17-18 Player Contributions

• 179 replies
Re: 17-18 Player Contributions
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
Ponds-17ppg
Lovett-15 ppg, 4 dimes, 23 times late for practice / class, 120 threads about him.
Ahmed- 11 ppg, 5 boards, 3 charges, 7 bad shots, 2 WASJU broken remote controls
Clark- 10ppg, 6 rebs, 1000 comparisons to Glover, Middleton, Grant, Singleton
Simon-8ppg
Owens-7ppg 6 boards, 2 blocks
Yakwe- 4ppg, 3 boards, 3 dropped passes, 1000 posts about "what happened to him"
Wilson-3ppg, 2 boards
Trimble-1.5 ppg
Alibegovic-1.5 ppg-One game where he goes for 15 and 8, 100 posts on "why can't our 10th man can't do that every game?"

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
Simon will be able to guard the big guards that torched us last season.

This. We couldn't guard anyone 6'2-6'7 with a handle.
I thought Simon was a PF, not many PF are asked to guard a G with a handle.  ;) :)

I could see how me writing he won't play PF could make you think I was saying he was a PF. 🙄

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 06:15:17 PM »
Love it with every bit the offensive game equal to Walden matches his point total again. 

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 06:16:17 PM »
If we get double digit points and 6 rebounds from Clark, we will be in the NCAA next year.

Thats exactly my thinking

Team still needs to defend. Everyone can't be a three point shooter. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have, but we can't put up 75 if the other team puts up 90. Clark and Simon, and Ahmed and even Alibegivic need to set the tone for defense. If Mullin is going to truly bring this program back, all of our guys needs to get after it on d.

One thing that stands out to me is that 17-18 will be much more equipped to press than last year's team. Mussini, Freudenberg, Williams and Sima couldn't move their feet. Ellison improved on d a little, so I'm not throwing him in there with the others, but if you compare the guys who left to the new guys, Wilson, Simon, Clark and Trimble, we should be able to d up like a BE team.

If someone gets hurt? That's ALL on the staff for thinking 10 guys were enough. I couldn't stand Norm Roberts, but his depleted rosters came with an excuse.

Defense has to start with Lovett and Ponds. They need to keep the guards in front of them. Otherwise our bigs won't be in the game for long with foul trouble. Again

Id be more concerned if I didnt think Lovett and especially Ponds can be really good defenders. But if they dont play better d then our ceiling will not be reached.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:17:04 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
Love it with every bit the offensive game equal to Walden matches his point total again. 

Love that you are gonna fight this one to the death and it is not far off, but the hmm, idk ... how about aplomb that Ponds shows around the basket is something Lovett doesn't quite have.

NYCoffey

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »
Ponds-17ppg
Lovett-15 ppg, 4 dimes, 23 times late for practice / class, 120 threads about him.
Ahmed- 11 ppg, 5 boards, 3 charges, 7 bad shots, 2 WASJU broken remote controls
Clark- 10ppg, 6 rebs, 1000 comparisons to Glover, Middleton, Grant, Singleton
Simon-8ppg
Owens-7ppg 6 boards, 2 blocks
Yakwe- 4ppg, 3 boards, 3 dropped passes, 1000 posts about "what happened to him"
Wilson-3ppg, 2 boards
Trimble-1.5 ppg
Alibegovic-1.5 ppg-One game where he goes for 15 and 8, 100 posts on "why can't our 10th man can't do that every game?"

Well done

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2017, 07:01:08 PM »

Crazy talk.

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2017, 01:17:10 AM »

Crazy talk.

Shot a better percentage from the field and from three in their initial season.

If Ponds and/or Lovett prove me wrong next season - I'll be the first to admit it.

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »

Crazy talk.

If Ponds and/or Lovett prove me wrong next season - I'll be the first to admit it.

I am with you on this one Carmine.

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »
Since it's the beginning of the summer, it's a perfect time to day dream about actually being good again.

Here's how I think the player production will play out.
Of course, this is just a guess, so keep that in mind.

Starters
SG Ponds - 18.5 PPG | 4.4 rebounds | 3.1 assists | 2 steals
PG LoVett - 12 PPG | 5.3 assists | 1.9 steals
SF Simon - 6.8 PPG | 4.3 rebounds | 3.5 assists | 2.1 steals
PF Ahmed - 12.1 PPG | 4.8 rebounds | .7 assists
C Owens - 7.5 PPG | 7.1 rebounds | 1.1 assists | 2.2 blocks

Bench
PF/C Yakwe - 3.5 PPG | 2.5 rebounds | 1 block
PF/C Clark Jr - 4.2 PPG | 6.1 rebounds
SF/PF Alibegovic - (in limited time) 4.1 PPG | 3.1 rebounds 
SG Trimble - 3.1 PPG | 1 rebound
SF Wilson - 2.7 PPG | 1.3 rebounds | .8 blocks
Ellison, the player we all loved to hate averaged 7.4 last year, are we really expecting a top 30 recruit like Simon to score less?

Yes, I am. Ellison played on two teams with very few options. He had the opportunity.
I know rankings aren't everything, but as a recruit Simon was ranked higher than Tyler Dorsey, Donovan Mitchell, Tyler Lydon and Marcus LoVett. I really hope we're underestimating how good this kid is.

Poison

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
Since it's the beginning of the summer, it's a perfect time to day dream about actually being good again.

Starters

Bench
Ellison, the player we all loved to hate averaged 7.4 last year, are we really expecting a top 30 recruit like Simon to score less?

Yes, I am. Ellison played on two teams with very few options. He had the opportunity.
I know rankings aren't everything, but as a recruit Simon was ranked higher than Tyler Dorsey, Donovan Mitchell, Tyler Lydon and Marcus LoVett. I really hope we're underestimating how good this kid is.

I expect Simon to be better than Ellison. I expect him to be a defensive stopper but that's only because of what I've read about him. Ellison scored over 7 a game only because he was a good 3 point shooter. Simon apparently isn't. Since we have a roster loaded with guys who can shoot the 3, I think Simon is likely not to be guy taking too many of them. That's not to say he's not good, but that's one reason why I think he'll score less. But hey, who knows?

ras

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
Simon has been coached by Mitch and Mullin. You have to figure his shooting has improved. We will see how much soon enough.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2017, 11:41:01 AM »
Simon has been coached by Mitch and Mullin. You have to figure his shooting has improved. We will see how much soon enough.

That's what we're all hoping. It's why a lot of these kids picked St.John's.

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »

Crazy talk.

I am with you on this one Carmine.

I've always known you to be a reasonable man.

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2017, 04:52:10 PM »

Starters

Bench

I expect Simon to be better than Ellison. I expect him to be a defensive stopper but that's only because of what I've read about him. Ellison scored over 7 a game only because he was a good 3 point shooter. Simon apparently isn't. Since we have a roster loaded with guys who can shoot the 3, I think Simon is likely not to be guy taking too many of them. That's not to say he's not good, but that's one reason why I think he'll score less. But hey, who knows?

Simon is going to both create and score a ton of very easy baskets, especially while on the court with Ponds. The posters mentioning the Mullin/Mitch shooting definitely have a point too. Everyone shoots as good or better than we expected. If only defense were that way.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:52:42 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:59 AM »

Starters

Bench

Simon is going to both create and score a ton of very easy baskets, especially while on the court with Ponds. The posters mentioning the Mullin/Mitch shooting definitely have a point too. Everyone shoots as good or better than we expected. If only defense were that way.

Our Andre Iguodala
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:24:46 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2017, 04:41:24 AM »

Starters

Bench

Our Andre Iguodala

Yep, or to keep it more familiar, a taller Paris Horne without the jumper and with a handle (for a SF/SG).  It was crazy to me how many easy points we got when Paris was on the court, especially with Boothe. That will be a welcome addition to the team because I've never seen a group get less easy points than the last two years. It's hard to win games when you give up 15+ uncontested or lightly contested its per game and don't do the same or better yourself.

wpc77

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2017, 09:51:52 AM »

Starters

Bench

Our Andre Iguodala

Yep, or to keep it more familiar, a taller Paris Horne without the jumper and with a handle (for a SF/SG).  It was crazy to me how many easy points we got when Paris was on the court, especially with Boothe. That will be a welcome addition to the team because I've never seen a group get less easy points than the last two years. It's hard to win games when you give up 15+ uncontested or lightly contested its per game and don't do the same or better yourself.

That's what happens when you only have 3 major level players on your roster.  This year we will have 5, hopefully 7 if Wilson develops quickly and the coaches teach ahmed how to best utilize his talents

Poison

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »

Starters

Bench

Our Andre Iguodala

That's what happens when you only have 3 major level players on your roster.  This year we will have 5, hopefully 7 if Wilson develops quickly and the coaches teach ahmed how to best utilize his talents

I think Ahmed's development will be on his shoulders. The staff wants him to stop hogging the ball, and at times he did share it more. They all did, but when shots don't fall, we see a greedier style of play. As a senior, it's on him to settle things down, as opposed to making them significantly worse. We've had seniors who did the little things well, like box out and go all out for loose balls. Ahmed does none of the little things. That's what is missing from his game, and it's missing in the form of leadership anywhere on the team.

Marillac

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2017, 04:30:18 AM »

Starters

Bench

Our Andre Iguodala

I think Ahmed's development will be on his shoulders. The staff wants him to stop hogging the ball, and at times he did share it more. They all did, but when shots don't fall, we see a greedier style of play. As a senior, it's on him to settle things down, as opposed to making them significantly worse. We've had seniors who did the little things well, like box out and go all out for loose balls. Ahmed does none of the little things. That's what is missing from his game, and it's missing in the form of leadership anywhere on the team.

I think the staff was pretty clear in how often they wanted him to be aggressive and take it to the hole. They said he would "live at the free throw line." Simon and Clark both relieve him of some of the  pressure of being the only non-guard who can score.