Sedee Keita

• 85 replies
Re: Sedee Keita
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2017, 10:01:04 PM »
SJU is 2 for 2 with regards to visits and commitments here in the Spring (Dixon and Wilson both committed shortly after visiting).  Do I hear 3 for 3?

I´m sorry, but SJU is not 2 for 2. Isaac Kante also visited and didn´t commit.

2 for 2 in kids we really wanted...now 3 for 3...lol

More importantly was trying to hint at something...

A Little something?

No he is not close to committing.  I was hinting that Keita's recruitment was unlikely to go past this weekend.

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
Looks like he's got a decent face up game...can shoot a little. I'm always a little skeptical of top 100 freshmen that don't play much but he did have an injury early in the season that set him back. Sometimes kids get behind early and never catch up.

Marillac

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2017, 10:26:43 PM »
Looks like he's got a decent face up game...can shoot a little. I'm always a little skeptical of top 100 freshmen that don't play much but he did have an injury early in the season that set him back. Sometimes kids get behind early and never catch up.

He played 10 mpg for a Final Four team as a freshman big (on a team that played small). I think that is right in line with his ranking. Chris Silva was the #62 RSCI in 2015 and he played only 13.3 MPG as a frosh (20 mpg last year) at the same position. You have to question the advice he received to follow a higher ranked kid who is just a year older.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:33:14 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2017, 10:52:51 PM »

He played 10 mpg for a Final Four team as a freshman big (on a team that played small). I think that is right in line with his ranking. Chris Silva was the #62 RSCI in 2015 and he played only 13.3 MPG as a frosh (20 mpg last year) at the same position. You have to question the advice he received to follow a higher ranked kid who is just a year older.
Not to mention he had a wrist injury and missed the whole off season, pre-season practice and the first 4 games of the season. Came back and missed two more games with the wrist injury. Plus Frank Martin is a Bob Knight type who won't play young players who don't have a good grasp of their assignments which Martin said Sedee didn't't have the offense down. He did score 9 points against of all teams Duke. His playing time and stats are almost identical to Tarik Owens who we are all happy with. Let's hope he is as hard a worker as TO and he may just have even more upside.

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »
He did score 9 points against of all teams Duke.

He had as many points against Duke as myself.  He tallied 9 minutes against Duke.

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2017, 11:50:49 PM »
He did score 9 points against of all teams Duke.

He had as many points against Duke as myself.  He tallied 9 minutes against Duke.
Never trust on line articles.  :(   at least he matched his minutes per game average against a good team.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:52:12 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2017, 08:16:31 AM »
Nice pickup, good size. Now let's get him working on his footwork and low post moves

MCNPA

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »
Nice pickup, good size. Now let's get him working on his footwork and low post moves

It's good he has a year to work out with team, gain muscle and practice.  Poor-man's Rakeem Christmas who also had similar stats first 2 years or so.  Took a while to develop.

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »
We just need Keita to play a Tristan Thompson type role for us (not 2017 NBA Finals Tristan Thompson). We will have plenty of guys who can fill it up in 2018, just need a guy who will rebound, get easy put backs, block shots, and get dirty.

In the words of popovich- "I want some nasty!"

Poison

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2017, 10:46:27 AM »
We just need Keita to play a Tristan Thompson type role for us (not 2017 NBA Finals Tristan Thompson). We will have plenty of guys who can fill it up in 2018, just need a guy who will rebound, get easy put backs, block shots, and get dirty.

We need Clarke, Owens and jeez, even Alibegovic to be physical players. This is one of the lightest St.John's teams I can remember. Somehow we're even lighter than last year. Keita is really what we need now.

QuanMan

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »

We need Clarke, Owens and jeez, even Alibegovic to be physical players. This is one of the lightest St.John's teams I can remember. Somehow we're even lighter than last year. Keita is really what we need now.

Don't forget the 9rpg that Shamorie and Bash brought to the team last year. Clark is the missing 2017-18 piece needed, he's going to bring that rebounding prowess and defensive tenacity. He needs to be our Anthony Mason Sr. I really hope that Yakwe continues to add muscle mass and takes a huge leap next year as well. We already know what type of work Tariq has been putting in thus far this offseason. Rebounding will be by committee next year. Hopefully someone like Mike Rice will corral them defensively as well.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2017, 12:50:09 PM »
I think Keita has the potential to be an impact player at St. John's. He's a top level athlete who tried to play through injuries last year. He hurt his wrist, and missed the preseason and first seven games of the season. His wrist never fully healed, which obviously affected his offense.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:50:52 PM by FriarFan »

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
So for those of us keeping score at home - Matt is good again?
He's gold Jerry, gold.

That Bania character was funny.

derk

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »
I think Keita has the potential to be an impact player at St. John's. He's a top level athlete who tried to play through injuries last year. He hurt his wrist, and missed the preseason and first seven games of the season. His wrist never fully healed, which obviously affected his offense.

And you are a Providence fan ? Do you know this kid ?

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
Providence was a major player for Keita out of HS.  They wanted him, as did Cuse and Georgetown I believe.

« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »

I'm a Friar fan, but was also a big Chris Mullin fan (we're the same age, and I watched him kill the Friars for four years).  I saw Sedee play a couple of times, and was very impressed by his athleticism. Providence was a finalist for him last year.

Despite the size difference (Keita is much bigger), he gets up and down the court similarly to Yakwe. He's definitely a work in progress offensively, but will be much better than he showed at South Carolina. The year off to work with the staff will be probably be the best thing for him.

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »

I'm a Friar fan, but was also a big Chris Mullin fan (we're the same age, and I watched him kill the Friars for four years).  I saw Sedee play a couple of times, and was very impressed by his athleticism. Providence was a finalist for him last year.

Despite the size difference (Keita is much bigger), he gets up and down the court similarly to Yakwe. He's definitely a work in progress offensively, but will be much better than he showed at South Carolina. The year off to work with the staff will be probably be the best thing for him.

Great to hear. Thanks
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

derk

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »

Appreciate.

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
Welcome Sedee Keita to New York and St Johns basketball. Hope you make a big name for yourself, your new team and your new hometown.

NYCoffey

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2017, 06:40:41 PM »

Thanks man. Good luck against everyone but us.