• 121 replies

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Re: Nova Game 1
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »
Think Trimble should start and bring Simon off the bench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=871-3XMhtAk

Trimble played 28 mins to Simons 26 and was just as productive. Meathead

Simon brings way more to the table than Trimble. Trimble is horrible defensively got blown by a ton last night, and on offense all he literally does is stand at the same spot on the perimeter and doesn't move..... When he gets the ball he either chucks up a 3, or passes it right away. I don't think I've seen him dribble the basketball all year.

Not all his fault though. When your coach doesn't run any semblance of an offense it's tough. You would think they'd run screens for Ponds or Trimble to get an open shot, but nah.... We're content to go 1 on 1 all game, and have Bashir Ahmed blindly drive to the middle and throw the ball off the backboard as hard as he can.

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »

Simon brings way more to the table than Trimble. Trimble is horrible defensively got blown by a ton last night, and on offense all he literally does is stand at the same spot on the perimeter and doesn't move..... When he gets the ball he either chucks up a 3, or passes it right away. I don't think I've seen him dribble the basketball all year.

Not all his fault though. When your coach doesn't run any semblance of an offense it's tough. You would think they'd run screens for Ponds or Trimble to get an open shot, but nah.... We're content to go 1 on 1 all game, and have Bashir Ahmed blindly drive to the middle and throw the ball off the backboard as hard as he can.

Sounds like you are talking about Clark also. The season lost, I would like to see what we have in Trimble before he is either jettisoned or decides to leave on his own.  Also would like to see Simon get used to the 6th man role. But I agree on all your points

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »

Sounds like you are talking about Clark also. The season lost, I would like to see what we have in Trimble before he is either jettisoned or decides to leave on his own.  Also would like to see Simon get used to the 6th man role. But I agree on all your points

Trimble stands around and every once in awhile hoists up a three. Simon is 2bd best plyer on team and once we get better scorers will be even better. Simon is not the problem. Trying to do to much because we do not have any scorers.

TONYD3

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »
Simon is really good. Only a sophomore reminds me of postell. On this team he only comes off the court if he is exhausted. Trimble shouldn’t be playing 20 plus minutes unless their is injury or foul trouble.
The offense is often a high screen for ponds, then pass out for a 3. Teams are going to give up that shot to our lesser players all day. They are happy with. It looks like our staff is also.
Trimble- watched the game late last night after the football. Was falling asleep. Don’t remember him getting beat on defense. I can remember in the past him being a decent athlete who isnt a liability on defense. I hope he stays. I think he is just playing to much now.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2018, 10:38:43 AM »
Simon is really good. Only a sophomore reminds me of postell. On this team he only comes off the court if he is exhausted. Trimble shouldn’t be playing 20 plus minutes unless their is injury or foul trouble.
The offense is often a high screen for ponds, then pass out for a 3. Teams are going to give up that shot to our lesser players all day. They are happy with. It looks like our staff is also.
Trimble- watched the game late last night after the football. Was falling asleep. Don’t remember him getting beat on defense. I can remember in the past him being a decent athlete who isnt a liability on defense. I hope he stays. I think he is just playing to much now.

I was at the game. His man was getting by him A LOT leading to someone helping which lead to Nova passing it around the perimeter for an eventual open 3.

Johnny23

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
Simon is much more talented than Trimble. We will see more of Trimble as the season goes on but right now he's a one trick pony.

« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »

I was at the game. His man was getting by him A LOT leading to someone helping which lead to Nova passing it around the perimeter for an eventual open 3.

Simon turns the ball over way too much. 48 times this season

Foad

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
St John's - Villanova recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

Marillac

« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2018, 10:50:48 PM »

Simon turns the ball over way too much. 48 times this season

And another 20 times he tried to but was unsuccessful.

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2018, 12:06:45 AM »
Simon is much more talented than Trimble. We will see more of Trimble as the season goes on but right now he's a one trick pony.
I actually saw Trimble go to the hole as i have hoping he would do more of. He needs to have that threat to keep defenses off him a little

« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:00 AM »
Ponds was incredible.  It's Big East efforts like this that get players moving on to greener pastures. See Harkless, Mo*.

Refereeing basketball is very, very difficult.  Just saying.

For those putting down Trimble I have just two words.  Rich Freudenberg.

Johnny23

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2018, 07:14:42 AM »
I actually saw Trimble go to the hole as i have hoping he would do more of. He needs to have that threat to keep defenses off him a little

He definitely needs to get better at moving without the ball. He tends to just hover around the 3 pt line. The good deep shooting is his best asset right now. He needs to keep it up and develop other parts of his game.

« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:46 AM »
Ponds was incredible.  It's Big East efforts like this that get players moving on to greener pastures. See Harkless, Mo*.

Carmine your a ref right? It’s Very difficult and I certainly don’t envy them. But a play right in front of you in the last minute of the game in which you don’t just miss a call you make the obviously wrong one which takes away the chance of the other team, you have to be called out. It has seemingly gotten worse, I find myself laughing at some calls that go in our favor as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:14:29 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »

Carmine your a ref right? It’s Very difficult and I certainly don’t envy them. But a play right in front of you in the last minute of the game in which you don’t just miss a call you make the obviously wrong one which takes away the chance of the other team, you have to be called out. It has seemingly gotten worse, I find myself laughing at some calls that go in our favor as well.

Yes,  that call was rough and if made correctly would have given us a chance to cut it to 2.  They don't have instant replay and everything looks differently from different angles.

Out of all the sports in the world only one can be the toughest to officiate.  And it's basketball.

cjfish

« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2018, 09:09:53 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2018, 11:00:25 PM »
Simon is really good. Only a sophomore reminds me of postell.

Postell was my favorite SF of all-time. Please don't ever make that comparison again until Simon starts to hit the offensive glass. Postell was an offensive rebounding machine. He crashed the glass every shot and averaged more offensive boards than Simon and Clark combined.

Simon has that potential. New Mexico St. has a 6'5 200 lb SF averaging 3.8 offensive boards in 28 mpg. Don't tell me Simon can't do that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:01:06 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2018, 05:58:43 AM »

Yup, and for what it's worth Iona sucks

Pretty sure you and every other fan would kill for what Iona has done the last 7 years under Cluess. But ya, they suck their way into the tournament

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2018, 08:10:24 AM »

Pretty sure you and every other fan would kill for what Iona has done the last 7 years under Cluess. But ya, they suck their way into the tournament

I doubt it. let me see..... since 2011 Iona has made the tournament four times vs SJU two. I don’t think we would kill for that.

Pete88

« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2018, 08:47:35 AM »

I doubt it. let me see..... since 2011 Iona has made the tournament four times vs SJU two. I don’t think we would kill for that.

LOL... I wouldn't kill a roach to be an IONA fan, but then again there are some that have very low standards

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
Apparently it's so great being an Iona fan, they have to spend their time trolling message boards of other teams.