Let's be clear imho...

• 68 replies
Re: Let's be clear imho...
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »
Mullin should be allowed to coach with whatever staff he chooses. He knows the style he wants to play and the kind of kids he needs to make it work. So far, he has largely recruited high character, talented kids whWe're in year 3 of a total rebuild and the loss of LoVett hurts way more than people think. His on-ball pressure was a large part of our defensive success while he was here. He caused teams real problems in getting the ball up and getting into their offensive sets. As the shot clock winds down, shooting percentages plummet. LoVett is not getting credit for what he did. Played 38 minutes a game and scored 15 per game. Hard to replace those numbers with a thin bench, caused by our recruiting Zach Brown scaring Sima away, Mussini's decision to go home for pro money, Ellison's unwillingness to compete with Simon for playing time, and UConn's continued recruitment of Sid Wilson even after he was on our campus and enrolled in Summer classes.

Having two sit out transfers certainly didn't help when LoVett got hurt and Wilson left, but we should have better roster talent and a deeper bench next season. Two and a half years into a total rebuild, Chris Mullin shouldn't be subjected to the garbage on our fan sites. Luckily for us, I don't think he gives a shit what our angry, aging fan base thinks and will continue to do the job he was hired to do and build a program that will compete for an NCAA  bid every year.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 09:49:38 PM »
(Sorry for the double post.)

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 09:50:17 PM »
The demanding an assistant coach change makes me laugh.

Uh he's the HC if he needs the fan base to tell him he needs a new assistant then he should've never been hired to begin with.   If he is comfortable with this staff and feels he can win then who am I to say no.

That's his problem.  Who knows if he wants someone else.  You hired CM to make these decisions, if you feel the need to question his staff already then again why did you entrust him with that responsibility to begin with?

You're right but Mullin is going to be the coach for as long as he wants to be the coach. So as a fan all we can hope for at this point is he does what has to do to turn this around. The first thing would be to shake up the staff. If he does that and gets the right people in place he can be successful
THIS   It's done all the time in sports witness this years GB Packers who didn't want to fire HC Mike McCarthy but had him change both his offensive and defensive coordinators and gave him a one year extension so he has 2 years left on his contract. In other words win now or you're next.

Heck!  It recently happened earlier today. 

Mike Mularkey (now former head coach of the Tennessee Titans), whose team advanced to the divisional round of the NFL playoffs, parted ways today with the Titans because management wanted him to shake up his staff.  He didn't feel the need to do so, and he's no longer the coach of the Titans as of today. 

Johnny23

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »

Uh he's the HC if he needs the fan base to tell him he needs a new assistant then he should've never been hired to begin with.   If he is comfortable with this staff and feels he can win then who am I to say no.

That's his problem.  Who knows if he wants someone else.  You hired CM to make these decisions, if you feel the need to question his staff already then again why did you entrust him with that responsibility to begin with?

You're right but Mullin is going to be the coach for as long as he wants to be the coach. So as a fan all we can hope for at this point is he does what has to do to turn this around. The first thing would be to shake up the staff. If he does that and gets the right people in place he can be successful
THIS   It's done all the time in sports witness this years GB Packers who didn't want to fire HC Mike McCarthy but had him change both his offensive and defensive coordinators and gave him a one year extension so he has 2 years left on his contract. In other words win now or you're next.

Mike Mularkey (now former head coach of the Tennessee Titans), whose team advanced to the divisional round of the NFL playoffs, parted ways today with the Titans because management wanted him to shake up his staff.  He didn't feel the need to do so, and he's no longer the coach of the Titans as of today.

I would hope the powers that be at SJU would insist Mullin do the same but I have a feeling that's not the case. If CM doesn't think he needs to revamp his staff then he's sorely mistaken and this same exact discussion will be going on next January.

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 09:55:45 PM »

I would hope the powers that be at SJU would insist Mullin do the same but I have a feeling that's not the case. If CM doesn't think he needs to revamp his staff then he's sorely mistaken and this same exact discussion will be going on next January.

+1

goredmen

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 09:57:22 PM »

Right, which would be fair. I don't even want Goff to "force" or even suggest Mullin make changes to the staff. I want Mullin to realize it and do it on his own which I think will happen

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 09:59:15 PM »
Mullin should be allowed to coach with whatever staff he chooses. He knows the style he wants to play and the kind of kids he needs to make it work. So far, he has largely recruited high character, talented kids whWe're in year 3 of a total rebuild and the loss of LoVett hurts way more than people think. His on-ball pressure was a large part of our defensive success while he was here. He caused teams real problems in getting the ball up and getting into their offensive sets. As the shot clock winds down, shooting percentages plummet. LoVett is not getting credit for what he did. Played 38 minutes a game and scored 15 per game. Hard to replace those numbers with a thin bench, caused by our recruiting Zach Brown scaring Sima away, Mussini's decision to go home for pro money, Ellison's unwillingness to compete with Simon for playing time, and UConn's continued recruitment of Sid Wilson even after he was on our campus and enrolled in Summer classes.

Having two sit out transfers certainly didn't help when LoVett got hurt and Wilson left, but we should have better roster talent and a deeper bench next season. Two and a half years into a total rebuild, Chris Mullin shouldn't be subjected to the garbage on our fan sites. Luckily for us, I don't think he gives a shit what our angry, aging fan base thinks and will continue to do the job he was hired to do and build a program that will compete for an NCAA  bid every year.
You state that 2 1/2 years in Mullin shouldn't be subject to the garbage on our fan sites (severely doubt he reads them or cares what is said plus he makes 2 mill per so tough nuggies) but by the same token us fans shouldn't be subject to the garbage of an 0-6 BE record heading for much worse.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »
That's pro's not college and you can't compare the two let alone it is football vs basketball.

paultzman

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 10:00:08 PM »

Not sure CM answers to anyone but perhaps the President. Don't think Goff is in the position of mandating changes at this point.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »
That's pro's not college and you can't compare the two let alone it is football vs basketball.

You may be right in regards to pro versus college, but you can compare football vs. basketball, per the changing of coaches on staff. 

IMO, Mullin needs two new assistant coaches.  I know Paultz said there will likely be a change in the offseason, but I'm wondering if he'll make the change for two.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:03:22 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 10:03:21 PM »

Not sure CM answers to anyone but perhaps the President. Don't think Goff is in the position of mandating changes at this point.

3 years and a Legend and you are going to start dictating staff changes to him and at the same time want him to own the program and be your HC??  No, ain't going to happen.  You guys are speaking more as fans demanding something not from a realistic vantage point.

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 10:06:44 PM »
Mullin is in his 3rd year and 0 wins in conference. This is not football, sju should not be this far behind the 8 ball. Mullin sabotaged his third year because according to roster make up, his big jump is going to be 4th year.  So as a fan, I’m going to expect a Mullin coached team who will at best, get 3 wins in big east in year three and then next year get 10 or more cause he has more bodies? 

Let’s take a look at his new bodies next year.

Transfer from sc who barely played and will have not played meaningful minutes since he got to college.
A transfer guard from Quinnipiac, who may turn out to be good, but he has to make up at least half of what Lovett did to be somewhat productive.

4 frosh- one is as raw as u can get  in josh Roberts, a good combo guard who struggles to shoot,  jarron brooks(highly rated) however not signed yet and the kid from Long Island whose rehabbing

That’s 6 new kids who all have to make an immediate impact, cause this current team is so flawed that anything less will not get us anywhere near the tourney.   What’s more amazing is in year 3, we still can’t shoot, rebound or play defense against good teams...

Mullin will get his due time, but hard to see any improvements by him or as team for as long as he does not surround himself with knowledgeable college coaches.

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 10:07:55 PM »
Forgot to mention Packers lost A Rodgers who plays by far the most impt position in the game for most of the season (were 4-1 when he got hurt) and he is arguably the best QB in football. Was not allowed to use this as an excuse. Year 3 of Mullin regime and except for inheriting a piss poor roster all the other excuses are basically BS and anyway are of his own doing. Did anyone expect or sign up for 0-6 and headed for worse in year 3? I think not. For those that don't want to force staff changes then he better win next year because even though some of you will come up with a whole litany of new excuses there really will be none.

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 10:11:42 PM »
Mullin is in his 3rd year and 0 wins in conference. This is not football, sju should not be this far behind the 8 ball. Mullin sabotaged his third year because according to roster make up, his big jump is going to be 4th year.  So as a fan, I’m going to expect a Mullin coached team who will at best, get 3 wins in big east in year three and then next year get 10 or more cause he has more bodies? 

Transfer from sc who barely played and will have not played meaningful minutes since he got to college.
A transfer guard from Quinnipiac, who may turn out to be good, but he has to make up at least half of what Lovett did to be somewhat productive.

4 frosh- one is as raw as u can get  in josh Roberts, a good combo guard who struggles to shoot,  jarron brooks(highly rated) however not signed yet and the kid from Long Island whose rehabbing

That’s 6 new kids who all have to make an immediate impact, cause this current team is so flawed that anything less will not get us anywhere near the tourney.   What’s more amazing is in year 3, we still can’t shoot, rebound or play defense against good teams...

Mullin will get his due time, but hard to see any improvements by him or as team for as long as he does not surround himself with knowledgeable college coaches.
+1,000 and even if it was football you can be highly successful by year 3 in fact that is the year they judge you on in other words a quantum leap by year 3 for a downtrodden program.

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 10:14:01 PM »

Can't argue with that analysis.  But again you can see how this is going to be spun.  They will try to squeeze as much out of this season as possible and then sell, sell, sell next year as the year to turn things around....I am not sold on this roster next year either.  No dominant recruits, not a lot of shooting or scoring...

But it is what it is, that is how it is going to be sold.  Lot of pressure on next season, lot of pressure.

Johnny23

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 10:19:59 PM »

+1,000 and even if it was football you can be highly successful by year 3 in fact that is the year they judge you on in other words a quantum leap by year 3 for a downtrodden program.

Yup. Scott Frost took over a UCF team that was 0-12 and turned them into a 12-0 team in 2 seasons. Oh and by the way, he is a first time HC too.

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 10:21:38 PM »
I want to see this team win, bottom line like every other die hard fan. .  I have argued with a lot of folks who are heavily involved with d1 programs, that sju has the players to win, which many agree, but they have all said our players are pieces to a puzzle without the right person to put the puzzle together.

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »

Yup. Scott Frost took over a UCF team that was 0-12 and turned them into a 12-0 team in 2 seasons. Oh and by the way, he is a first time HC too.

13-0!

Johnny23

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 10:23:46 PM »

Agree on all counts. You make some very good points about the incoming players next year. Not sure how much of an impact those guys will really have either. No real superstars in the class.

Johnny23

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 10:24:25 PM »

13-0!

Ha! That's right. Thanks.