Rothstein Piece on Simon/Clark Impact

• 49 replies

Poison

Re: Rothstein Piece on Simon/Clark Impact
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 04:22:47 PM »
In the photo Wilson looks at least 2 inches taller then Yakwe. What gives Wilson at 6' 9 or Yakwe at 6'5 ?

I thought Yakwe was 5'11?

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 09:12:22 AM »
I'm hoping Simon can become a similar player as Pointer with a better shot and handle. If that happens, we are in good shape.

Simon actually taller than Balamou I believe.  Balamou' skill set at 6'3" was definitely more PF than guard.  Simon, that is not the case. 

Simon is Balamou's size. This is the same staff that got excited about the prospect of using Balamou at the 4. Maybe they don't know what the numbers mean?

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »
I'm hoping Simon can become a similar player as Pointer with a better shot and handle. If that happens, we are in good shape.

Simon actually taller than Balamou I believe.  Balamou' skill set at 6'3" was definitely more PF than guard.  Simon, that is not the case. 

Simon is Balamou's size. This is the same staff that got excited about the prospect of using Balamou at the 4. Maybe they don't know what the numbers mean?

They were all listed around 6'4 to 6'5 and in the range of 195 to 205. But I don't think Simons game is nothing like Balamou's. He should be that perfect fit in the guard rotation to stick him on the opposing teams guard that has size and play some hard defense with rebounding skills. That's where the Pointer reference was mentioned. How many times did we see Pointer make a key play on the defensive side (block, steal, rebound) that led to some easy transition points? I'm hoping Simon will be that guy.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »

They were all listed around 6'4 to 6'5 and in the range of 195 to 205. But I don't think Simons game is nothing like Balamou's. He should be that perfect fit in the guard rotation to stick him on the opposing teams guard that has size and play some hard defense with rebounding skills. That's where the Pointer reference was mentioned. How many times did we see Pointer make a key play on the defensive side (block, steal, rebound) that led to some easy transition points? I'm hoping Simon will be that guy.

I think we'd all be thrilled with that but Pointer was bigger and stronger from what I can tell. Pointer played power forward and even center in the BE at 6'5. Justin Simon would have to be one helluva player to be that versatile.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »

I think we'd all be thrilled with that but Pointer was bigger and stronger from what I can tell. Pointer played power forward and even center in the BE at 6'5. Justin Simon would have to be one helluva player to be that versatile.

Pointer was scrawny. He didn't even weigh 200 lbs as a senior. Simon already weighed 210 last year. They are also the same height but Simon has longer arms. There is very little doubt Simon could excel at the four in college if he had the right mindset and accepted that role. Almost nobody with his profile does, though.

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 07:38:46 PM »

Pointer was scrawny. He didn't even weigh 200 lbs as a senior. Simon already weighed 210 last year. They are also the same height but Simon has longer arms. There is very little doubt Simon could excel at the four in college if he had the right mindset and accepted that role. Almost nobody with his profile does, though.
And after he plays the 4 for us he can play center in the NBA, hopefully for the Knicks, the next P A T R I C K EWING. What alternative universe do you live in?  ::)

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »

Agree Simon could probably play some 4 but we legitimately have 6 guys who would be asked to do it first. And I never thought of Dom pointer as scrawny.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kjd01067

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 08:24:06 PM »
If Justin Simon plays PF this season we suck...

Poison

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2017, 08:51:39 PM »

Agree Simon could probably play some 4 but we legitimately have 6 guys who would be asked to do it first. And I never thought of Dom pointer as scrawny.

That's bec Dom was never scrawny. He had a Big East body as a freshman. His size was never his problem. I don't understand what makes anyone think that Simon could play the 4. Has anyone ever seen him do that?

Foad

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »
I don't understand what makes anyone think that Simon could play the 4

The larger question is how that might be beneficial. Theoretically Ponds could play the four but it wouldn't be good for anyone.

redslope

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2017, 10:57:39 PM »
I don't understand what makes anyone think that Simon could play the 4

The larger question is how that might be beneficial. Theoretically Ponds could play the four but it wouldn't be good for anyone.

Simon plays 4 if we only dress 5 players including ponds, Lovett and Trimble.

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 04:33:56 AM »

That's bec Dom was never scrawny. He had a Big East body as a freshman. His size was never his problem. I don't understand what makes anyone think that Simon could play the 4. Has anyone ever seen him do that?

Although Dom did play some 4 for the team at certain times, he was able to plenty of defensive rebounds playing the 3. They only really played him at the 4 when they needed him to out of necessity because the front court rotation was thin.

I was more referencing Pointers ability to make the key play on the defensive side of the ball and turn it into easy transition points. He had a knack for it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:36:15 AM by Johnny4Life »

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 05:47:21 PM »

How would you classify 6'5/6'6 196 as a senior? Skinny? That's certainly not big anywhere outside of St. John's. Trimble is 6'2 and already 200 lbs in high school. Revisionist history puts Dom at 6'7 230. One poster even said he was "much bigger" than 6'7 235 Marvin Clark -- who looks like the freaking hulk.

Everyone follow me carefully on this one, I never said Simon would play PF. That doesn't make much sense when we already have Clark, Yakwe, Wilson, Ahmed, and Alibegovic to play the position and just just four guards. I said he COULD play PF if had the mindset BUT almost nobody with his profile accepts that role. He's 6'5 210 -- already 14 lbs heavier than Dom was as a senior. He's the same height as Dom with a 7'1 wingspan -- bigger than 80-90% of college PFs. He has the athletic ability of a guard. Half of you people said the same things when I suggested Dom's best position in college was PF his freshman through junior years.

In college you can successfully play PF as a guard or SF as long as you create a net positive. That means your perimeter strengths do more damage to your opponent than your weaknesses inside do to your team. 

Poison

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »

How would you classify 6'5/6'6 196 as a senior? Skinny? That's certainly not big anywhere outside of St. John's. Trimble is 6'2 and already 200 lbs in high school. Revisionist history puts Dom at 6'7 230. One poster even said he was "much bigger" than 6'7 235 Marvin Clark -- who looks like the freaking hulk.

Everyone follow me carefully on this one, I never said Simon would play PF. That doesn't make much sense when we already have Clark, Yakwe, Wilson, Ahmed, and Alibegovic to play the position and just just four guards. I said he COULD play PF if had the mindset BUT almost nobody with his profile accepts that role. He's 6'5 210 -- already 14 lbs heavier than Dom was as a senior. He's the same height as Dom with a 7'1 wingspan -- bigger than 80-90% of college PFs. He has the athletic ability of a guard. Half of you people said the same things when I suggested Dom's best position in college was PF his freshman through junior years.

In college you can successfully play PF as a guard or SF as long as you create a net positive. That means your perimeter strengths do more damage to your opponent than your weaknesses inside do to your team. 

You said Pointer was scrawny. Do you know what that word means?

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »

Relative to other high major players his height, he was in the bottom 15% in weight. Compared to you he's not scrawny. Compared to Ahmed, Clark, and Simon he's scrawny. Phil Greene weighed the same as him at 6'1/6'2 and nobody would classify Greene as a remotely big guard.

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »

Relative to other high major players his height, he was in the bottom 15% in weight. Compared to you he's not scrawny. Compared to Ahmed, Clark, and Simon he's scrawny. Phil Greene weighed the same as him at 6'1/6'2 and nobody would classify Greene as a remotely big guard.
We are you getting these weights? I would not trust the listing could be using HS weight throughout college years. Anyway Pointer was more well put together than Simon.

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
Calling a senior Dom Pointer scrawny is ridiculous.

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 09:13:38 PM »
Calling a senior Dom Pointer scrawny is ridiculous.
As Clark Kellogg would say He's cut like cable wire.

Foad

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

Come on. Pointer is listed at 6'5" 200 pounds on ESPN. If that's the bottom 15 percent most guys who are 6'5" weigh 250 pounds and as many weigh 280 pounds as weigh 200. You're being ridiculous. 

This guy might look scrawny to you

but he doesn't look scrawny to anyone else.

This is Justin Simon

I have bigger biceps than that, and I'm an alcoholic dinosaur.

I'll give you this: compared to Clark he looks scrawny. Because that boy looks like Lou Ferrigno.

MCNPA

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 09:23:36 PM »
Simon apparently has put on a ton of muscle in the season he's been here fwiw.  He is still a guard/point forward.   To sure he defends like Sir'Dom, but he's a better ball handler and passer by a mile at the same size.,  Dom was one of my favorite players ever at SJU.  Guy had amazing motor.

Looks a ton bigger now...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8vT-VKW0AAOUxk.jpg
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:26:15 PM by MCNPA »