J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High)

• 305 replies

MCNPA

Re: J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High) - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »
Nice full class. Feels like a different program.

It's almost like there's a balanced roster. Six upperclassmen, seven underclassmen, six guards, eight forwards.

SR
Clark
Owens
Yakwe

JR
Ponds
Lovett
Simon

SO
Dixon
Trimble
Keita

FR
Brooks
Williams
Roberts
Diakite

It is always what they’ve said they wanted to do.  People just thought it should have been done in one season which would have been impossible.  Two things people thought weren’t possible, balanced recruiting and defense.  That and a coach who actually wants to be here...

Foad

« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »
Not being a kill joy but can see Yakwe leaving for sr year

Why would he transfer and sit out? He could contribute as a senior on a tournament team and play another year as a grad transfer at a school of his choosing.

I'm looking forward to the day when this program is not so hapless that its fans look for the black lining in every silver cloud. Well sure the roster's balanced but <this unpleasant thing might happen> ... Not because I resent the opinion, but because what it will say about the state of the program. Nova fans, Creighton fans, Xavier fans, and dare I say dewk fans, Kansas fans, Kentucky fans, whoever fans, they don't see every event as the equivalent of the Titanic hitting an iceberg. They see minor blips on an upward trajectory. SJU fans are conditioned to see everything as a disaster. Whereas I think the landscape is shifting: I think the staff knows what it's doing. I think there's a plan and it's coming together. I think all aboard.

Foad

« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »
Nice full class. Feels like a different program.

It's almost like there's a balanced roster. Six upperclassmen, seven underclassmen, six guards, eight forwards.

SR
Clark
Owens
Yakwe

JR
Ponds
Lovett
Simon

SO
Dixon
Trimble
Keita

FR
Brooks
Williams
Roberts
Diakite

It is always what they’ve said they wanted to do.  People just thought it should have been done in one season which would have been impossible.  Two things people thought weren’t possible, balanced recruiting and defense.  That and a coach who actually wants to be here...

Norm wanted to be here but was way over his head. Lavin wanted to be somewhere but was too scared of looking the fool to try to succeed here. Chris Mullins wants to be here and wants to win and has not demonstrated that he knows how to lose. I might have had too much egg nog - which is what you drink if you want to get a little drunk but also want pancakes - but I think worm is turned.

« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2017, 06:02:46 PM »
Yakwe is in year # 3 currently....only has one more year left of playing eligibility

sju89tr

« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2017, 06:21:03 PM »

Why would he transfer and sit out? He could contribute as a senior on a tournament team and play another year as a grad transfer at a school of his choosing.

I'm looking forward to the day when this program is not so hapless that its fans look for the black lining in every silver cloud. Well sure the roster's balanced but <this unpleasant thing might happen> ... Not because I resent the opinion, but because what it will say about the state of the program. Nova fans, Creighton fans, Xavier fans, and dare I say dewk fans, Kansas fans, Kentucky fans, whoever fans, they don't see every event as the equivalent of the Titanic hitting an iceberg. They see minor blips on an upward trajectory. SJU fans are conditioned to see everything as a disaster. Whereas I think the landscape is shifting: I think the staff knows what it's doing. I think there's a plan and it's coming together. I think all aboard.

He only has one year of eligibility left after this season.

goredmen

« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2017, 06:34:13 PM »
Looks like a kid that can make a play out of the low post with his back to the basket, something we haven't had in a very long time. Sould make life much easier for the guards

Foad

« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2017, 08:01:01 PM »

Thanks, I stand corrected. So the roster isn't balanced, Yakwe's gone, Mulliins doesn't know what he''s doing and the sky is falling. Merry xmas.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 08:01:32 PM by Foad »

« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »

Thanks, I stand corrected. So the roster isn't balanced, Yakwe's gone, Mulliins doesn't know what he''s doing and the sky is falling. Merry xmas.
How gracious of you to admit when you are wrong even thought the posters who pointed out your mistake were as gentle as possible. But hey maybe Foad is right, even if he uses up 4 years of eligibility if he graduates and transfers is he not a grad transfer?  ??? :-\ ::)

Marillac

« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2017, 04:27:30 AM »

That would be silly. Freshman bigs need a few years of seasoning and we will only have Owens, Clark, and Keita as experienced bigs. Two of them can't play 25 mpg due to foul trouble while the other is unproven.

Poison

« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »

I don’t want him to go, but it’s not insane for a kid who is likely looking at a career overseas to transfer after his junior year. He can sit out a full season from games, but during that same time he can be working on the parts of his game that need improvement, like anything he does with the ball in his hands. Furthermore, and this is the real reason why I think a player who is averaging 2 ppg might transfer to another school: he can get a grad degree from a school like Boston College, the University of Florida or Cal - might be well worth it.

That said, I’m really impressed with his improvement on defense this season. I feel like it’s unfair for anyone to expect him to start playing like Walter Berry. I see a very Donald Emanuel (maybe better) senior season in Red and White for this hard working kid.

wpc77

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2017, 12:17:39 AM »
Somewhat good news here, as J'Raan is confirmed NOT  to be player 8: https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-cherry-fbi-20171226-story,amp.html

Foad

« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
I don’t want him to go, but it’s not insane for a kid who is likely looking at a career overseas to transfer after his junior year. He can sit out a full season from games, but during that same time he can be working on the parts of his game that need improvement, like anything he does with the ball in his hands. Furthermore, and this is the real reason why I think a player who is averaging 2 ppg might transfer to another school: he can get a grad degree from a school like Boston College, the University of Florida or Cal - might be well worth it.

That said, I’m really impressed with his improvement on defense this season. I feel like it’s unfair for anyone to expect him to start playing like Walter Berry. I see a very Donald Emanuel (maybe better) senior season in Red and White for this hard working kid.

No doubt there are reasons why transferring might benefit a junior and the ones you cite are valid. Despite which I can't think of too many who have. If a junior were looking to improve his game it might make more sense to red shirt or maybe work harder - as opposed to uprooting himself to go somewhere where he's going to play ten more minutes a game for a year. On the other hand maybe he hates his coach and his team mates and he's dating some hewer he cant' stand or maybe he just has wanderlust. He's a teenager from Mali, I'm not going to pretend to have the vaguest idea what he's thinking or how. But unless you (royal) know him personally and he told you hey I'm thinking of transferring, it's all projection: well, if I were Yawke and I was looking at playing 20 minutes a game and players X Y Z were coming in I might transfer, so Yakwe must want to transfer too. Yeah well, if I were Yawke Yakwe'd have a nice 15 foot jump shot and he wouldn't have to worry about playing time and he'd be drowning in so much pussy he'd never want to leave.

Again, it annoys me - as many things do - that the sky is always falling. Just this morning I've read that Lovett's maybe leaving, and then Trimble's going, and if that happens and Yakwe leaves that's about a third of the roster, that kind of leaves the team in a bind, unless maybe Alibewotz has another year of eligibility.

Yakwe is frustrating. His freshman year I thought he was going to be an all BE player. Now I don't even know if he is a BE player. He shows flashes of what he could be in a sea of what he is. I don't care about the points so much but I don't understand zero rebounds in 20 minutes versus St Joe's and three rebounds in his last four games.  That's just unacceptable.

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »

That would be silly. Freshman bigs need a few years of seasoning and we will only have Owens, Clark, and Keita as experienced bigs. Two of them can't play 25 mpg due to foul trouble while the other is unproven.

Another reason I dont see Yakwe leaving is , hes the reason that Diakete is here.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »
No offense,  Yakwe seems like a nice kid, but I wouldn't be too upset if he transferred. Fact is he isn't very good at basketball.

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2017, 02:57:27 AM »
206HS/NWACScouting
@BillElleby
HS Boys 2017 @RMHInvitational Rancho Mirage CA Garfield WA 79 Valencia CA 57 F ESPN Top 100 2018 J’raan Brooks 6’9 F Garfield 18pts,12rebs @JraanBrooks @PaulBiancardi

Poison

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
No offense,  Yakwe seems like a nice kid, but I wouldn't be too upset if he transferred. Fact is he isn't very good at basketball.

This the Norm Roberts strategy that told Cedric Jackson, a guard who has played more NBA minutes than Dwight Hardy and Marcus Hatten. And I think you’re wrong about Yakwe not being good at basketball. He’s not well rounded and he doesn’t have an offensive game, but he has been a good defender this season, and we need someone to come in off the bench and be willing to take a charge. If you’ve played any organized ball you know, those really hurt. Yakwe embraces the opportunity. It doesn’t show up in a box score, but as fans we he’s doing it for the team.

Next season he probably won’t give us more than 4 or 5 points, but he can spend the entire season teaching J’Raan Brooks, Josh Roberts and Boubecar Diakite how to draw a charge.

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »

This the Norm Roberts strategy that told Cedric Jackson, a guard who has played more NBA minutes than Dwight Hardy and Marcus Hatten. And I think you’re wrong about Yakwe not being good at basketball. He’s not well rounded and he doesn’t have an offensive game, but he has been a good defender this season, and we need someone to come in off the bench and be willing to take a charge. If you’ve played any organized ball you know, those really hurt. Yakwe embraces the opportunity. It doesn’t show up in a box score, but as fans we he’s doing it for the team.

Next season he probably won’t give us more than 4 or 5 points, but he can spend the entire season teaching J’Raan Brooks, Josh Roberts and Boubecar Diakite how to draw a charge.

Agreed.  If things pan out, he's a senior leader coming off the bench giving us 15 minutes a game. Grabbing rebounds, taking charges, and providing leadership/mentorship is something those young guys could use.

Foad

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2017, 10:41:49 AM »
This the Norm Roberts strategy that told Cedric Jackson, a guard who has played more NBA minutes than Dwight Hardy and Marcus Hatten.

I know you hate Norm and everything he did was evil and wrong but that's neither true nor fair. Jackson was IIRC Norm's first recruit and Jackson himself said he left because “I was looking for playing time.” Gary Waters said "He wanted to make a difference and have a bigger role. He felt at St. John’s his role would remain the same. Though they wanted him to stay, he knew what I could do for him”.

Jackson shot 12 percent from 3 as a sophomore and 40 percent as a junior; under 50 percent from the FT line as a soph and nearly 70 as a junior. Seems like he looked at his shortcomings pretty honestly and worked hard to get better and transferred somewhere where that hard work would pay off. That's pretty rational thinking for a teenager. As opposed to the irrationality of "who cares about him, he's not very good at basketball" from an alleged adult.

Poison

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
This the Norm Roberts strategy that told Cedric Jackson, a guard who has played more NBA minutes than Dwight Hardy and Marcus Hatten.

I know you hate Norm and everything he did was evil and wrong but that's neither true nor fair. Jackson was IIRC Norm's first recruit and Jackson himself said he left because “I was looking for playing time.” Gary Waters said "He wanted to make a difference and have a bigger role. He felt at St. John’s his role would remain the same. Though they wanted him to stay, he knew what I could do for him”.

Jackson shot 12 percent from 3 as a sophomore and 40 percent as a junior; under 50 percent from the FT line as a soph and nearly 70 as a junior. Seems like he looked at his shortcomings pretty honestly and worked hard to get better and transferred somewhere where that hard work would pay off. That's pretty rational thinking for a teenager. As opposed to the irrationality of "who cares about him, he's not very good at basketball" from an alleged adult.

Why would Jackson want to leave if his role remained the same? He was the starting 2 guard. Waters doesn’t make any sense.