Need players

• 126 replies

paultzman

Re: Need players
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 01:04:33 PM »
Why aren't kids like Isaiah Washington, Jose Alvarado, Khalid Moore, Bryce Willis, Ty Jerome etc. even sniffing St. John's?
Can they mend the bridge with Coach Arbs finally
Matt gets along fine with Arbitello, but not Mullin apparently. In fairness to CM, Arbitello is not exactly a day at the beach & has too big a hat size for a HS coach.

Pete88

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
Why aren't kids like Isaiah Washington, Jose Alvarado, Khalid Moore, Bryce Willis, Ty Jerome etc. even sniffing St. John's?

They weren't offered as nice a car, like the other ones you have accused?

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »
The sit outs will be good bump next year. Probably needed an Ellison or Mussini this year in addition to Williams. I'm convinced Lovett is gone forever and heard through some agent friends he's declaring for draft. I'd also be concerned that Owens will be a 5th year graduate at season's end. Will have to fend off poachers.

I'm not all that excited about the two sit outs. I think both will be solid depth options for next year but not much more than that. There have been a couple high-scoring guards from smaller schools that have transferred to power conferences and haven't really been anything more than role players. Cane Broome from Cincinnati and Kory Holden at South Carolina come to mind. Keita is a big bruising guy we desperately need but he's another guy that's raw and can't throw the ball in the ocean from the pier. I fear that we will be expecting too much from them right away

I think Dixon will help outta the gate, but I'm cautiously optimstic to what he'll bring.  Keita is raw.  There's a chance he's probably improved during his season off, but I saw enough of him from a season ago at South Carolina to know he's raw.  Anyone expecting too much from him could be setting themselves up for disappointment.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:55:59 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 01:48:01 PM »
owens will be great at the 4 next year. Good touch and not as physically out matched.

Need a ball handler that can get into the lane and set up Ponds. Either you think his 38% on 200 attempts along with his highschool career as a shooter was a joke or you think the 17 games this year as the primary option are. Im going with slump.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 01:55:31 PM »
We need basketball players.  Not athletes that they feel 'might' turn into basketball players

It is 2018. The fact that every basketball team in every league in the free world is built around shooting the three  and our coach is Chris Mullin yet our best / only decent shooter is a 6-7 240 pound guy is pretty ridiculous.

We have plenty of shooters. We don't have guys that can dribble to set them up. I don't understand why that's so difficult for you to see. Clark and Simon average a turnover every three dribbles inside the three-point line. It's a crazy team when you feel the second most confidence in a reckless kid like Ahmed handling in the lane. Clark, Simon, and Owens have no body control at all and their layups look like they are trying to smash an animal's head with a big rock. They have no chance of using a jump stop, slowing down, or changing direction.

Marillac , having met you I can honestly say you are a good guy and in the past I generally  could see your point even if I didn't agree with it. So no disrespect meant when I say this year some of the stuff you are saying basketball wise is insane. Ponds thing has passed well into Carmine territory and your Simon hate is bizarre. He is clearly our 2nd best player. Flaws and all. Not even sure who could challenge that. A s far as shooting, UGH. Ponds is a very good player. Fun to watch and w/o him we might not score 25 points. He can't shoot. Statistically he is terrible and he also fails the eye test. Form is a disaster. Only guy whose outside shot I think can go in is a 6-7 guy who needs to be open with his feet completely set. I don't care if John Stockton and Magic Johnson's point guard love child came to play for us. No one is making this bunch good shooters.

Best outside shooter on the team is Clark or Ahmed. Shamorie is not a classic or consistent outside shooter. He's capable but I agree with you he's not a great outside threat.

With so many penetrators on the team this year we could have used another guard like Mussini. He would have been getting wide open buckets.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
Can they mend the bridge with Coach Arbs finally
Matt gets along fine with Arbitello, but not Mullin apparently. In fairness to CM, Arbitello is not exactly a day at the beach & has too big a hat size for a HS coach.

There are a lot of characters in the game and I'm pretty friendly with most but I have to say he's very difficult to like. All of that aside he carries very little to no weight with any player's recruitment.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
I hope we get Griffin for next year. We don’t usually get players from Stepinac.

Foad

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »
I'm not all that excited about the two sit outs.

You don't seem all that excited about anything.

goredmen

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »
I'm not all that excited about the two sit outs.

You don't seem all that excited about anything.

Can't argue this one

cjfish

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »
The sit outs will be good bump next year. Probably needed an Ellison or Mussini this year in addition to Williams. I'm convinced Lovett is gone forever and heard through some agent friends he's declaring for draft. I'd also be concerned that Owens will be a 5th year graduate at season's end. Will have to fend off poachers.

Probably the funniest item of the year, Lovett wouldn't get drafted if there were 4 rounds 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:16:19 PM by cjfish »

Poison

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »

I like Owens, but he’s 22 and he still hasn’t added any muscle. He’d be a loss, but the guy we thought would be one of the best BE centers simply isn’t strong enough to stand his ground in the paint.

Dude is one of the best bigs in the conference. I'm not sure how you don't see that.

I’m a big fan of his. DePaul and Georgetown ate him alive. What I see is a guy who knows what he’s doing but isn’t strong enough to execute when he’s being guarded by the opposing team’s big man. It’s his only real weakness, but it’s a big one.

Sadly, I expect him to bolt. A grad degree from St.John’s isn’t worth much as much as a grad degree from the other schools to transfer to.

I really hope he’s happy at St.John’s, but here are two schools that could steal him from us: Syracuse and Uconn. I’m more afraid of SU. Boeheim is excellent at teaching bigs.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »
Need players? I remember those early days when CM was hired and this board was openly talking about landing Cheikh Diallo, Rawle Alkins, Mustapha Heron, Naz Reid, Quinerly,  Muhammad, Nick Richards etc.

Now we are in the middle of year 3 wondering why they didn't go after Jose Alvarado or why we aren't going after Joe Girard...

You know what maybe my expectations are too high.  Perhaps a 3-15 year 3 followed by a 9-9 year 4 is reasonable...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:20:16 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »
owens will be great at the 4 next year. Good touch and not as physically out matched.

Need a ball handler that can get into the lane and set up Ponds. Either you think his 38% on 200 attempts along with his highschool career as a shooter was a joke or you think the 17 games this year as the primary option are. Im going with slump.

His HS career? Yes I think last year was an outlier.
I like Ponds and he is a very good player. His form is a mess which helps explain his 18% 3 point shooting.
BTW I hit 425 as a Junior in HS. True story. My college coach didn't take that into consideration unfortunately. Wish you had been around to plead my case.

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 02:19:05 PM »

I like Ponds and he is a very good player. His form is a mess which helps explain his 18% 3 point shooting.
BTW I hit 425 as a Junior in HS. True story. My college coach didn't take that into consideration unfortunately. Wish you had been around to plead my case.

Lol seriously?

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »

Lol seriously?

425? Yep
Got hurt Senior year but rode Junior year to D1 free ride. But didn't translate to good College pitching. Which was my point as it pertained to Ponds HS shooting.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2018, 02:25:33 PM »

Lol seriously?

425? Yep
Got hurt Senior year but rode Junior year to D1 free ride. But didn't translate to good College pitching. Which was my point as it pertained to Ponds HS shooting.

Nice!  Trick must be to get the kids who cant shoot well in high school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuwvD8oXRw
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:25:47 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »
We need basketball players.  Not athletes that they feel 'might' turn into basketball players

It is 2018. The fact that every basketball team in every league in the free world is built around shooting the three  and our coach is Chris Mullin yet our best / only decent shooter is a 6-7 240 pound guy is pretty ridiculous.

We have plenty of shooters. We don't have guys that can dribble to set them up. I don't understand why that's so difficult for you to see. Clark and Simon average a turnover every three dribbles inside the three-point line. It's a crazy team when you feel the second most confidence in a reckless kid like Ahmed handling in the lane. Clark, Simon, and Owens have no body control at all and their layups look like they are trying to smash an animal's head with a big rock. They have no chance of using a jump stop, slowing down, or changing direction.

Marillac , having met you I can honestly say you are a good guy and in the past I generally  could see your point even if I didn't agree with it. So no disrespect meant when I say this year some of the stuff you are saying basketball wise is insane. Ponds thing has passed well into Carmine territory and your Simon hate is bizarre. He is clearly our 2nd best player. Flaws and all. Not even sure who could challenge that. A s far as shooting, UGH. Ponds is a very good player. Fun to watch and w/o him we might not score 25 points. He can't shoot. Statistically he is terrible and he also fails the eye test. Form is a disaster. Only guy whose outside shot I think can go in is a 6-7 guy who needs to be open with his feet completely set. I don't care if John Stockton and Magic Johnson's point guard love child came to play for us. No one is making this bunch good shooters.

Agreed.

Sounds like he stayed at a holiday inn last night...

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »

Lol seriously?

425? Yep

No but sometimes it doesn't translate. I don't care what he did in HS his form is terrible. Too many moving parts, and brings it up from low. Also never, ever squares up. Has to clean it up. 18% is not a slump. But truthfully even if shooting at a much better clip I would not trust his shot. Shoots like Greg Anthony used to.

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2018, 02:46:36 PM »

Lol seriously?

425? Yep

No but sometimes it doesn't translate. I don't care what he did in HS his form is terrible. Too many moving parts, and brings it up from low. Also never, ever squares up. Has to clean it up. 18% is not a slump. But truthfully even if shooting at a much better clip I would not trust his shot. Shoots like Greg Anthony used to.

See I said after first game his form has changed a little from last year. He fades and takes uncessarily tough shots. That is selection and a little laziness but I do not think he is a bad shooter. I dont think his form is anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be. Did kind of like your golf putter comparison. Maybe stick to those and get over your baseball career. We get it ;)

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »

Lol seriously?

425? Yep

See I said after first game his form has changed a little from last year. He fades and takes uncessarily tough shots. That is selection and a little laziness but I do not think he is a bad shooter. I dont think his form is anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be. Did kind of like your golf putter comparison. Maybe stick to those and get over your baseball career. We get it ;)

You brought up HS I didn't. And have been posting on these boards since year 3 of Norm and that is first time I snuck 425 into a post. Was long over due
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:52:23 PM by we are sju »