Let's be clear imho...

• 68 replies
Re: Let's be clear imho...
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2018, 10:31:00 PM »
Mullin is in his 3rd year and 0 wins in conference. This is not football, sju should not be this far behind the 8 ball. Mullin sabotaged his third year because according to roster make up, his big jump is going to be 4th year.  So as a fan, I’m going to expect a Mullin coached team who will at best, get 3 wins in big east in year three and then next year get 10 or more cause he has more bodies? 

Let’s take a look at his new bodies next year.

Transfer from sc who barely played and will have not played meaningful minutes since he got to college.
A transfer guard from Quinnipiac, who may turn out to be good, but he has to make up at least half of what Lovett did to be somewhat productive.

4 frosh- one is as raw as u can get  in josh Roberts, a good combo guard who struggles to shoot,  jarron brooks(highly rated) however not signed yet and the kid from Long Island whose rehabbing

That’s 6 new kids who all have to make an immediate impact, cause this current team is so flawed that anything less will not get us anywhere near the tourney.   What’s more amazing is in year 3, we still can’t shoot, rebound or play defense against good teams...

Mullin will get his due time, but hard to see any improvements by him or as team for as long as he does not surround himself with knowledgeable college coaches.

Good breakdown. I'm for giving him another year. The only thing hat would make scrap that would be if Billy Donovan became available. It's not crazy that he could be let go, however you are talking May and then I'm assuming he would even have interest...which he probably wouldn't.

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2018, 10:31:41 PM »
I'm not against a coaching staff change mind you, what I am against is the incessant discussion on chat rooms demanding the change when you don't even know if Mullin wants one and he is the only opinion that matters.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:49:25 AM by fordham96 »

Poison

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2018, 10:48:23 PM »
I'm not against a coaching staff change mind you, what I am against is the incessant discussion on chat rooms demanding the change when you don't even know if Mulling wants one and he is the only opinion that matters.

What makes you think the change will be Mullin’s decision? In the last 3 years he’s proven to be incompetent in every aspect of the job. He needs to be fired. It’s unfortunate that one of our all time greats will need to be shown the door, but that needs to happen before the University considers accepting their CBI bid.

goredmen

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2018, 10:48:57 PM »
I'm not against a coaching staff change mind you, what I am against is the incessant discussion on chat rooms demanding the change when you don't even know if Mulling wants one and he is the only opinion that matters.

Yeah but thats the point. To me, Mullin can be successful but not with this staff. If Mullin doesn't see that he needs some serious help on the sidelines after this season that would be a huge part of the problem. CM realizing that he needs to make a change whether he wants to or not is part of his job

goredmen

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »

What makes you think the change will be Mullin’s decision? In the last 3 years he’s proven to be incompetent in every aspect of the job. He needs to be fired. It’s unfortunate that one of our all time greats will need to be shown the door, but that needs to happen before the University considers accepting their CBI bid.

He's not getting fired. Not after this season, not after next season, not after the season after that. You can scream it all you want it won't happen

Poison

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2018, 10:52:20 PM »
Mullin is in his 3rd year and 0 wins in conference. This is not football, sju should not be this far behind the 8 ball. Mullin sabotaged his third year because according to roster make up, his big jump is going to be 4th year.  So as a fan, I’m going to expect a Mullin coached team who will at best, get 3 wins in big east in year three and then next year get 10 or more cause he has more bodies? 

Transfer from sc who barely played and will have not played meaningful minutes since he got to college.
A transfer guard from Quinnipiac, who may turn out to be good, but he has to make up at least half of what Lovett did to be somewhat productive.

4 frosh- one is as raw as u can get  in josh Roberts, a good combo guard who struggles to shoot,  jarron brooks(highly rated) however not signed yet and the kid from Long Island whose rehabbing

That’s 6 new kids who all have to make an immediate impact, cause this current team is so flawed that anything less will not get us anywhere near the tourney.   What’s more amazing is in year 3, we still can’t shoot, rebound or play defense against good teams...

Mullin will get his due time, but hard to see any improvements by him or as team for as long as he does not surround himself with knowledgeable college coaches.

Good breakdown. I'm for giving him another year. The only thing hat would make scrap that would be if Billy Donovan became available. It's not crazy that he could be let go, however you are talking May and then I'm assuming he would even have interest...which he probably wouldn't.

Why do you think Donovan turned St.John’s down in 2010? Coaches with real options don’t want to work for nice persons. Who can blame Donovan?

goredmen

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 10:54:39 PM »

Why do you think Donovan turned St.John’s down in 2010? Coaches with real options don’t want to work for nice persons. Who can blame Donovan?

Yeah I'm sure that was the reason and not because Florida was throwing tons of money at him and he had a top 20 team returning the following year

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2018, 10:55:49 PM »
No his isn't that's the point. So far he has been too stubborn to make a change. I agree with your original premise that a coach should be able to hire his own staff when he first gets hired and we gave Mullin that right and things appear not to have worked out favorably so if he doesn't feel he wants to make a change you either force one on him or let him have his way knowing he is putting his job on the line to save his assistants. BTW seem to remember Fran F not being able to choose all his assistants or at least some controversy regarding that matter. 

Poison

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »

He's not getting fired. Not after this season, not after next season, not after the season after that. You can scream it all you want it won't happen

We’ll see.

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2018, 10:59:42 PM »
No his isn't that's the point. So far he has been too stubborn to make a change. I agree with your original premise that a coach should be able to hire his own staff when he first gets hired and we gave Mullin that right and things appear not to have worked out favorably so if he doesn't feel he wants to make a change you either force one on him or let him have his way knowing he is putting his job on the line to save his assistants. BTW seem to remember Fran F not being able to choose all his assistants or at least some controversy regarding that matter. 

I agree....  A coach should always be able to hire his own assistant coaches upon taking a job.  But, if things aren't quite going accordingly, then the higher up(s) should be allowed to step in and ask for changes. 

Is that gonna happen with our staff?  I don't know.  But, it should, IMO.

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 11:00:34 PM »

That's what they have always said about every St J's coach since Louie and guess what they all got let go. You think they want to continue to pay 2 mill per to be non competitive? At minimum urged to step down behind the scenes if things continue to be non competitive in BE. If not have fun in the ghost down at Carnesecca Arena.

goredmen

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 11:04:14 PM »

That's what they have always said about every St J's coach since Louie and guess what they all got let go. You think they want to continue to pay 2 mill per to be non competitive? At minimum urged to step down behind the scenes if things continue to be non competitive in BE. If not have fun in the ghost down at Carnesecca Arena.

None of the previous coaches have been named Chris Mullin. He will coach as long as he wants to. One would think if it's not getting better after 5-6 years he'd swallow the bullet and step down on his own. I'm not saying if that's right or wrong, just saying how it is

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »

None of the previous coaches have been named Chris Mullin. He will coach as long as he wants to. One would think if it's not getting better after 5-6 years he'd swallow the bullet and step down on his own. I'm not saying if that's right or wrong, just saying how it is
G'town fired JT3 with the Godfather hovering all over the program and he went to a final 4 and a string of NCAAs. Granted they then hired Patrick Ewing so maybe we better hope Terrance is a good coach.  :)

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
Dictating staff changes especially to someone like Mullin never works.

He's either the HC or he is not.  And this is all easy for you to say since none of you are the HC or actually have to work with said assistant.

So I can't take this seriously.  You don't even know if that is the problem.  You are a fan.

You are here throwing out solutions to problems you are not qualified to solve nor are in any position to solve.

You don't go to practices, sit in on the huddles etc.

And yet you are here suggesting something you are not even sure the boss wants.

Sorry.  Anton Goff and SJU will not be telling Mullin to make a change.  It will be his call as it should be, maybe he does or maybe he doesn't.  But it is his call.

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »

He's either the HC or he is not.  And this is all easy for you to say since none of you are the HC or actually have to work with said assistant.

So I can't take this seriously.  You don't even know if that is the problem.  You are a fan.

You are here throwing out solutions to problems you are not qualified to solve nor are in any position to solve.

Sorry.  Anton Goff and SJU will not be telling Mullin to make a change.  It will be his call as it should be, maybe he does or maybe he doesn't.  But it is his call.
Therein lies the problem. There is no one in charge that has a clue that is big enough to tell an up to this date unsuccessful coach anything. Power 5 conferences the AD is more powerful than the coach unless you're talking about a Nick Saban or a coach K type.

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 10:18:03 PM »

Therein lies the problem. There is no one in charge that has a clue that is big enough to tell an up to this date unsuccessful coach anything. Power 5 conferences the AD is more powerful than the coach unless you're talking about a Nick Saban or a coach K type.

You are right..and Mullin is our Saban, in terms of respect. 
That's it, plain and simple.

No one is dictating anything to Mullin.  Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. Recruiting is getting better.
The kids play period of really good basketball. 
No AD in his right might would dare force a one-sided change on Mullin.

End of story.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 10:48:10 PM »

Let me get this straight, the fans don’t know anything, but St.John’s University does? Um, no.

How many good decisions have they made since 1992? Just the fact that they thought of something, anything basketball related is cause to question their judgement because bad judgement is about the only area where they are consistent.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »

No one is dictating anything to Mullin.  Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. Recruiting is getting better.

End of story.

Mullin is our Yogi Berra without the fun sayings.

Johnny23

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2018, 10:56:16 PM »

End of story.

Mullin couldn't shine Saban's shoes as a HC. Most AD"s would force Mullin to make a change. Only a small time athletic dept like SJU would cowtow to Mullin. Stop fooling yourself.

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »

End of story.

Mullin is our Yogi Berra without the fun sayings.

Babe Ruth would be more accurate.
Whatever I am sure the next guy will be much better.....