Mussini Gone

• 114 replies

paultzman

Re: Mussini Gone
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »
Dang it

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:40:37 AM »
Gonna be hard to replace his 43% three point shooting. Interest in Trimble makes sense now. Wish Mussini luck.

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
Good shooter and nice player.  We will be fine without him though..  his minutes would have dropped a lot.  Good luck to him.  Now let's land Trimble.  A kid who looks like he can physically be more ready for Big East play.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
Good shooter and nice player.  We will be fine without him though..  his minutes would have dropped a lot.  Good luck to him.  Now let's land Trimble.  A kid who looks like he can physically be more ready for Big East play.

Really this thread and all like it should end with the above post. Pretty much sums up the Frederico Mussini experience in 5 sentences.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:20:31 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
He's a good kid who was a nice little sniper off the bench.  Wish him well.

Simon, Ponds, Lovett.  Simon was a Rivals.com #24, Scout.com #27: Ponds was a Rivals.com #32 and Scout.com #51: Lovett was Rivals.com #62 and Scout.com #78.  I am not a ratings lover but that is pretty good and in the case of Ponds and Lovett they are already All-Big East Freshmen quality players. 

Poison

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 10:43:03 AM »
Yakwe is all that's left from the first class. Is he next?

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
Who is the first guard off the bench?

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 11:01:10 AM »
If you start three guards your first sub for that group is likely a wing.

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:09 AM »
If you start three guards your first sub for that group is likely a wing.

Which is why this is going to hurt

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
Good luck to the young man!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

ras

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
Needed Mussini for depth. Have to have 4 guards. Hopefully Trimble will work out.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »
Who is the first guard off the bench?

Holifield? Not seriously expecting it, but I'd like to see the staff develop more players than the last guy did. Maybe as a junior he's learned enough to contribute at this level? Still, it's not likely.

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »
Surprising news considering he was at the golf outing yesterday. Wish him well in Italy. As for us, I certainly wont lose sleep over this. Ponds and Lovett need to be on the court for us to be successful. It hurts depth a little bit. Hopefully we can get Trimble to fill his role. Definitely not the 3pt shooter moose is, but will likely be a huge upgrade defensively.

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »
I guess I don't see this being as big of a loss as some others do. I definitely would have preferred to see Mussini stay but I don't think losing him changes all that much as far as my expectations for the upcoming season. In order for this team to take the next step the number one priority will be being much better on the defensive end and as much as Mussini improved on that end last year he is still a liability there.

I also don't understand the fretting surrounding who the first guard off the bench will be. We still have a ton of lineup versatility in the backcourt even without Mussini. I figure all 3 of Lovett, Ponds and Simon will start and at least 2 of those 3 will be on the court for the vast majority of games. We then have Ahmed, Wilson and Clark that can all play the 3 when one of those guys is on the bench.

I like Mussini and wish him well, and do hope he would have come back for one more year but this is not the end of the world. Let's not forget that in our two most impressive wins last year (@Syracuse, vs Butler) Mussini didn't play at all.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »
If we don't land another guard I think they should start:

PG-Lovett
SG-Ponds
SF-Ahmed
PF-Clark
C- Owens

With Simon as the first guy off the bench and getting starter minutes. The three guards can all play together during the games, but I think it would be wise to have one come off the bench so if one gets into foul trouble, or needs rest it makes it easier. If we land Trimble and he earns minutes and slides into Mussini's old role then we could go back to starting Ponds, Lovett and Simon.

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »
If we don't land another guard I think they should start:

PG-Lovett
SG-Ponds
SF-Ahmed
PF-Clark
C- Owens

With Simon as the first guy off the bench and getting starter minutes. The three guards can all play together during the games, but I think it would be wise to have one come off the bench so if one gets into foul trouble, or needs rest it makes it easier. If we land Trimble and he earns minutes and slides into Mussini's old role then we could go back to starting Ponds, Lovett and Simon.

I don't think Simon came here to come off the bench

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
I think it will be based on who we are playing. Going small with Lovett/Ponds/Simon/Ahmed/Clark or large with Ponds/Simon/Ahmed/Clark/Owens

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 01:43:13 PM »
This is why Ellison should have stuck it out. smh
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
This is why Ellison should have stuck it out. smh

True... he's wasting time sitting out a year at this point, for no reason.