LoVett Done For Season

• 181 replies
Re: LoVett Done For Season
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2018, 06:21:51 PM »
The Mullin we need who use to ride his bike to Manhattan Beach play all morning then hop on the D train and go toe toe with Jackie Ryan is gone. That’s the guy we need.

Jack Ryan was nasty

Dan

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
Best guess. Wanted to make sure totally healthy,  then once looked like season got away the figured what's the point

Good guess I sense.

There's a reason we beat out powerhouse Illinois for his services

Do we really have to go through another lost season AND Baldi's 18000+ post troll shtick?

Ok. Please tell me why Lovett came to st. Johns

That's not what I had an issue with , what you said was factual-- it's the rubbing everyone's face in urine routine, it's tired

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »
I guess I should call Lovett’s Pop see if wants to play for my cousin with the Tijuana Zonkeys 😂🤣

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »
Best guess. Wanted to make sure totally healthy,  then once looked like season got away the figured what's the point

Good guess I sense.

There's a reason we beat out powerhouse Illinois for his services

Do we really have to go through another lost season AND Baldi's 18000+ post troll shtick?

Ok. Please tell me why Lovett came to st. Johns

That's not what I had an issue with , what you said was factual-- it's the rubbing everyone's face in urine routine, it's tired

Ok. I'm still asking. Why do you think Lovett came to St. Johns

Tiger

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2018, 06:32:10 PM »
How does Matt fill the scholarship?  I haven't looked, but most of the 4* and 5* are gone by now.  Might find a 3*.  Does SJU grab a 5th year guy?  any transfer would have to sit out which would mean the kid we grabbed from Sacred Heart would play a lot of minutes next year. 

Man, is sucks to be a fan of this team...

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
How does Matt fill the scholarship?  I haven't looked, but most of the 4* and 5* are gone by now.  Might find a 3*.  Does SJU grab a 5th year guy?  any transfer would have to sit out which would mean the kid we grabbed from Sacred Heart would play a lot of minutes next year. 

He has to go too. Failure to produce a team that actually wants to be here

Poison

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »
I think above everything, we are seeing the issues with hiring a coach with zero experience, who has been completely removed from college basketball for 25+ years.

That’s not true. He sat in the stands and watched games.

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2018, 06:56:07 PM »

Easy:  Markquis Nowell.   https://youtu.be/sVXv1VEKJjc

Give him 15 mpg at point and bring some structure to the team.

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2018, 06:58:00 PM »
The Lovett's appear to take their lead from the Balls, next step for Marcus is Lithuania.

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
A Phil Missere type we need for this team

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2018, 07:02:16 PM »
Anyway we can get Lavin back? At least when his players went AWOL we still made the tournament....

MCNPA

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2018, 07:13:18 PM »
Lovett' dad says it's not personal? Oh yes it is...

desco80

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 07:25:02 PM »
None of this makes sense though from Lovetts angle either.   Why sit out another season? He already redshirted.   He'll have one season of basketball out of the last 3 years.   Where's that going to get you a contract? 

And what athlete doesn't want to suit up and play once they're ready.    You got hurt, team is losing, so you just say f it I'm out ?   
I expect college athletes to be selfish, but this doesn't even seem to benefit him. 

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 07:26:30 PM »

I'm so tired of this "only recruit New York City kids" attitude a lot of the older fans have. Mullin stinks as a coach.  You really think in a season where he should be canned if we don't win 19+ games that it would be a good idea to give 15 mins to a freshman ranked in the 250s? When you have a guy who can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag you need to counter that by bringing in the most talented players possible. I don't care if he comes from Zimbabwe, fill Lovetts scholarship with the most talented point guard you can possibly get.

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »
This team's fans suck.

If a kid on scholarship is hurt, you can't pull his scholarship because he gets hurt.

And I'm certain that one, if not both, of the Hurleys would have prevented LoVett from hurting his knee in the first place.

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
This team's fans suck.

If a kid on scholarship is hurt, you can't pull his scholarship because he gets hurt.

And I'm certain that one, if not both, of the Hurleys would have prevented LoVett from hurting his knee in the first place.
Who's talking about pulling his scholarship? There's been rumors since last off-season of lovett leaving. Braziller tweeted its always been seen as a long shot he'd be back next year. Add in this injury fiasco and how old the kid is and I really doubt he puts on the red and white again.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:38:00 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

paultzman

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2018, 07:45:31 PM »
 SJU press release

QUEENS, N.Y. (Jan. 10, 2018) – The St. John’s men’s basketball program has announced that sophomore guard Marcus LoVett will miss the remainder of the 2017-18 campaign due to a left knee injury that he suffered in late November. Team physicians made the decision to sideline LoVett on Wednesday to focus on his rehabilitation, as he was not able to progress to on-court basketball activities.

“Marcus has a bright future ahead, so while it is disappointing that he will miss the remainder of the season, his long term health is the primary focus,” said St. John’s head coach Chris Mullin.

LoVett started all seven of his appearances this season and averaged 14.9 points per game. The Preseason Second Team All-BIG EAST selection dished out 12 assists and recorded 15 steals playing 32.7 minutes per contest.

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 07:49:06 PM »

I'm so tired of this "only recruit New York City kids" attitude a lot of the older fans have. Mullin stinks as a coach.  You really think in a season where he should be canned if we don't win 19+ games that it would be a good idea to give 15 mins to a freshman ranked in the 250s? When you have a guy who can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag you need to counter that by bringing in the most talented players possible. I don't care if he comes from Zimbabwe, fill Lovetts scholarship with the most talented point guard you can possibly get.

First of all, I've never been a recruit NYC guy. Get the best talent wherever it comes from. Second, this kid is a killer. He's not the type of talent Lovett is, but he'll suit up and compete every game and won't let his daddy make his decisions for him. Do you want to throw away a season with Ponds and Simon as juniors because we don't have have a kid we can hand the ball off to for taking the pressure off Ponds and setting up our shooters? I'm tired of this positionless crap. It works when guys are great, but we have to be good first. This team needs structure. Why look further than NYC when we produce 5 pgs a year that can help us?

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 07:49:19 PM »
None of this makes sense though from Lovetts angle either.   Why sit out another season? He already redshirted.   He'll have one season of basketball out of the last 3 years.   Where's that going to get you a contract? 

And what athlete doesn't want to suit up and play once they're ready.    You got hurt, team is losing, so you just say f it I'm out ?   
I expect college athletes to be selfish, but this doesn't even seem to benefit him. 

Not sure how all of that works but would not be surprised if he leaves school and already has something set up somewhere.

Marillac

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2018, 07:57:23 PM »

Not sure how all of that works but would not be surprised if he leaves school and already has something set up somewhere.

How does the Ball kids playing in Lithuania and Lavar running his mouth help them? The middle kid had no NBA future and now he can't play college ball. The other kid will be poison to GMs by the year's end.  These dads are sabotaging their kids futures to steal the limelight. Why did this old man have to make the announcement? He couldn't let SJU do it or even his son? How could that possibly end well?

And if he really cared about his kid's future why not let him showcase his skills against Jalen Brunson and Trevon Duval in front of scouts the next few weeks?