When did you become a St Johns fan?

• 90 replies
Re: When did you become a St Johns fan?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 12:49:42 PM »
Played (and lost) against the McGuires at 108 st court in Rockaway Beach back in the 50's and that's what got me on board.

Very impressed by Dick.

Al was the nastiest ballplayer I had ever seen.

My brother went to SJU ('60) and my son went there as well ('06).

Been an SJU fan for over half a century.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »
Was a biddy and got bused in wit the Fresh Air kids from the Bx to St.John that look like Shangra-lah and Xanadu all wrapped up to one. Coach Lou took me aside to show me how to shoot a ball in the proper fashion. Was so nice to me. And didnt have to be.

Loyalty was formed. Bonded 4 Life.

It's these chance encounters out of the spotlight that reveal character.

I was never crazy about Spike Lee until my son (then 11 or so) and I were waiting for our car in a parking lot after a Knicks game. Spike showed up and struck up a conversation with my son about school, teachers, basketball, etc. and ever since then I've had nothing but respect for the man.

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

Was my favorite announcer of all time. Funny quote was "in a fight don't worry about the guy who rolls up his sleeves, worry about the guy who takes his wristwatch off."

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »
season ticket holder since high school in 1962---Lapchick's only losing season.

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »
season ticket holder since high school in 1962---Lapchick's only losing season.

Must have seen and liked Larry Lembo and Lenny S., of Manhattan fame. Great HS team.

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »
1951-52 season freshman in high school. Old MSG with sro and college double headers had been an LIU fan  particularly Sherman White.

First game as a student UCLA v SJU sro paid $5  to sit on the steps. The feature game was USF ( Bill Russell ) v Holy Cross ( Tommy Heinson ) sic

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »

Was my favorite announcer of all time. Funny quote was "in a fight don't worry about the guy who rolls up his sleeves, worry about the guy who takes his wristwatch off."

I loved McGuire and Packer together back in the day.  I was so disappointed when they split up.  Al had such a genuine personality and it came through in his broadcasts.

pmg911

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 01:43:41 PM »
First game was 1979 - 80 season when my Father took me and my brothers. He was good friends with the Coach at St. Francis Prep HS and they were playing a game before St. John's. We got to meet the entire team and Coach Carnesecca, been hooked since.

I am Class of 1988 from high school and one of my very good friends played for SJU from 88 - 92. I got to spend a lot of time with the players on the teams then and a few of them are still good friends today. After my Freshman year of college I came home and went to school locally, we used to drive to as many road SJU games as we could from 89 - 90 season thru 91- 92 year, great times. Tripped to BC, Providence, Syracuse, Gtown (multiple times)

Then when I graduated college in 1993 (5 year plan), my Father gave me season tickets as a graduation present.

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
My parents are both alums so I've been a fan as long as I can remember but the first memory I have of actually going to games when I was a freshman in high school and my dad took me to the Holiday Festival in Norms first year where we smoked NC State. After that I started going to all the MSG games then became a student and started going to all of the games at CA too. Just recently graduated with my MBA from St. John's.

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 02:01:14 PM »
In the mid 60's when I was in Jr. high School and my cousin took me to see the McEntyre Brothers.  I was hooked from there but became real into it when I attended St. John 's as a frosh in the fall of 1969.

If the fantasy was not already dead...this will be the final nail in the coffin.  :smiley6600:

crgreen

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »
"followed" St. Johns since '53, when Zawoluk, McMahon and Finn all entered the NBA.   But honestly didn't become a fan till late March, 2010, when Steve Lavin was hired.

nrb155

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »
Christ, there's a lotta old folk on the boards.... didn't even know you guys knew how to operate computers

Old man was class of '68, I was born in '87 in CT... been fighting PUKON fans my whole life

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »
Born in 83 - grew up a Johnnies fan.  My CYO team played at half time at Alumni Hall for one of those Marathon Oil exhibition games.  Shawnelle Scott was my favorite player until Bootsy tore up Duke. 

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »
  Uncle played baseball for SJU, got my Dad into it and we have had seats since 1973.  Went to the first BIg EASt tourney and just about every one since. Now my kids come to the games with us, it's pretty cool. My daughter met Looie at a Dr.'s office and he knew the family name from my Uncle, which was very cool.

desco80

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »
Born in 83 - grew up a Johnnies fan.  My CYO team played at half time at Alumni Hall for one of those Marathon Oil exhibition games.  Shawnelle Scott was my favorite player until Bootsy tore up Duke.

What school Chudney?   I'm  83 too, and my cyo team played at halftime also.   We were from Our Lady of Mercy in Hicksville.    If my recollection is right we played Our Lady of Hope, but I could be wrong. 

jsk

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
I became a fan around the early 60's when LeRoy Ellis and teammates got lost in my neighborhood in Qiueens on their way to the Jamaica campus from Brooklyn. I gave them directions and they were able to get to Alumni Hall in time. I've been a Redmen fan ever since and a proud graduate as well! :)

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »

What school Chudney?   I'm  83 too, and my cyo team played at halftime also.   We were from Our Lady of Mercy in Hicksville.    If my recollection is right we played Our Lady of Hope, but I could be wrong.

That's unreal - Yes I played for OLH in Carle Place and we played you guys like a dozen times over the years.  You had that 7 footer who went on to play at Columbia, right? 

PM me

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »
1963...even the freshman team was impressive...

the varsity lost a close one to ohio state early and i was sold.  we beat creighton with rebounding leader paul silas...loyola of chicago which was reigning national champion...and number one nyu by 20...and i became obsessed.

it just dawned on me.  this is the 50th season i've followed this team.  yikes!!

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »
1963...even the freshman team was impressive...

the varsity lost a close one to ohio state early and i was sold.  we beat creighton with rebounding leader paul silas...loyola of chicago which was reigning national champion...and number one nyu by 20...and i became obsessed.

it just dawned on me.  this is the 50th season i've followed this team.  yikes!!

Join the club Newsie, but it is a young 50!

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
i like joan rivers' line.  calling someone 80 years young is like calling a fat person 300 pounds thin.