St. John's wIll make the NCAA tournment if..

• 24 replies

Marillac

Re: St. John's wIll make the NCAA tournment if..
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 02:10:15 PM »
(1) Defense is at least average
(2) Rebounding by committee is top 3-4 in league
(3) Simon is for real
(4) One of Clark or Yakwe is very good and the other is good

Any or all of those?

Three of them probably gets us there. Four and we have the chance to win a game or two. Simon is the key.

The one thing that gives me hope is the gang rebounding potental led by Simon. Simon, Ahmed, Yakwe, Owens, Clark...throw in Trimble at 220 and even Shamorie "Hands" Ponds...that could look at awful lot like the Postell/Artest/Grant/Bootsy team on the glass. The potential is scary but someone has to bring it out of them.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 04:34:42 PM »
(1) Defense is at least average
(2) Rebounding by committee is top 3-4 in league
(3) Simon is for real
(4) One of Clark or Yakwe is very good and the other is good

Any or all of those?

Three of them probably gets us there. Four and we have the chance to win a game or two. Simon is the key.

The one thing that gives me hope is the gang rebounding potental led by Simon. Simon, Ahmed, Yakwe, Owens, Clark...throw in Trimble at 220 and even Shamorie "Hands" Ponds...that could look at awful lot like the Postell/Artest/Grant/Bootsy team on the glass. The potential is scary but someone has to bring it out of them.

We need an Artest, the one who hated losing... not the brawl starting one. 

isham

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »
If Chris coaches the team and not St Jean

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
I think we needed to add an experienced coach. We didn’t. Gang rebounding sounds great. Playing defense sounds great. Being physical would be amazing. Plenty of potential here. Rebounding isn’t an amazing unrealistic thing to try and improve on. The question is will the staff change, I don’t think so. I hope Amar got stronger and is practicing playing in the post, but I expect him still thinking he is a gunner. Will the other guys do what they need to improve as a team (not just take shots and score points- or block shots instead of box out)?
I believe we have good players. I am sure they want to win. They are athletic. Playing man to man defense isn’t rocket science. Playing it welltakes effort.
I think we find out early in the season. We need to come out strong . Get after teams. Don’t let their best players score on us. Have a defensive game plan.
Hopefully the new players bring some toughness. Simon is supposed to be a good defender. Clarke played at Michigan State. Hopefully they are leaders.
Our out of conference schedule is fair. Nebraska and Arizona state are ok. We have to do well in the preseason tournament.
Maybe if we just would have lost 78-59 or something in the last game I would be more positive. But we didn’t . 
St. Jean- the guy needs help. Often it looked like he had to much on his plate . He is young and inexperienced, hopefully he really focused on defense tempo this summer. We can’t compete giving up 40 plus points in the first half every game .( usually we give up way more)

desco80

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »
Need to stay healthy.   Can't afford major injuries ... the front court is thin and the backcourt is going to supply all the scoring.  Hard to imagine us making the tournament if any of our top 6 or 7 go down.