Mussini Gone

• 114 replies
Re: Mussini Gone
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »
This is beginning to feel a lot like Lavin. Who cares if you land guys like Sid Wilson if you can't  take care of your basic roster needs. We don't have a center on the roster. We have two guards on scholarship and Justin Simon. We don't have one player over 235 lbs. Xavier wins consistently because they always have a full quality roster. This shorthanded  nonsense is getting old .

Our backup center is listed at 6'7 210.

I agree with the issues up front but what does that have to do with Mussini leaving? I am not going to go crazy about losing our 4th guard.

What happens if Ponds sprains his ankle...the season just ends? You can't have two guards and a player like Simon unless you play zone. We don't. This is NYC. We have quality guards growing on trees. How can we possibly go into the season with just two on the roster?

You need continuity and experience to be successful if you don't have Anthony Davis type talent. Mussini had 18-22 minutes waiting for him and you can't minimize that role. No team would ever win if they didn't have a handful of role players.

Apparently Trimble can play center, so we are good

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2017, 05:38:10 PM »
Lol and now we have a  3 star being compared to everyone from Corliss Williamson to Truck Bryant

Wasn't Truck Bryant a three star? Why yes he was.

https://newspaperarchive.com/cumberland-times-news-may-24-2008-p-30/

Troll or get the fVck out.

Are you allowed to say "Fvck" on redmen? Or the boys over there still have you on a leash?

You can say fvck anywhere. Ask Ricky Smith if you don't believe me.

I saw on Braziller twitter that Smith wasn't allowed to post on that site. Fake news?

Foad

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
What happens if Ponds sprains his ankle...the season just ends? You can't have two guards and a player like Simon unless you play zone. We don't.

Mussini was a key defensive piece no doubt. We will miss his lock down defense.

This is NYC. We have quality guards growing on trees. How can we possibly go into the season with just two on the roster?

You misspelled three.

You need continuity and experience to be successful if you don't have Anthony Davis type talent. Mussini had 18-22 minutes waiting for him and you can't minimize that role. No team would ever win if they didn't have a handful of role players.

Not to minimize Mussini leaving because I agree about continuity, but he left because he wasn't going to play and he wasn't going to play because he's not very good. If Simon and Clark aren't BE players the season is not going to be good and if Mussini's fourth guard minutes were going to make or break the season the season's already broken.

Foad

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 05:49:17 PM »
Lol and now we have a  3 star being compared to everyone from Corliss Williamson to Truck Bryant

Wasn't Truck Bryant a three star? Why yes he was.

https://newspaperarchive.com/cumberland-times-news-may-24-2008-p-30/

Troll or get the fVck out.

Are you allowed to say "Fvck" on redmen? Or the boys over there still have you on a leash?

You can say fvck anywhere. Ask Ricky Smith if you don't believe me.

I saw on Braziller twitter that Smith wasn't allowed to post on that site. Fake news?

Fvcking A.

goredmen

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »
This is beginning to feel a lot like Lavin. Who cares if you land guys like Sid Wilson if you can't  take care of your basic roster needs. We don't have a center on the roster. We have two guards on scholarship and Justin Simon. We don't have one player over 235 lbs. Xavier wins consistently because they always have a full quality roster. This shorthanded  nonsense is getting old .

I agree with the issues up front but what does that have to do with Mussini leaving? I am not going to go crazy about losing our 4th guard.

What happens if Ponds sprains his ankle...the season just ends? You can't have two guards and a player like Simon unless you play zone. We don't. This is NYC. We have quality guards growing on trees. How can we possibly go into the season with just two on the roster?

Simon is a guard. We have 3 guards. Yes, 4 would be nice but we have 3 and it's not the end of the world because we have 3 other guys that can play the 3. UNC played only 3 guards the entire tournament. Kansas played 3 guards all season. It's a disappointing loss but not the end of the world

redslope

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 05:53:30 PM »
Buona Fortuna Muss.  I enjoyed the effort you always gave to St. John's and the positive attitude you maintained.  I knew you would not stay 4 years as your BB future lies with your "home" team.  I look forward to following your progress over the years to come.  You come a district of Italy with good foods but what surprised me most was the bottle of Lambrusco I bought and drank to celebrate your original signing.  Paid for a good one and still like it.  CIAO RICO.

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
Good luck to a good dude!

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
Good luck in Italy. Only LoVett and Yakwe left of the fab 5.

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
Always gave 100%. Gotta respect that.

Johnny23

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »

This. It does seem eerily similar to the Lavin recruiting model. I really hope it works but an odd way to build out the roster for sure while neglecting critical areas of need.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:18 PM »

Simon is a guard. We have 3 guards. Yes, 4 would be nice but we have 3 and it's not the end of the world because we have 3 other guys that can play the 3. UNC played only 3 guards the entire tournament. Kansas played 3 guards all season. It's a disappointing loss but not the end of the world

Please don't compare this mess to UNC.  There is a difference between playing a short rotation and having no depth. UNC probably had some top 100 "scrub" ready behind the rotation guys.  We have Elijah Holifield. 

We have an excellent core and it won't matter once again because we can't fill in the roster.  What part of that is different than Lavin? How is it possible for us to simultaneously be the smallest team in the league and only have 2-3 guards?

Bash doesn't have the handle to play big minutes at guard...not even close.  Sid at the two as a freshman?  That's a fvcking joke right there. Why can our staffs never finish off a goddamn roster? Lavin gets Harrison/ Branch/Greene/Jordan/Sampson and can't pickup a big or PG.  Now we're going to waste our time with Ponds, the best player we've had in 20 years, because we don't have a backup center or adequate depth at guard?  What a pitiful reason to waste a season.

goredmen

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 11:45:57 PM »

Please don't compare this mess to UNC.  There is a difference between playing a short rotation and having no depth. UNC probably had some top 100 "scrub" ready behind the rotation guys.  We have Elijah Holifield. 

We have an excellent core and it won't matter once again because we can't fill in the roster.  What part of that is different than Lavin? How is it possible for us to simultaneously be the smallest team in the league and only have 2-3 guards?

Bash doesn't have the handle to play big minutes at guard...not even close.  Sid at the two as a freshman?  That's a fvcking joke right there. Why can our staffs never finish off a goddamn roster? Lavin gets Harrison/ Branch/Greene/Jordan/Sampson and can't pickup a big or PG.  Now we're going to waste our time with Ponds, the best player we've had in 20 years, because we don't have a backup center or adequate depth at guard?  What a pitiful reason to waste a season.

I agree the lack of big man depth is concerning and something that could/should have been better addressed by this staff, but there is no reason to be super worried about the guard depth. 3 solid guards is fine as long as you have 1 or 2 others that can play the 3 which we have in Ahmed, Clark and Wilson. Also, nobody would ask Ahmed to play big minutes at guard but maybe a 4 minute stretch here and there can't hurt.

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2017, 12:08:09 AM »
Bad news.   :(

Even with the two transfers from real programs - Fellini, MalikIV and Darien would have been contributors on this years model.

Kid had a great stroke from downtown which will be missed.

Poison

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2017, 12:23:25 AM »
Buona Fortuna Muss.  I enjoyed the effort you always gave to St. John's and the positive attitude you maintained.  I knew you would not stay 4 years as your BB future lies with your "home" team.  I look forward to following your progress over the years to come.  You come a district of Italy with good foods but what surprised me most was the bottle of Lambrusco I bought and drank to celebrate your original signing.  Paid for a good one and still like it.  CIAO RICO.

How did you know he wouldn't stay 4 years? We say that about guys who are on the NBA radar from day one. This kid? It's a disgrace to the game of basketball that there's a pro league actually willing to pay him to play.

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2017, 01:51:40 AM »

Ah The Fab Five that won us Five Games

Wods317

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »

Ah The Fab Five that won us Five Games

This is fair. A lot of roster turnover isn't good but for the most part we are replacing the players we have lost with better players. The talent level is much higher but I do agree with some that have roster continuity is important but winning I think will help with a lot of things.

redslope

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »

How did you know he wouldn't stay 4 years? We say that about guys who are on the NBA radar from day one. This kid? It's a disgrace to the game of basketball that there's a pro league actually willing to pay him to play.
It is the way that European athletic clubs work (soccer/basketball/hockey/etc.)..  They develop players from the time they are 9/10 years old.  His club pays their expenses for years and then when they are ready they bring them on to the professional team.

cjfish

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
Guard depth will be a problem if there is an injury.  I was looking forward to Mussini having a nice season off the bench.  Eillison and DW transfers were a minor bump if Mussini stayed.  Now the 3 transfers as a whole are a major loss.

Wods317

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
He would have been a very nice piece off the bench. I liked Mussini overall and I think he would have been even more efficient this season. I hope we can add another player like Trimble for depth.

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2017, 09:50:31 AM »
He will be missed.