17-18 Player Contributions

• 179 replies
Re: 17-18 Player Contributions
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2017, 08:35:22 PM »
Starting isn't as important as who is on the court for the final four minutes...

Ponds, Lovett, Simon, Clark and Owens.

Starting is pretty important, especially when you're not in  games at the end
True Baldi, but if we're not in games at the end, or in a position to win in the last four minutes...then it becomes baseball season real quick.

Poison

« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
Lovett Ponds simon clark Owens
 Ahmed first in if we need offense
 Yakwe if we need defense.

We're not going to start our senior?

St John's is such a talented 14 win team that a junior who averaged 14 points a game and led the team in rebounds as a senior gets to be sixth man, unless they need defense, which they do, because the defense stinks, then he gets to be seventh man. Good position to be in to have that kind of depth.

So what’s your our starting five?  Ahmed at 4 and Yakwe at 5 is smallest front court option we have. Starting bashir and Owens leaves two 6’7 pf’s off the bench.

I expect Lovett, Ponds, Ahmed, Yawke, Clarke/Owens to start. The guards are the two best players on the team, Ahmed's a senior who averaged 13 and 5 as a junior, Yawke's a two year starter and someone needs to play center. 

The problem with Ahmed as the sixth man is that it plays into his weakness, which is a tendency to play out of control. Because the message it sends to him is that it's his role to go in and make something happen on offense, whereas ideally he'd let the game come to him.

What has happened to Yakwe from the end of last season to now that puts him in the starting line up? Last season he started out of necessity.

Marillac

« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:52 PM »
Lovett Ponds simon clark Owens
 Ahmed first in if we need offense
 Yakwe if we need defense.

We're not going to start our senior?

St John's is such a talented 14 win team that a junior who averaged 14 points a game and led the team in rebounds as a senior gets to be sixth man, unless they need defense, which they do, because the defense stinks, then he gets to be seventh man. Good position to be in to have that kind of depth.

So what’s your our starting five?  Ahmed at 4 and Yakwe at 5 is smallest front court option we have. Starting bashir and Owens leaves two 6’7 pf’s off the bench.

I expect Lovett, Ponds, Ahmed, Yawke, Clarke/Owens to start. The guards are the two best players on the team, Ahmed's a senior who averaged 13 and 5 as a junior, Yawke's a two year starter and someone needs to play center. 

The problem with Ahmed as the sixth man is that it plays into his weakness, which is a tendency to play out of control. Because the message it sends to him is that it's his role to go in and make something happen on offense, whereas ideally he'd let the game come to him.

What has happened to Yakwe from the end of last season to now that puts him in the starting line up? Last season he started out of necessity.

He's going to get 20 mins this year regardless of how he plays.

Marillac

« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2017, 09:01:31 PM »
Unless Yakwe surpassed Owens in practice, Owens deserves to be in the starting 5, at least for first game of season.

Owens averaged 18 mpg last year when we needed him to play 30. I'd rather him miss the first 3-4 minutes of each half than the last. He also changes the game instantly, and that is a big deal with a short bench.

Agree that his minutes were a problem and that he makes sense as a sixth man because he's about the only player they have who can change the game by entering it. But his 18 minutes last year were a little misleading. He played 67 minutes over the first 5 and 65 minutes over the last 6 and and 15 versus Delaware (4 minutes) and Tulane (11). That's 147 minutes in 13 games, 11 mpg. (Four of the seven games he fouled out of were in the pre-season - Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, LIU.) In the remaining 20 he played ~  23 minutes pg, the bulk of that versus the BE. Which is not outlandish, for a first year player. It may be that he wasn't not as fragile as we think, or as dumb. Maybe he was just a mite too enthusiastic.

Let's hope he can average 25 mpg this year. He's also a very solid FT shooter for a big man.

Marillac

« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2017, 09:11:08 PM »
John Fanta‏
@John_Fanta
Talking to @StJohnsBball's Marvin Clark & Justin Simon, they said Bryan Trimble's toughness has stood out. High praise for a freshman #sjubb

I'm really hoping this kid is an animal on d and on the glass. It's about time we landed a wing that can can bully people around.

Foad

« Reply #165 on: October 09, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »

I have no idea what Yawke has done or not done in his 20 odd years on earth outside the 1000 minutes I've watched him play basketball on the telly, much less from the end of last season until now. My guess is that having started for two years he'll start for a third. Or maybe he won't. I'm not arguing in favor of it or emotionally invested in whether it happens.

« Reply #166 on: October 09, 2017, 09:36:15 PM »
Unless Yakwe surpassed Owens in practice, Owens deserves to be in the starting 5, at least for first game of season.

Owens averaged 18 mpg last year when we needed him to play 30. I'd rather him miss the first 3-4 minutes of each half than the last. He also changes the game instantly, and that is a big deal with a short bench.

Agree that his minutes were a problem and that he makes sense as a sixth man because he's about the only player they have who can change the game by entering it. But his 18 minutes last year were a little misleading. He played 67 minutes over the first 5 and 65 minutes over the last 6 and and 15 versus Delaware (4 minutes) and Tulane (11). That's 147 minutes in 13 games, 11 mpg. (Four of the seven games he fouled out of were in the pre-season - Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, LIU.) In the remaining 20 he played ~  23 minutes pg, the bulk of that versus the BE. Which is not outlandish, for a first year player. It may be that he wasn't not as fragile as we think, or as dumb. Maybe he was just a mite too enthusiastic.

Let's hope he can average 25 mpg this year. He's also a very solid FT shooter for a big man.

I hope he plays well and fills his minutes effectively...

That said, Yakwe is a 6'7 forward forced to play center.  While he improved FT's in year 2, his 59% at the line is not very good.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:36:49 PM by RedStormNC »

cjfish

« Reply #167 on: October 09, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »
People are sleeping on JSimon starting. I lean towards the 3 guard lineup to start out, with Bash and Yakwe complimenting their free flowing, fast break driven offense. I think CM will go with this lineup especially against smaller teams. To be able to bring a 6'7 Clark and 6'10 Owens off the bench will be very dangerous for opponents. Add in solid contributions from Bryan Trimble and Amar and this team is pretty deep.

The Shamorie/Marcus combo should gain national attention this year, they're that good together. Healthy conversation to have bc for the first time since the 2014-15 season we have a loaded roster.

Who is going to  rebound to start the break.  Don't think this team is strong enough.  I like Owens Clark starting. 

QuanMan

« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
People are sleeping on JSimon starting. I lean towards the 3 guard lineup to start out, with Bash and Yakwe complimenting their free flowing, fast break driven offense. I think CM will go with this lineup especially against smaller teams. To be able to bring a 6'7 Clark and 6'10 Owens off the bench will be very dangerous for opponents. Add in solid contributions from Bryan Trimble and Amar and this team is pretty deep.

The Shamorie/Marcus combo should gain national attention this year, they're that good together. Healthy conversation to have bc for the first time since the 2014-15 season we have a loaded roster.

Who is going to  rebound to start the break.  Don't think this team is strong enough.  I like Owens Clark starting. 

Shamorie (4.5 rpg) and Bash (5.5 rpg) can gang rebound throughout the first stanza of the game, this is only against smaller lineups mind you.  This is their quickest scoring lineup that would be most adept to the run and gun offense that Mullin covets.
Section 3
Section 116

cjfish

« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
The team doesn't need more than Ponds, Lovett and Bash flying.....Owens and Clark will get the ball of the boards better and are still reasonably quick.  Simon and Trimble provide more quickness off the bench.  Agree that the guards will rebound well but the team must correct the glaring rebound deficiency of last year in order to be effective.

Marillac

« Reply #170 on: October 10, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »

This is literally the best aspect of Simon's game, which is why him at the three surrounded by two big time ball handlers makes us more dangerous than him playing guard.
I'd also put Shamorie up in a 50/50 ball situation against just about anyone. He has elite hands.

We need as many easy points as possible, because I don't think we have the staff to be a defensive-minded team. That takes obsession over detail, and someone to be the bad guy.  I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong.

Poison

« Reply #171 on: October 10, 2017, 07:22:01 PM »

I hope he plays well and fills his minutes effectively...

That said, Yakwe is a 6'7 forward forced to play center.  While he improved FT's in year 2, his 59% at the line is not very good.

As a freshman, Yakwe had several tremendous games. What he returned with the following season wasn't anything like he was that first year. If there's any chance of him getting back to where he was when he played like a pro against Xavier and Marquette he needs start getting after it. He used to. What happened to that guy? Sima was our promising freshman center. Yakwe took over at center and he was better. By a lot.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:23:54 PM by Poison »

QuanMan

« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
Justin Simon through 4 games is averaging:

10.3 ppg *on only 8 FGA/pg*
9.5 rpg
3.8 apg
2.8 spg
1.0 bpg

All while shooting 53% from the field. Safe to say he's a upgrade over Malik.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »

9.5 rpg
3.8 apg
2.8 spg
1.0 bpg

Going to get a triple double this year. Almost had one yesterday

QuanMan

« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
Also to note through 4 games, small sample sizes I know:

Shamorie has increased his rebounding prowess exponentially while showing scouts his ability to dish. Averaging 17.3 ppg/7.3 rpg/4.0 apg/1.8 spg. Only 4 games in but his stat lines are up in nearly every category sans FG and 3P% which are atrocious early, that will most definitely change so you have to figure that he's really in for a big time year. 

Bash's FG% is slightly up but what everyone focuses on most with him (FGA) is nearly identical YOY (10.8 FGA).

Tariq is rebounding and blocking at a higher clip, and Marcus is shooting at a much more efficient rate from the field and 3.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »

9.5 rpg
3.8 apg
2.8 spg
1.0 bpg

Huge upgrade over Malik.  I wish he had been up to the challenge to improve and fight for minutes... but oh well. 

I sort of wanted to see Simon and Trimble run the point during garbage time to see if they could run the team and set up the O. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:53:10 PM by Towerofshred »

Marillac

« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »

9.5 rpg
3.8 apg
2.8 spg
1.0 bpg

You can't count yesterday. It was against a d-2 team that was projected to finish at the bottom of their conference. It doesn't count for record and shouldn't count for stats.

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2017, 05:11:31 PM »

9.5 rpg
3.8 apg
2.8 spg
1.0 bpg

You can't count yesterday. It was against a d-2 team that was projected to finish at the bottom of their conference. It doesn't count for record and shouldn't count for stats.
But it does count for the record and it does count for the stats hence the reason we are considered 4-0. Only thing that doesn't count about Molloy game is NCAA tourney consideration. Please all commit this to memory so we can all stop with the back and forth over whether this game was an exhibition, pre-season, regular season, play off or Super Bowl game.

Marillac

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »

9.5 rpg
3.8 apg
2.8 spg
1.0 bpg

But it does count for the record and it does count for the stats hence the reason we are considered 4-0. Only thing that doesn't count about Molloy game is NCAA tourney consideration. Please all commit this to memory so we can all stop with the back and forth over whether this game was an exhibition, pre-season, regular season, play off or Super Bowl game.

The RPI and the selection comitttee don't consider it...neither should we. They aren't a top 500 team nationally.

« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »

9.5 rpg
3.8 apg
2.8 spg
1.0 bpg

The RPI and the selection comitttee don't consider it...neither should we. They aren't a top 500 team nationally.
Maybe, but we don't get to decide these matters for ourselves. We are an NCAA member institution and must abide by there rules.