Thoughts on the scrimmage

• 62 replies

Marillac

Thoughts on the scrimmage
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:48:15 AM »
The board is eerily quiet for an opening night. I know you can't tell much from a scrimmage -- and this was loose even compared to normal scrimmages -- but here are some thoughts:

Simon looks freakishly athletic and  very strong finishing. He's a big kid and listed at 215 on the roster. When you take those extra 20 lbs into account, he's knocking on Dom's door athletically. Also nice to see was how he crashed the glass for finishes.

Ahmed is the only guy who can really dance on the roster. Beyond that, he looked more explosive than last year and finished some really strong dunks. His movement was more efficient as well.  If he can put it together as many JuCos do year two, that would be a huge boost.

T.O.'s body is disappointing. He's listed at just 205. It's inexcusable for him to be less than 225 this year. Any other major program would have had him near 240 by now. 

We have a lot of lefties.

Simon seemed happy to defer PG duties in the half court as expected.

Clark's outside shot looks nice for a big man. I would be surprised to see him around 40% if he limits his shots to 3-4 open looks a game.

Two years ago Lovett was faster than anyone I've ever seen compared to the rest of the players on the floor...last year he just looked quick...this year he didn't stand out at all. I take that as a sign that the athletic ability around him as improved significantly.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:50:02 AM by Marillac »

Re: Thoughts on the scrimmage
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 07:07:52 AM »
The board is eerily quiet for an opening night. I know you can't tell much from a scrimmage -- and this was loose even compared to normal scrimmages -- but here are some thoughts:

Simon looks freakishly athletic and  very strong finishing. He's a big kid and listed at 215 on the roster. When you take those extra 20 lbs into account, he's knocking on Dom's door athletically. Also nice to see was how he crashed the glass for finishes.

Ahmed is the only guy who can really dance on the roster. Beyond that, he looked more explosive than last year and finished some really strong dunks. His movement was more efficient as well.  If he can put it together as many JuCos do year two, that would be a huge boost.

T.O.'s body is disappointing. He's listed at just 205. It's inexcusable for him to be less than 225 this year. Any other major program would have had him near 240 by now. 

Clark's outside shot looks nice for a big man. I would be surprised to see him around 40% if he limits his shots to 3-4 open looks a game.

Two years ago Lovett was faster than anyone I've ever seen compared to the rest of the players on the floor...last year he just looked quick...this year he didn't stand out at all. I take that as a sign that the athletic ability around him as improved significantly.

Simon looks insane athletically and physically. Can see his vision over the top is really there and his rebound and go opportunities will be huge. Clark can have freedom to shoot some
3’s as long as he’s physical on defense and hunts down boards.

Owens will never be a big guy but you can see some more muscle in his arms and I’m hinesrlt not worried about him getting man handled in the post. He’s easily our best option at center and would love to see him get over 25 min a game.

Ponds is a clown. An extremely talented clown. 20 ppg.

We are gonna shoot so many threes it will be gross.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
How was the musical performance?

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
How was the musical performance?

You were great ;)

Poison

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:41:51 AM »

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/TorchSports/status/919010329060872193/photo/1

Torch Sports

@TorchSports

12h

BREAKING: Rapper Dave East tells students at St. John's Tip Off to "put up the middle finger for Donald Trump," students emphatically cheer.

View details ·    

Torch Sports

@TorchSportsReplying to @TorchSports

Students responded to East by displaying the vulgar symbol, at which point East says "keep them up there."pic.twitter.com/CRFEkOa6

Poison

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »

Torch Sports

@TorchSports

12h

BREAKING: Rapper Dave East tells students at St. John's Tip Off to "put up the middle finger for Donald Trump," students emphatically cheer.

View details ·   

Torch Sports

@TorchSportsReplying to @TorchSports

Students responded to East by displaying the vulgar symbol, at which point East says "keep them up there."pic.twitter.com/CRFEkOa6

As a result of this, 4 blue collar losers will not pay for season tickets this season. Instead, they will spend their money where it is appreciated.

But it shouldn't take a away the fact that it was a great moment of unity at St.John's and reflected the feelings of an America that will be there when Trump is sentenced.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:56:22 AM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 10:00:36 AM »

Torch Sports

@TorchSports

12h

View details ·   

Torch Sports

As a result of this, 4 blue collar losers will not pay for season tickets this season. Instead, they will spend their money where it is appreciated.

But it shouldn't take a away the fact that it was a great moment of unity at St.John's and reflected the feelings of an America that will be there when Trump is sentenced.
Can you guys discuss this some where else?

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 10:03:52 AM »
Any link to video of the scrimmage?

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »

Simon looks insane athletically and physically. Can see his vision over the top is really there and his rebound and go opportunities will be huge. Clark can have freedom to shoot some

Owens will never be a big guy but you can see some more muscle in his arms and I’m hinesrlt not worried about him getting man handled in the post. He’s easily our best option at center and would love to see him get over 25 min a game.

Like Syracuse gross? But will they go in?

How about the other frosh, Trimble?

Poison

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »

You mean the only frosh. Our lazy staff brought in one recruit.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
Trimble looked like he has a solid

Trimble looked like he had a pretty good stroke but it’s a low release. While his strength will help him in some regard and is certainly a nice contrast to our guards last year, I think he’s a bit out of shape and will struggle with quickness both staying and front and geting by defenders.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:22:29 PM by RedStormNC »

Poison

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »
Trimble looked like he has a solid

Trimble looked like he had a pretty good stroke but it’s a low release. While his strength will help him in some regard and is certainly a nice contrast to our guards last year, I think he’s a bit out of shape and will struggle with quickness both staying and front and geting by defenders.

Appreciate the analysis but how can we tell who is in shape when they aren't supposed to be going all out?

Wods317

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
You cannot tell anything from these scrimmages. The guys are going halfway and just trying to put on a show while staying healthy. Non of this translates to a real game. The only thing I took away from last night is that these kids seem to all really like and support each other. Team unity is obviously important. Looking froward to the season

Poison

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
You cannot tell anything from these scrimmages. The guys are going halfway and just trying to put on a show while staying healthy. Non of this translates to a real game. The only thing I took away from last night is that these kids seem to all really like and support each other. Team unity is obviously important. Looking froward to the season

Exactly. This isn't a real practice, nor should it ever be.

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »

Not saying if hes in shape or not, because Ive read good things about him for his summer here... but in the scrimmage he looks like the chubby kid from the playground. 

redslope

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 01:12:52 PM »

Main thing about the "Exhibition" is that no one got hurt.

Foad

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »

Yakwe catching and finishing was encouraging, as was Alibagowtz looking to rebound, as was Ahmed looking in control considering how out of control they were. Clark has a better handle than I expected, Simon is bigger than I expected and the two freshmen look reasonably coordinated. The dance wearing flannel shirts did little to hide the freshman and that fat guy dances worse than I do and I don't dance.

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »

Torch Sports

@TorchSports

12h

View details ·   

Torch Sports

Can you guys discuss this some where else?
Yes, please. We come here to escape this stuff.