Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »
Look he's not getting fired.  It's not  happening.  Even with an utter complete disaster 2-16, 1-17 type of season I don't see it.

So don't waster your time.

My only thing is I don't want to see any more articles about how much he has improved the program, how we are so much better off after 3 years then if we had kept Lavin or hired someone else, the balance of the roster etc, etc...

The benefit of the doubt is gone.  He is no different than Steve Lavin.  In fact he is no different than Norm Roberts who was 7-9 in his 3rd year in a much more difficult BE and after taking over a complete dumpster fire his first 2 years.  Don't care anymore about 1985.  Don't care anymore about how Zach likes this staff so he is a great read.   By the way I'll dig up the tweet but Braziller tweeted a couple of years ago the plan was to be a top 25 program by year 3 (He tweeted that, he certainly got that from you know who).

Don't care anymore.  No more benefit of the doubt on borderline recruits or transfers.  The fact is if you look closely at what they landed and who they have beaten vs who has transferred out, who they have whiffed on, who they have lost to and throw the Slice drama, Sid Wilson dram and now the Marcus Lovett drama there is not much positive you can honestly say has happened since his hire.  Hard to believe but if you take an honest look you would be hard pressed to find 5 things you would say the program is better at then they were 3 years ago.

It's CM's job, he wanted it.  Staff change, no staff change.  Not my call and I don't care.  Fix it or take a hike.  But man assuming this year continues south, what an off season and what a year he needs to have next year....

I know he won't be fired this year, but if he has another season like this next year like you said he should be fired unless the administration is completely incompetent. I'm honestly still in shock that we're 0-5 in Big East play in year 3 of his tenure. It's an embarrassment, and complete and utter failure.

College basketball is all about coaches. You have a good coach you're going to be good. They will get the players, and they will get the players to play how they want. Chris Mullin is not a good coach, and he never will be mark my words. This guy is a joke. All he does is argue with the refs and get needless technical fouls. He doesn't know how to handle college players much less a major college program, and he doesn't know how to make the necessary adjustments to be a coach at this level. It's year 3 and he hasn't improved one bit.

I'm envious of other programs, even Iona, who have coaches who you know will have a good game-plan going into the game, and who will make the adjustments in a game to swing the momentum. Just look at the Creighton game, SJU was cruising along until McDermott (who is an awesome coach that Mullin couldn't even shine his shoes) made the adjustment and we caved like the Falcons in the Super Bowl. That's the kind of coach I want leading this program. Not some guy who had nothing better to do than come back to his alma matter and be handed the head coaching position over tons of way more qualified candidates. This program isn't going anywhere until we find a real coach.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:58:11 PM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 09:56:33 PM »
You guys are insane. He took a chance on Lovett as a top 50 talent and the kid ended up being a selfish daddy's boy sissy. They held our program hostage. We probably keep one or both of Ellison and Mussini if he bolted like he threatened last year. Now we're stuck with just one kid that can dribble a basketball.

The staff obviously learned from it and were not going to let those losers hold us up next year. Hence Greg Williams and Mikey Dixon. I'm certain they'll use Lovett's scholarship to add to the backcourt as well.

Mid major

Man, you've got a bad case of "big dick envy".
IONA always and I mean always goes home with the fat chick.
SJU at least gets to play with the hot girls and occasionally bangs one here and there. 

Fake news brother. Make the big boy tournament

Not fake brother.  Your opinions and objectives are well documented. 
IONA will always be a shitty mid-major program that no one (fans, media, networks, etc, etc.) gives a crap about, regardless of making the occasional big boy tournament.  They will always be wannabes to the program you want to see become what you currently are. 

Like I said, fake news. Still waiting for your big program To become relevant

Iona is a joke. And that’s certainly not news. Even to the Baldi man!  :2funny: ;D

1985 Was a great year

Unlikely that it was a great year for Iona.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 10:04:06 PM »
The Chris Mullin experiment has been a huge failure so far. I think it's pretty clear that he is not cut-out to be a college basketball head coach. Personally I would cut ties with him at season's end, but I realize that the SJU administration will give him at least one year.

Through 3 years the program has been unstable, to say the least, and the results have been horrible. There have been tons of key players transferring, the Sidney Wilson situation, being basically shutout by every top recruit for 2018 (Brooks being the exception only because of a scandal at his school), and now the Marcus Lovett debacle. Unfortunately Chris Mullin is way out of his league it seems when it comes to competing with other Big East coaches, and embarrassingly has his 28 year old assistant coach do most of the in game coaching. It's also clear his name doesn't have the allure to sway top prospects to come to St. John's.

This year was supposed to be the year where we made a big leap, and we are now an embarrassing 0-5 in conference play including losses to a very down Georgetown team, and perineal bottom dweller Depaul AT HOME! The team is in shambles, losing arguably their best player, and not having much talent otherwise to compete at a high level in this conference. SJU is now a combined 32-50 during the Mullin era, and honestly I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with him being in charge.

I realize he will almost definitely be back next season, but I just don't see the point. I would cut ties, and do what we should have done 3 years ago, which is offer Danny Hurley whatever he wants, and have a REAL coach (unlike Lavin and Mullin) lead the program going forward. I'm sure many people will disagree with me which is fine, but as a long time fan, and season ticket holder I am just completely disgusted with the direction of this program under coach Mullin. I have the utmost respect for him as a St. John's legend and all time great player, but he is simply not a good coach, and probably never will be.
Agree with everything you said but Desco is 100% correct the money just isn't there. This university will not spend big on another coach.  I think you have to ride it out with Mullin, force him to hire an xs and os assistant,  and pray his high upside pays off. If we move on from CM the only possible move I see that could make sense would be Hurley. Hiring an up and coming assistant is too big of a risk and another failed experiment would send this program back to the stone age.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:04:25 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:11 PM »
Look he's not getting fired.  It's not  happening.  Even with an utter complete disaster 2-16, 1-17 type of season I don't see it.

My only thing is I don't want to see any more articles about how much he has improved the whole program, how we are so much better off after 3 years then if we had kept Lavin or hired someone else, the balance of the roster etc, etc...

The benefit of the doubt is gone.  He is no different than Steve Lavin.  In fact he is no different than Norm Roberts who was 7-9 in his 3rd year in a much more difficult BE and after taking over a complete dumpster fire his first 2 years.  Don't care anymore about 1985.  Don't care anymore about how Zach likes this staff so he is a great read.   By the way I'll dig up the tweet but Braziller tweeted a couple of years ago the plan was to be a top 25 program by year 3 (He tweeted that, he certainly got that from you know who).

Don't care anymore.  No more benefit of the doubt on borderline recruits or transfers.  The fact is if you look closely at what they landed and who they have beaten vs who has transferred out, who they have whiffed on, who they have lost to and throw the Slice drama, Sid Wilson dram and now the Marcus Lovett drama there is not much positive you can honestly say has happened since his hire.  Hard to believe but if you take an honest look you would be hard pressed to find 5 things you would say the program is better at then they were 3 years ago.

It's CM's job, he wanted it.  Staff change, no staff change.  Not my call and I don't care.  Fix it or take a hike.  But man assuming this year continues south, what an off season and what a year he needs to have next year....

I know he won't be fired this year, but if he has another season like this next year like you said he should be fired unless the administration is completely incompetent. I'm honestly still in shock that we're 0-5 in Big East play in year 3 of his tenure. It's an embarrassment, and complete and utter failure.

College basketball is all about coaches. You have a good coach you're going to be good. They will get the players, and they will get the players to play how they want. Chris Mullin is not a good coach, and he never will be mark my words. This guy is a joke. All he does is argue with the refs and get needless technical fouls. He doesn't know how to handle college players much less a major college program, and he doesn't know how to make the necessary adjustments to be a coach at this level. It's year 3 and he hasn't improved one bit.

I'm envious of other programs, even Iona, who have coaches who you know will have a good game-plan going into the game, and who will make the adjustments in a game to swing the momentum. Just look at the Creighton game, SJU was cruising along until McDermott (who is an awesome coach that Mullin couldn't even shine his shoes) made the adjustment and we caved like the Falcons in the Super Bowl. That's the kind of coach I want leading this program. Not some guy who had nothing better to do than come back to his alma matter and be handed the head coaching position over tons of way more qualified candidates. This program isn't going anywhere until we find a real coach.

When was the last time we had tons of way more qualified candidates?

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:35 PM »

My only thing is I don't want to see any more articles about how much he has improved the program, how we are so much better off after 3 years then if we had kept Lavin or hired someone else, the balance of the roster etc, etc...

Zach must've tweeted a million times how we were setting up to bring in a "monster class" in 2018.

How could you leave the Zach Brown drama off your list!?

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »

My only thing is I don't want to see any more articles about how much he has improved the whole program, how we are so much better off after 3 years then if we had kept Lavin or hired someone else, the balance of the roster etc, etc...

Any coach we were involved with when we fired Lavin like both Hurley bros were more qualified.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 11:07:00 PM »

Any coach we were involved with when we fired Lavin like both Hurley bros were more qualified.

ST John's fans fascination with brothers. Used to be the Miller boys, now the Hurley's.
Somewhere out there another set of brothers are preparing to be become a fantasy for clueless ST John's fans around 2025 when they start calling for Tim Cluess to be fired.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 11:47:19 PM »

ST John's fans fascination with brothers. Used to be the Miller boys, now the Hurley's.
Somewhere out there another set of brothers are preparing to be become a fantasy for clueless ST John's fans around 2025 when they start calling for Tim Cluess to be fired.
Yeah why would we want young successful coaches that are leading their teams to the tournament when we can have this cluster buck.

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 01:49:06 AM »

+1

I just don't see any redeeming qualities from him as a coach.  I was excited when he was first hired, as I'm all about giving any coach a chance, and felt he could rejuvenate the program and fan base. 

I noticed some things during his first season, and subtly mentioned it on Redmen.  But, I figured it was his first season with a seriously flawed and depleted roster, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  I didn't expound on it much due that scenario.  I was also chastised by a poster or two on Redmen, per my initial observations.  In the back of my mind, I knew we was bad, but I thought that squad should've won about 3 games, instead of one.

Last season, with better talent, we particularly played well at home.  But, was getting lambasted on the road.  The defense was just as bad last season, as it was during the first season.  It was his second season, and the staff was still building the roster, so he still slightly got a pass.  Although, I still had concerns by some things I was witnessing; I felt I'd give Mullin the benefit of the doubt again.

So far, this season....  The defense looked better for most of the OOC games, but I noticed better teams was still getting what they wanted against us.  The offense looked the same, along with every thing else I had issues with during his first season.  Not to mention, I've noticed regression in some players.  Owens got better, but his dad had his hand in doing so.  His dad will practically say as much on Twitter.  The majority of personnel who has been with the program since Mullin has started coaching us, outside of Owens (where I already mentioned who played a role in his development), has regressed or status quo, IMO.

We're bringing in solid talent a year from now (thanks to Matt A.), but it's not elite-level talent.  I do believe Brooks and Dixon will likely help us from the word "go," but I think there will be a learning curve for Keita and Williams.  I think some folks are fooling themselves into thinking it'll be different next season due to more depth.  If we was bringing in a Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, or Arizona class, then I'd agree.  But, that's not the case.  Besides, we don't know how things will shake out before next season with the roster.  The potential roster will probably look different once the ball goes up in the air during our first exhibition game.

He just strikes me as a coach who'll fall short of expectations and prognostications.  He's also somewhat lethargic on the recruiting trail.  I know he won't get fired after this season, but if we finish up at 2-16 or something similar, then I'd be all for moving on.  Regardless, I don't think this is gonna end well, whether after this season or next.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:54:42 AM by mjdinkins »

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 06:24:43 AM »
If he is the man we all think he is he needs to quit. He made a mistake. He thought this would be easy. I don’t want to hate him. The more this goes the worse it will be for his legacy. He doesn’t need the money. He certainly doesn’t need the aggravation. 2 1/ 2 years of beat downs will leave us with nothing.

Johnny23

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 06:56:11 AM »

+1

I just don't see any redeeming qualities from him as a coach.  I was excited when he was first hired, as I'm all about giving any coach a chance, and felt he could rejuvenate the program and fan base. 

I noticed some things during his first season, and subtly mentioned it on Redmen.  But, I figured it was his first season with a seriously flawed and depleted roster, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  I didn't expound on it much due that scenario.  I was also chastised by a poster or two on Redmen, per my initial observations.  In the back of my mind, I knew we was bad, but I thought that squad should've won about 3 games, instead of one.

Last season, with better talent, we particularly played well at home.  But, was getting lambasted on the road.  The defense was just as bad last season, as it was during the first season.  It was his second season, and the staff was still building the roster, so he still slightly got a pass.  Although, I still had concerns by some things I was witnessing; I felt I'd give Mullin the benefit of the doubt again.

So far, this season....  The defense looked better for most of the OOC games, but I noticed better teams was still getting what they wanted against us.  The offense looked the same, along with every thing else I had issues with during his first season.  Not to mention, I've noticed regression in some players.  Owens got better, but his dad had his hand in doing so.  His dad will practically say as much on Twitter.  The majority of personnel who has been with the program since Mullin has started coaching us, outside of Owens (where I already mentioned who played a role in his development), has regressed or status quo, IMO.

We're bringing in solid talent a year from now (thanks to Matt A.), but it's not elite-level talent.  I do believe Brooks and Dixon will likely help us from the word "go," but I think there will be a learning curve for Keita and Williams.  I think some folks are fooling themselves into thinking it'll be different next season due to more depth.  If we was bringing in a Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, or Arizona class, then I'd agree.  But, that's not the case.  Besides, we don't know how things will shake out before next season with the roster.  The potential roster will probably look different once the ball goes up in the air during our first exhibition game.

He just strikes me as a coach who'll fall short of expectations and prognostications.  He's also somewhat lethargic on the recruiting trail.  I know he won't get fired after this season, but if we finish up at 2-16 or something similar, then I'd be all for moving on.  Regardless, I don't think this is gonna end well, whether after this season or next.

Good summary. I couldn't agree more on all counts.

Johnny23

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 07:01:40 AM »
If he is the man we all think he is he needs to quit. He made a mistake. He thought this would be easy. I don’t want to hate him. The more this goes the worse it will be for his legacy. He doesn’t need the money. He certainly doesn’t need the aggravation. 2 1/ 2 years of beat downs will leave us with nothing.

Yeah I'm starting to the think the same thing Tony. It's almost like why delay the inevitable by another season when it will probably still end poorly next year. We can then bring in an experienced coach and start realizing the potential of this roster. Not that it's a top 10 roster but by next season there will be enough talent and depth to make a legit claim at the top 25. I'm sure it won't play out like this and Mullin will stay but I just have a bad feeling that it will be more of the same (very little coaching and player development) if he sticks around.

Tiger

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 07:06:56 AM »
i could see Mitch stepping down after this season.  I'm not sure what assistants will be available.  A Hurley is not coming as an assistant.  Maybe Rice?

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 07:43:57 AM »
Unfortunately this is why I wanted to keep Lavin. I knew the administration would mess up the next hire. I really hope Mullin can turn it around but every game we play it looks more unlikely.

I see one or two things happening:

1 - Mullin has enough and walks away

2 - Admin support Mullin and give him a long time to hopefully turn things around

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 08:26:04 AM »
The bright side, and I know it's hard to see right now, is that Mullin and his inexperienced staff are only going to get better at what they do. That being said, will it be enough based on what we've seen? My answer as of now is no. I have yet to see Mullin really effect a game whatsoever with his coaching in a positive way. He's far too laid back on the sidelines, often sitting down when we are unravelling.

As others have mentioned, he is not going to be fired. The only scenario where he is not the coach next year is if he agrees to step down. We knew this when we hired him. This was not a normal hire, this was a huge commitment. Chris Mullin is St. John's, you can't fire the biggest legend your program has ever seen.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:27:10 AM by redstorm212 »

Foad

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
If he is the man we all think he is he needs to quit. He made a mistake.

Let me pose a hypothetical. Say that based upon your great success as a third grade boy's basketball coach in the NYC public school system you were offered and accepted your dream job: coaching a JV grade girl's volleyball team at a prestigious private school in Floral Park. Let's say that your predecessor was a complete cretin who mismanaged the program, leaving the cupboard bare forcing you at the last minute to recruit a few boarder line talents, let's call them Brittney, Skylar, Brooklyn, Addison and another Brittney. Obviously no one would have expected you to be competitive in the first year and despite your best efforts the team performed poorly. Now let's say that in the off season you were able to bring in some talented freshmen, let's call them Gemma, Madeline, Zoie and another Brittny. In your second year the talent has improved - Gemma is especially precocious - but the results a bit disappointing, as your young players are out-muscled and hustled by teams comprising  bigger and stronger eight graders. Going into the third season expectations are high but suddenly tragedy strikes: Gemma gets her first period, which leaves her bloated and out of sorts and Brooklyn's father loses his job and is forced to move the family back to the Bronx. Obviously your results suffer.

So here's my question: under those circumstances would you quit your job? Or would you redouble your efforts at success using all the resources at your disposal and all the wisdom you garnered getting a prestigious physical education degree. Would you give up or would you dig out your dog eared copy of Girls Play to Win Volleyball by Chrös McDougall and burn the midnight oil, relearning the intricacies of serving and spiking. (Or whatever that stuff is called, obviously I can't be expected to be conversant in the jargon of a sport that it takes years of rigorous study to master.) If you're half the man you think you are - and I'm sure you are - I think you'd tough it out. I expect no less from a hall of fame basketball player such as Chris Mullin.

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 08:32:22 AM »
Unfortunately this is why I wanted to keep Lavin. I knew the administration would mess up the next hire. I really hope Mullin can turn it around but every game we play it looks more unlikely.

I see one or two things happening:

1 - Mullin has enough and walks away

2 - Admin support Mullin and give him a long time to hopefully turn things around

We currently have all the drama/transfers from the Lavin years, compounded with worse basketball, thin rosters, no 20 win seasons, and not a lot of hope for the future.

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 08:59:44 AM »
As a fan and season ticket holder since 1988, I am as frustrated and disappointed as anyone with the season of hope turning into a season of nope.  That being said, if you are truly a fan stop publicly complaining.  It only further damages the reputation of the program - kids/recruits read these boards.  Do you want Brooks et al to sign or be a verbal that got away ? Get behind the kids who give 100% every game ( for gods sake - Bashir played with the flu)regardless if you think they are "Big East caliber."  Yes , we have players with flaws and cielings (mere mortals like the rest of us).  Difference is we aren't performing on a daily basis in front of thousands of critics.

At the end of the day these are 18 - 22 year old kids getting attacked on a daily basis by middle aged (and younger ) men - really?  Flashback to September and ask yourself if Lovett was gone for the year what would the expectations have been ?

Sure we can cast blame for a thin roster, questionable strategic decisions etc ? But do we know all the facts ?  No doubt we do not.   It is easy to issue spot.  Solutions are tough. The most we can do as passionate fans to help the program  is to get behind what we have.

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »

Let me pose a hypothetical. Say that based upon your great success as a third grade boy's basketball coach in the NYC public school system you were offered and accepted your dream job: coaching a JV grade girl's volleyball team at a prestigious private school in Floral Park. Let's say that your predecessor was a complete cretin who mismanaged the program, leaving the cupboard bare forcing you at the last minute to recruit a few boarder line talents, let's call them Brittney, Skylar, Brooklyn, Addison and another Brittney. Obviously no one would have expected you to be competitive in the first year and despite your best efforts the team performed poorly. Now let's say that in the off season you were able to bring in some talented freshmen, let's call them Gemma, Madeline, Zoie and another Brittny. In your second year the talent has improved - Gemma is especially precocious - but the results a bit disappointing, as your young players are out-muscled and hustled by teams comprising  bigger and stronger eight graders. Going into the third season expectations are high but suddenly tragedy strikes: Gemma gets her first period, which leaves her bloated and out of sorts and Brooklyn's father loses his job and is forced to move the family back to the Bronx. Obviously your results suffer.

So here's my question: under those circumstances would you quit your job? Or would you redouble your efforts at success using all the resources at your disposal and all the wisdom you garnered getting a prestigious physical education degree. Would you give up or would you dig out your dog eared copy of Girls Play to Win Volleyball by Chrös McDougall and burn the midnight oil, relearning the intricacies of serving and spiking. (Or whatever that stuff is called, obviously I can't be expected to be conversant in the jargon of a sport that it takes years of rigorous study to master.) If you're half the man you think you are - and I'm sure you are - I think you'd tough it out. I expect no less from a hall of fame basketball player such as Chris Mullin.

What you wrote is true. A new coach even coaching 3rd grade makes plenty of mistakes. Often things happen. Trust me foady- coaching in NYC- something happens every day. As a coach you learn from them. You learn from experience. If you try you get better. Plenty of bad coaches coaching youth sports.
This is big east Basketball.  All of the other coaches, EXCEPT ours went through this. All of them spent years learning how to do this. How many more beat downs do you need to witness before you believe?
Coach Mullin is not a young man. I am sure he is beyond financially secure. A few years ago I said coaching is hard. You mocked me. It is not hard like brain surgery. It is hard in that their are plenty of long days . Plenty of issues like periods or Lovett’s. Plenty of nonsense you have to deal with. Coaching in NYC is often thankless. It is often free. Coaching in the big east is reserved for the best. Those coaches have the best facilities and are paid well. What has our staff done as COACHES to deserve their jobs? Guess what if you coach girls CYO and don’t play any defense you will lose. If you coach girls 6th volleyball and are not prepared you will lose. If you coach Jv Basketball and you let your your volunteer assistant run practice you will lose
Trying to insult me won’t change any of this. Even if I am dumb as you say. These 3 years have been an utter failure.

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »

Yeah why would we want young successful coaches that are leading their teams to the tournament when we can have this cluster buck.

Because they were never coming here.
School won't pay up and it is not a desirable job.
Disagree and say it is that answer why we never get that hot name that comes up?
I guess Fran and Jarvis sort of qualify but that was not that far removed from us being relevant.
Norm, Lavin was fired and ridiculed and hadn't coached in what 10 years? Mullin made sense in that he was the conquering hero but he has never coached.