When did you become a St Johns fan?

• 90 replies

crgreen

Re: When did you become a St Johns fan?
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »
Christ, there's a lotta old folk on the boards.... didn't even know you guys knew how to operate computers

Old man was class of '68, I was born in '87 in CT... been fighting PUKON fans my whole life

Son, some of us BUILT the first computers    :)     

Well, I'm not really THAT old.   But I did work with I.J. Good, who DID.

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
Started following the Redmen in high school...loved watching Davis, Schaeffer, Searcy et al...remember watching them face off against Marvin Barnes and Providence...

Told my mom, I want to go to St. John's, and the great mom that she was (and thanfully still is), she (and my dad) made sacrifices to allow me go...never regretted it

gman

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
My grandfather had tickets long before I was alive.  Both my parents are alums and had tickets since I was a baby.  I was born an SJU fan

DFF6

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 08:55:32 PM »
I was a casual fan of the Redmen throughout the 80's.  Became an ardent fan once I enrolled at SJU (class of 94). 

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »
Born in '91. My dad is from Brooklyn and is a huge St. John's fan, and it just rubbed off on me. I became a fan during the Jarvis years when my dad took me to my first game. I live upstate near Saratoga, so I only make it to a couple games per season. To be honest, this site and Redmen.com took my fandom to a new level. It allows me to follow the team more closely and it's fun to follow the recruiting battles and have conversations during the games.

boo3

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
Born in '91. My dad is from Brooklyn and is a huge St. John's fan, and it just rubbed off on me. I became a fan during the Jarvis years when my dad took me to my first game. I live upstate near Saratoga, so I only make it to a couple games per season. To be honest, this site and Redmen.com took my fandom to a new level. It allows me to follow the team more closely and it's fun to follow the recruiting battles and have conversations during the games.

Wow, for some reason I thought you were much older.  Guess you have a mature posting style, whatever the hell that means.

maybe I'm just freaking old. I graduated high school in '91.

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »

Wow, for some reason I thought you were much older.  Guess you have a mature posting style, whatever the hell that means.

maybe I'm just freaking old. I graduated high school in '91.

Haha well thanks...I think.

And I wouldn't worry, compared to most of the posters in this thread, you're still young  :)

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »
In the mid 60's when I was in Jr. high School and my cousin took me to see the McEntyre Brothers.  I was hooked from there but became real into it when I attended St. John 's as a frosh in the fall of 1969.

If the fantasy was not already dead...this will be the final nail in the coffin.  :smiley6600:

Sorry to burst the proverbial bubble. :crazy2:

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 12:02:34 AM »
All of a sudden I feel young on this board! Relatively! I loved Lenny S and Lembo. Went to Loughlin with me. Lenny never cut us any slack when he was a referee either.

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »
i remember first games i went to was the george johnson days, then bernard rencher and reggie carter.

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 12:42:51 AM »
1998-1999 season, I was nine years old. My love for the basketball team actually is what made me go to the school.

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
I first became a St. Johns fan around 2001-2002, to be honest Marcus Hatten, bootsy Thornton, Omar cook, type players attracted me to st johns basketball. Growing up in Connecticut I obviously grew up around nothing but uconn fans, now I hate uconn! I'm only 22 so I didn't become a die hard until I was about 11-12 years old. I have seen a lot of losing over the years and have still stayed loyal, as all of you have. I can't wait for us to have the same successes that we had in the early 2000s but even more wins!

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2013, 12:57:05 AM »
A late fan of sju when I attended grad school there. Unfortunately it was when the whole pitt scandal unfolded. Used to love watching Ohio State vs. St. Johns battle during the early and late nineties.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2013, 03:43:35 AM »
I always liked St. John's growing up in Long Island as the local school, but UNC was my favorite team from when I was a kid until I started going to St. John's. One of my best friend's younger brother was a HUGE fan who basically went to almost every home game. He was diagnosed with leukemia, and later died. But while he was sick I tried to get him tickets to a game vs. Pitt that for some reason he couldn't get tickets for (they ended up upsetting them that year). I was a freshman and of course was lost looking for where to buy the tickets with my student ID. As I was looking around I saw Coach Roberts so I went up to him and asked him where I could get tickets. He walked me to the ticket booth, and thanked me for my support, and he and the coaching staff later reached out to my friends family. From then on I renounced my UNC fandom, and have been a diehard fan of St. John's since. That gesture really meant a lot to me, and my friend's family too, and I knew this was the kind of program I wanted to be a fan of.

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2013, 06:16:10 AM »
I can remember going to the little theater as a child to see a show on campus and meeting Charles Minlend. I have been a fan ever since that day. I don't remember what was the first game i ever attended, but I do remember getting the whole team to sign a Red Storm Hat and getting Felipe to sign my Lopez jersey. I believe it was during his senior year and Ron's first. Big thanks to my brother for taking me to all those games when i was a kid. Almost twenty years later and we still meet up, and enjoy the games together.

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 08:12:46 AM »
Part of me is heartened that so many young peeps is fans even though they only experience the last 20 year - which contain the lowest points in the 'gram's histry.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 09:58:48 AM »
Part of me is heartened that so many young peeps is fans even though they only experience the last 20 year - which contain the lowest points in the 'gram's histry.

Can only speak for myself choz, but I didnt choose the program, it chose me.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »
Hundreds and hundreds of years for those of us who have ridden the roller coaster of victory and defeat in St. John's basketball.

A little story for my fellow dinosaurs.

On his 100th birthday George Allen was asked what was the best thing about reaching 100 years of age.

Unhesitatingly, George quipped, "Lack of peer pressure."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:01:20 AM by qcredman »

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 10:01:48 AM »

Can only speak for myself choz, but I didnt choose the program, it chose me.

Correct.  Much like the Mets Jets and Knicks.

sju89tr

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
Despite the ups and downs, I couldn't be happier being a St Johns alumnus and fan. I came to St Johns because of the basketball team being a fan and hanging up my cleats as I didn't want to go to other local schools to play baseball and I wasn't good enough to play for St. Johns. In addition, I get to waste a part of my productive day talking with you folks.