Mullin extension

• 84 replies

Poison

Re: Mullin extension
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2018, 10:59:36 PM »
this is classic Baldi, start the war and bow out of the ring and watch the carnage from afar lol

The AD was quoted today and he said that he fully supports Mullin. They’ve made it clear that they are not going to blame Mullin for Mullin’s first three years. I have no knowledge of an extension, but if older donors are willing to accept that our short-handed roster is somehow not his fault, maybe they’ll also believe that despite being 0-8 with upperclassmen, Mullin is actually a basketball savant.

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2018, 11:18:44 PM »
this is classic Baldi, start the war and bow out of the ring and watch the carnage from afar lol
I thought Baldi was going soft once he got married a few years ago and started spending his time at 5 star vacation resorts and A list events. Clearly this year has brought back the old Baldi
Hope that doesn't mean there is trouble in Paradise for his sake.

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2018, 12:51:46 AM »
I would say less than 1% of all the rumors that are thrown out there come true, but if the 1% is ponds leaving and this one falls in the 99% category, I would be ecstatic.

Would you want to be the AD that fires the face of the program?

I don't care if you're Riley, Daily, Popavich or whoever.
Your job as coach ids to make your  team better every year, if no ncaa appearance after year 6, then it's time to go bye bye.

Mullin was a great player here, ty for those fun times.
He took the job as head coach, he knows the job description as head coach is to get your team better every year and succeed.
I think 6 years is enough time to succeed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:04:40 AM by mullin85berry86 »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2018, 12:58:34 AM »
If they extend Mullin I'm definitely not renewing season tickets. I can't even give my tickets away nowadays.

Poison

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2018, 01:07:00 AM »
I would say less than 1% of all the rumors that are thrown out there come true, but if the 1% is ponds leaving and this one falls in the 99% category, I would be ecstatic.

Your job as coach ids to make your  team better every year, if no ncaa appearance after year 6, then it's time to go bye bye.

He took the job as head coach, he knows the job description as head coach is to get your team better every year and succeed.

Is 6 years really enough for us to be sure? Why not give him an even 10 years just to be sure?

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2018, 01:09:04 AM »
I was done with Norm after we got our heads stomped in by Maryland.

Poison

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2018, 01:15:32 AM »

It was clear that Norm had no clue how to do anything basketball related after year two. First year he deserved a pass, just like Mullin got. Still, apples to apples, Norm actually has had more success than Mullin. Shocking that it’s not even close, but by all means let’s fire someone on the staff that no one has ever heard of.

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2018, 03:57:34 AM »

Is 6 years really enough for us to be sure? Why not give him an even 10 years just to be sure?

He has a 6year contract, correct?
He isn't getting fired before his contract expires.

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2018, 06:59:49 AM »
I love how at sju it takes 6 years to figure out if a coach is the right hire.

Foad

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
Blame Norm. I am serious. Prior to him dragging us down to irrelevance for so long, down periods like we have been in would never be tolerated. .

If it was up to you history books would teach children that Norm assassinated Archduke Ferdinand, that the iceberg the Titanic struck was called Geno, that in 79AD Mount Roberts erupted, killing the citizens of Pompeii. And the Bible would have recorded how the apostle Norm betrayed the baby Jesus for 30 silver coins.

Between 1993 and 1997 SJU was 50-61.  That was prior to Norm dragging us down to irrelevance. I think if that period hadn't happened down periods like the Roberts era would never have been tolerated. So really this is all Lou's fault, he picked Mahoney.

Foad

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »
despite being 0-8 with upperclassmen

Yes, a roster full of upperclassmen. Six of 15 players - Ahmed, Alibagowitz, Owens, Clark, Yakwe and someone called Jay Camus - are upperclassmen. They have combined experience within the program of 10 years. Four of those years belong to Alibegowitz, a Lavin recruit, who may perhaps be the worst four year scholarship player in the history of college basketball, and that's despite him being the best shooter anyone's seen since Jason Kapono. Of the upperclassmen one, Yakwe, played for Mullin as a freshman.

Question: if things are as bad as you say they are why do you have to lie to make things worse than they seem?

Marillac

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
We Norm haters are like the guys in the red hats from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Sworn protectors of Norm's horrible reputation.

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »

Was late getting out of Keen's steakhouse. Missed like first 5 mins. Got a beer sat down looked up and we were losing 40-5 or something.

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2018, 11:00:44 AM »
Baldi starts a thread by saying there is a great chance Mullin gets an extension (presumably meaning in the not too distant future) which means there is also a chance he doesn't (meaning in the not too distant future). Within 5 hours there are 3 pages of posts like it is a fait  accompli. This thread makes Baldi the Lavar Ball of JJ.
Baldi thrives in chaos. :)

that's why you can't believe anything he posts.

Truth usually does hurt

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2018, 11:09:55 AM »
Baldi starts a thread by saying there is a great chance Mullin gets an extension (presumably meaning in the not too distant future) which means there is also a chance he doesn't (meaning in the not too distant future). Within 5 hours there are 3 pages of posts like it is a fait  accompli. This thread makes Baldi the Lavar Ball of JJ.

Truth usually does hurt

Old BEB guys remember this oldie but goody from Bluto?
"Kid is coming"
Lance, Syl, I think the Jones' that went to West Virginia
The truth really did hurt since they never came.
Give Baldi benefit of the doubt. Maybe Norm was his source back in the day. The problem was Norm didn't know anything.

« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2018, 11:17:02 AM »

Truth usually does hurt

"Kid is coming"
Give Baldi benefit of the doubt. Maybe Norm was his source back in the day. The problem was Norm didn't know anything.

Both problem children,  Norm knew this. Still Norm and his staff were able to bring in NCAA tournament talent

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2018, 11:20:08 AM »

Truth usually does hurt

"Kid is coming"

Both problem children,  Norm knew this. Still Norm and his staff were able to bring in NCAA tournament talent

Oh was Norm's decision not to take those guys. That makes sense.

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2018, 11:26:42 AM »

Truth usually does hurt

"Kid is coming"

No. those guys knew what St Johns was offering.  Or wasn't.

Norm put together a nice mid major team that made the tournament as seniors.

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »

Truth usually does hurt

"Kid is coming"

Norm put together a nice mid major team that made the tournament as seniors.

The best two players on that team were Norm's 6th and 7th men the year before and would have continued as such.
Norm's teams were very boring and I think we were last in the BE in scoring every year he coached.
He made Geno the focal point of his offense. Geno was just not bad, he was boring and just made the game of basketball hard to watch.
Finally, yes we are 0-8 but other than 2nd half of Prov and Depaul game we are in every game. Some might say big deal and I understand that thinking. But under Norm I think there were like 10 -15 games a year where we just got our doors blown off. Like 25 + point losses.

Norm is the reason that I could never hate Jarvis or Lavin.

Pete88

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2018, 11:43:25 AM »

Truth usually does hurt

"Kid is coming"

Norm didn't have no automobiles???