Rothstein Piece on Simon/Clark Impact

• 49 replies

redslope

Re: Rothstein Piece on Simon/Clark Impact
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 10:33:46 PM »
Dom was a freak of a physical athlete.  Not to take anything away from Simon who we have not seen in an SJU uniform but Dom had an attitude that was special.  He always went at more than 100% and did not take crap.  He would take on any challenge.  Need to see if Simon has the same mind set because that was made Dom special. 

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 10:47:21 PM »
Simon apparently has put on a ton of muscle in the season he's been here fwiw.  He is still a guard/point forward.   To sure he defends like Sir'Dom, but he's a better ball handler and passer by a mile at the same size.,  Dom was one of my favorite players ever at SJU.  Guy had amazing motor.

Looks a ton bigger now...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8vT-VKW0AAOUxk.jpg
That picture looks more like a painting. Maybe the artist was Marillac and he enhanced the picture.  ;) :)

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »
Yeah, Pointer was a monster and the most jacked 6'5 196 pounder the world has ever seen.  Clark, Artest, and Grant were mere boys compared to that 196. No other 6'5 player will ever be able to play PF again.  I think I got it.

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 11:54:49 PM »
Yeah, Pointer was a monster and the most jacked 6'5 196 pounder the world has ever seen.  Clark, Artest, and Grant were mere boys compared to that 196. No other 6'5 player will ever be able to play PF again.  I think I got it.

You should just follow D3 basketball as I am sure there are quite a few 6'5 PFs, you can watch them to your heart's content.  ;)

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2017, 12:38:54 AM »

MCNPA

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2017, 12:47:57 AM »
I honestly don't get it.   I'm 6'2" and 260.  Definitely not in my best shape ever but would be 6'2"
and shredded at 210lbs.  These guys look massive at their height and weights respectively... 

Poison

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
I'm hoping Simon can become a similar player as Pointer with a better shot and handle. If that happens, we are in good shape.

Simon actually taller than Balamou I believe.  Balamou' skill set at 6'3" was definitely more PF than guard.  Simon, that is not the case. 

Simon is Balamou's size. This is the same staff that got excited about the prospect of using Balamou at the 4. Maybe they don't know what the numbers mean?

They were all listed around 6'4 to 6'5 and in the range of 195 to 205. But I don't think Simons game is nothing like Balamou's. He should be that perfect fit in the guard rotation to stick him on the opposing teams guard that has size and play some hard defense with rebounding skills. That's where the Pointer reference was mentioned. How many times did we see Pointer make a key play on the defensive side (block, steal, rebound) that led to some easy transition points? I'm hoping Simon will be that guy.

I think we'd all be thrilled with that but Pointer was bigger and stronger from what I can tell. Pointer played power forward and even center in the BE at 6'5. Justin Simon would have to be one helluva player to be that versatile.

Pointer was scrawny. He didn't even weigh 200 lbs as a senior. Simon already weighed 210 last year. They are also the same height but Simon has longer arms. There is very little doubt Simon could excel at the four in college if he had the right mindset and accepted that role. Almost nobody with his profile does, though.

Agree Simon could probably play some 4 but we legitimately have 6 guys who would be asked to do it first. And I never thought of Dom pointer as scrawny.

That's bec Dom was never scrawny. He had a Big East body as a freshman. His size was never his problem. I don't understand what makes anyone think that Simon could play the 4. Has anyone ever seen him do that?

How would you classify 6'5/6'6 196 as a senior? Skinny? That's certainly not big anywhere outside of St. John's. Trimble is 6'2 and already 200 lbs in high school. Revisionist history puts Dom at 6'7 230. One poster even said he was "much bigger" than 6'7 235 Marvin Clark -- who looks like the freaking hulk.

Everyone follow me carefully on this one, I never said Simon would play PF. That doesn't make much sense when we already have Clark, Yakwe, Wilson, Ahmed, and Alibegovic to play the position and just just four guards. I said he COULD play PF if had the mindset BUT almost nobody with his profile accepts that role. He's 6'5 210 -- already 14 lbs heavier than Dom was as a senior. He's the same height as Dom with a 7'1 wingspan -- bigger than 80-90% of college PFs. He has the athletic ability of a guard. Half of you people said the same things when I suggested Dom's best position in college was PF his freshman through junior years.

In college you can successfully play PF as a guard or SF as long as you create a net positive. That means your perimeter strengths do more damage to your opponent than your weaknesses inside do to your team. 

You said Pointer was scrawny. Do you know what that word means?

Relative to other high major players his height, he was in the bottom 15% in weight. Compared to you he's not scrawny. Compared to Ahmed, Clark, and Simon he's scrawny. Phil Greene weighed the same as him at 6'1/6'2 and nobody would classify Greene as a remotely big guard.

So compared to Ahmed, Dom Pointer is scrawny? I think you need to get your eyes checked.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:30:29 AM by Poison »

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
Pointer relied mostly on his strength, athleticism, and power to get to the hoop. "Scrawny" should be a word to describe guys like Dwayne Polee.

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
Just agree to disagree and move on lol

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 03:21:11 AM »
I honestly don't get it.   I'm 6'2" and 260.  Definitely not in my best shape ever but would be 6'2"
and shredded at 210lbs.  These guys look massive at their height and weights respectively... 

It's because they have shockingly low levels of fat due to all of the H.I.I.T. they do. Their power compared to football players is a joke. At the NBA combine basketball players do reps of 185 and the strongest players put up no more than 10-15 reps while most are way below that. Football players do reps of 225 at every college and combine. High school football combines use 185 for reps and most kids are turning in 20+ reps by 10th grade.

Most basketball players also don't take legs seriously at all and that is 10-15 lbs of muscle they don't have relative to their upper bodies.  You can easily see the difference between fake strong kids and guys like Sean Evans and Marvin Clark.