Around Big East

• 3954 replies

MCNPA

Re: Around Big East
« Reply #3200 on: June 26, 2017, 10:32:15 AM »
The league is gonna be very strong this year.  Lots of talented teams and plenty with experience.  Nova finally has their punishing big man in Spellman to go along with the rest of the significant talent they once again have.  Big Eat keeps getting stronger, and the league's recruiting gets stronger every year.  Butler suffered a setback, but I get the feeling they will get back on track.

QuanMan

« Reply #3201 on: June 26, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
The league is gonna be very strong this year.  Lots of talented teams and plenty with experience.  Nova finally has their punishing big man in Spellman to go along with the rest of the significant talent they once again have.  Big Eat keeps getting stronger, and the league's recruiting gets stronger every year.  Butler suffered a setback, but I get the feeling they will get back on track.

Coincidentally Roth lead off his Summer long previews with the Big East this morning, I'll post the accompanying podcast later on tonight if no one else has.

GREAT read-

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstein-files-big-east-offseason-notebook/amp/
Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

« Reply #3202 on: June 26, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »
Cooley has guided Providence to four consecutive 20 win seasons, making the NCAA Tourney each year. Next year is going to bring high expectations with four seniors starting. Their roster is stacked. A senior BE POY candidate next year in Bullock, couple in seniors Cartwright, Lindsey and Holt along with a very talented sophomore in Alpha Diallo. Incoming 4 star PG Langford as well. I felt that our best win last season was @Providence, they're the most underrated team heading into next season IMO.

They are going to be really good, but I feel like a team with 2-3 strong guards can give them big problems. They can't stop the ball on defense. I love that that 6-6 to 6-8 group of players they have led by Bullock and Holt. I think Clark will go a long way for us in those battles. A 225-230 lb Owens could put us over the top of them, but we never see gains like that under our strength and conditioning staff.

Who's the better senior laden team next year, Hall or Providence?

Hall due to their size and depth up front. They are a bad matchup for Providence head to head. Both are locks for the tournament. There won't be much separating the top 7-8 teams.

I think for that exact reason it is hard to call anyone other than Nova and X a lock. I agree the Hall and PC should definitely be tournament teams but with how good the league will be and how crazy the non conference can be if either team starts very slow they won't be able to pad their win totals in conference play. This years league play might be the best we have had since the re configuration.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:15:03 AM by Wods317 »

MCNPA

« Reply #3203 on: June 26, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
Cooley has guided Providence to four consecutive 20 win seasons, making the NCAA Tourney each year. Next year is going to bring high expectations with four seniors starting. Their roster is stacked. A senior BE POY candidate next year in Bullock, couple in seniors Cartwright, Lindsey and Holt along with a very talented sophomore in Alpha Diallo. Incoming 4 star PG Langford as well. I felt that our best win last season was @Providence, they're the most underrated team heading into next season IMO.

They are going to be really good, but I feel like a team with 2-3 strong guards can give them big problems. They can't stop the ball on defense. I love that that 6-6 to 6-8 group of players they have led by Bullock and Holt. I think Clark will go a long way for us in those battles. A 225-230 lb Owens could put us over the top of them, but we never see gains like that under our strength and conditioning staff.

Hall due to their size and depth up front. They are a bad matchup for Providence head to head. Both are locks for the tournament. There won't be much separating the top 7-8 teams.

I think for that exact reason it is hard to call anyone other than Nova and X a lock. I agree the Hall and PC should definitely be tournament teams but with how good the league will be and how crazy the non conference can be if either team starts very slow they won't be able to pad their win totals in conference play. This years league play might be the best we have had since the re configuration.

I think league will get at least 6 bids.  Nova, Xavier, Hall, PC, SJU and either Butler or Creighton.  Butler has talent and some good recruits.  They already lost at least one to Ohio state and are in a coaching transition.  It's a wait-and-see, but they have plenty of talent. Creighton doesn't have much up front, and they were bolstered in a BIG way with Justin Patton last year.  Just not sure they have enough this season with how tough the league is overall.  I know we are also in that group with butler and Creighton, but I think this year we have what it takes.  Gotta defend...

Marillac

« Reply #3204 on: June 26, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »

I think league will get at least 6 bids.  Nova, Xavier, Hall, PC, SJU and either Butler or Creighton.  Butler has talent and some good recruits.  They already lost at least one to Ohio state and are in a coaching transition.  It's a wait-and-see, but they have plenty of talent. Creighton doesn't have much up front, and they were bolstered in a BIG way with Justin Patton last year.  Just not sure they have enough this season with how tough the league is overall.  I know we are also in that group with butler and Creighton, but I think this year we have what it takes.  Gotta defend...

Creighton is a lock. Great coach. More talent than he's ever had. Two all-conference guards plus the Syracuse transfer and two very good recruits. Senior center that started two years.

MCNPA

« Reply #3205 on: June 26, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »

Creighton is a lock. Great coach. More talent than he's ever had. Two all-conference guards plus the Syracuse transfer and two very good recruits. Senior center that started two years.
So you're saying it's us or Butler?😉  I'll take us...

Marillac

« Reply #3206 on: June 26, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »

If we carry our weight and this new Butler coach is good, we could get 8 teams in. I know that sounds crazy. I think 6 for sure and probably 7.

« Reply #3207 on: June 27, 2017, 08:29:32 AM »

If we carry our weight and this new Butler coach is good, we could get 8 teams in. I know that sounds crazy. I think 6 for sure and probably 7.

You of all people saying something crazy? Get out 😜

QuanMan

« Reply #3208 on: July 24, 2017, 03:55:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/PCFriarsmbb/status/889564545026535424

Cooley's roster is the best kept secret in the conference IMO.
Section 3
Section 116

QuanMan

Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #3210 on: July 27, 2017, 06:01:58 PM »

I agree. A big reason why is because they spend a lot less time bragging than we do.

« Reply #3211 on: July 27, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »

I agree. A big reason why is because they spend a lot less time bragging than we do.

« Reply #3213 on: August 01, 2017, 07:04:14 PM »
Interesting...

whether ESPN canned them or GT backed out...

Mullin & team showed at Maui Invitational in his year 1 as coach...

« Reply #3214 on: August 01, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »
Interesting...

Spin of the year turning that situation to shedding a positive light on St. John's.  ???

« Reply #3215 on: August 02, 2017, 12:26:14 AM »
Interesting...

Rumors surfacing that the Hoyas backed out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:27:11 AM by mjdinkins »

QuanMan

« Reply #3216 on: August 09, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »
Section 3
Section 116

derk

« Reply #3217 on: August 09, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »
Strengthening the mini union, I like it-

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2017/7/27/mens-basketball-four-conferences-join-big-east-acc-basketball-officiating-alliance.aspx

This link got me to spend some time checking the Big East conference numbers. Here's what I found :

We finished last in :

Scoring defense
Rebounding defense
Rebounding margin
Defensive rebounding percentage.

We finished next to last in :

Scoring margin
Field goal percentage
Field goal percentage - defensive
3 point field goal percentage - defense
Rebounding
Assists
Assist to T/O ratio
Defensive rebounding
Offensive rebounding percentage

After looking at these numbers you realize that either coach did a lousy job coaching this team or a great job coaching this crew of ragamuffins to 7 Big East wins. Amazing .

MCNPA

« Reply #3218 on: August 09, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2017/7/27/mens-basketball-four-conferences-join-big-east-acc-basketball-officiating-alliance.aspx

This link got me to spend some time checking the Big East conference numbers. Here's what I found :

We finished last in :

Scoring defense
Rebounding defense
Rebounding margin

Scoring margin
Field goal percentage
Rebounding
Assists
Assist to T/O ratio
Defensive rebounding

After looking at these numbers you realize that either coach did a lousy job coaching this team or a great job coaching this crew of ragamuffins to 7 Big East wins. Amazing .

. It would be helpful to show some of our positive margins as well to get a full picture.

TONYD3

« Reply #3219 on: August 18, 2017, 11:25:41 PM »

We finished last in :

Scoring defense
Rebounding defense
Rebounding margin

Scoring margin
Field goal percentage
Rebounding
Assists
Assist to T/O ratio
Defensive rebounding

. It would be helpful to show some of our positive margins as well to get a full picture.
If these numbers are correct, we were awful playing offense,, rebounding, and playing defense. Are their numbers that show different?