Point Guard?

• 32 replies
Re: Point Guard?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
Bring in a NYC kid like Alan Griffin. He is a tough nosed skilled combo guard that would bring major moxie to the team.

QuanMan

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 01:50:34 PM »
Bring in a NYC kid like Alan Griffin. He is a tough nosed skilled combo guard that would bring major moxie to the team.

I'm certainly not mad at that idea, I watched him last night at the big Iona/Stepinac game and thought he was most mature player on the floor. I still don't understand how we're not recruiting Nowell.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 02:13:41 PM »
Give me a veteran rental grad transfer, something this year's team sorely needs and should have.

I'm half joking here, but what about Jahvon Quinerly? Do we dare?

Would he dare? Lol  He'd be crazy not to go to Nova.

Nova staff worked their tails off for him, feds and NCAA Indy offices yet to strike the gavel. Very likely ineligible for accepting impermissible benefits, Europe bound. The involved programs are going to feel the wrath of the government and Indy soon enough. Dark cloud quietly over the sport looming while the season is ongoing, they might do this during March Madness for affect.

Speaking of this, Brian Bowen committed to the Frank Martin and the Gamecocks two days ago. 

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 11:10:08 PM »
Every team needs a true PG whether that is your star like Jalen Brunson or just a kid that can get you 15-20 mpg like Malik Boothe. This positionless stuff is good when it works but it also can make things a mess when you've got your center launching threes and your smallest players rebounding. Combo guards like Ponds and Dixon need to play at least part time with a true PG.

For all of his faults, Norm understood this. 

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 07:24:31 AM »

I'm certainly not mad at that idea, I watched him last night at the big Iona/Stepinac game and thought he was most mature player on the floor. I still don't understand how we're not recruiting Nowell.

It looks like the staff does not have interest in local 3 star players like Nowell or Griffin.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:26:46 AM by gonzalo »

Poison

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 09:14:26 AM »
Give me a veteran rental grad transfer, something this year's team sorely needs and should have.

Nova staff worked their tails off for him, feds and NCAA Indy offices yet to strike the gavel. Very likely ineligible for accepting impermissible benefits, Europe bound. The involved programs are going to feel the wrath of the government and Indy soon enough. Dark cloud quietly over the sport looming while the season is ongoing, they might do this during March Madness for affect.

Speaking of this, Brian Bowen committed to the Frank Martin and the Gamecocks two days ago. 

Maybe Frank Martin has spent enough time with southerners and wants to come back to NY?

Johnny23

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »

Maybe Frank Martin has spent enough time with southerners and wants to come back to NY?

Back to NY? Martin's from Miami.

Pete88

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 10:01:17 AM »

Don't you know everyone is from NY. 

Johnny23

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »

Don't you know everyone is from NY.

I mean, yeah, like duh.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »

How about that? You’re right. I’d gladly make an exception if they’d remove Mullin.

Johnny23

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 10:13:56 AM »

How about that? You’re right. I’d gladly make an exception if they’d remove Mullin.

+1. Martin's a beast.

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 01:32:45 PM »

He's the most Miami guy ever too. Really weird anyone could think he's from New York.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »

"Unlike many SJU fans I don’t have moles or sources who feed me scoops and insider information but I did hear when Norm was let go that Frank Martin – resplendent last night in a three piece pinstripe suit from the Benny Blanco from the Bronx collection – was being considered as a possible replacement. Alas that did not come to pass, partly I suspect based upon his how should I put this delicately, fiery Latin disposition. Because he’s a bit of a psychopath. According to Martin’s Wikipedia entry he was drawn to coaching when as “a bouncer at a local nightclub .. he was subjected to gunfire while on duty,” which I don’t see the career trajectory there but maybe it’s just me. After a high school career that saw Martin have one of his state championships vacated for recruiting violations, Martin ended up at Cinncinnati where he studied at the vomit splattered feet of Bob Huggins, who he followed to Kansas State and eventually replaced as head coach"