an idiot, and an obnoxious one at that.

You had me at hello.

No one was comparing Ponds overall game to Mussini's overall game. Should Mussini leave there is no one to replace his stand still 42% shooting from the corner, and even a lightweight basketball expert like you should understand that.

Right, no one was comparing Ponds overall game to Missini's, including me. Because there is no comparison. Pond is one of the better freshman SJU has ever had, whereas Missini is over rated because he's white. Personally I'm happy that Missini is returning, despite the fact that he's not a very good basketball player. I agree with you that should he leave there would be a dearth of fourth guards who are capable of playing 15 minutes a game and shooting 40 percent from the floor, especially since Ellison transferred.

Plus your watermelon diatribe is just plain childish and nonsensical.

Did you know that there were two Gallaghers? The original Leo had a twin brother Ron who stole his act and whom Leo eventually sued. What's nonsensical is that Gallagher I was voted the 100th greatest comedian of all time, whereas Gallagher II who also smashed watermelons didn't receive a vote. I've always thought it should have been a tie.

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:46 AM »
Mussini would have had a clearly defined role here next season and would have been in the rotation. With that being said I like having my best players on the floor as much as possible and I want Ponds, Lovett and Simon on the floor  most of the game. Most good teams only play 8 or 9 guys.
Owens, Ahmed, Clark, Simon, Ponds, Lovett, Yawke and Wilson make 8 so not the end of the world. While you can certainly can say Mussini is way more productive than Yakwe, because he is a big he was going to play more than Mussini who was basically going to be our 9th man.

Did I miss something or is him not coming back your next stone cold guarantee?

Foad

« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
Overall, I give the slight edge to Mussini and believe he is the best pure shooter in the Big East.

As a freshman Marcus Howard shot 55 percent from three on 20 more attempts than Missini took as a sophomore.

cjfish

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »
Don't really care who is the better shooter, apples and oranges.  Mussini is a great roleplayer, plays OK D and spots up tp take the pressure off the other guards.....opponents have to respect his shot which opens up opportunities for Lovett and Ponds......he is the best player on the team moving off the ball which is key to getting his shot.  I like him for 15-20 minutes.

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »

Did I miss something or is him not coming back your next stone cold guarantee?

Nope just stating like with everything Mussini there is more being made over nothing than perhaps any player that has ever been here.
15 mins off the bench to shoot some threes. If he stays great if he goes he goes.

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
Overall, I give the slight edge to Mussini and believe he is the best pure shooter in the Big East.

As a freshman Marcus Howard shot 55 percent from three on 20 more attempts than Missini took as a sophomore.

He had a great year, but I don't think we'll see anywhere near those #s from him again. He is going to be a focus for defenses next year. I wouldn't argue anyone placing him over Mussini...I got him #2.

Foad

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »

He had a great year, but I don't think we'll see anywhere near those #s from him again. He is going to be a focus for defenses next year. I wouldn't argue anyone placing him over Mussini...I got him #2.

What do you think Mussini would shoot if he was the focus of the defense?