When did you become a St Johns fan?

• 90 replies
Re: When did you become a St Johns fan?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »
Even as an undergrad at NYU in the early 60's there was a special respect for Lapchick.  When Violet went to Division 3 I became a STJ fan and later finished my doctorate there.

desco80

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 11:13:41 AM »
This is one of the best threads in a long time.  And I'm pleasantly surprised and the diversity of experiences the posters here have.   Amazing actually. 

Plus, I discovered Chudney and I played against each other at halftime 20 years ago! 

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
Moved to the city in September '84 and as a big time college hoops fan started attending a lot of games with my college buddies who also had moved in.  At first we were dragged in by the excellent fields for the pre season NIT and then attending more.  This of course meant a lot of STJ games and of course '84-'86 meant seeing the two greatest STJ teams of my adult life to start.  Hooked.

derk

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
No connection to the school other then I was a big basketball fan. A big NY basketball fan. Loved all the great NY teams of the fifties and sixties - SJU, NYU, LIU, Manhattan, Fordham.

Sometime in the early 60's I started to follow SJU more, as the other teams started to fade. Then one summer Louie gave a clinic in Coney Island. I went with my cousin. I met Louie and touted my cousin as a great basketball player. He must have been all of 5'5". To his credit Louie wanted to know all about him until we both cracked up and told Louie it was all a joke. We all had a good laugh. That was it. Another 50 + year fan.

redslope

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
My mom wanted me to go to SJU as I would be the first in the family to attend and she had a cousin who went to the school, law school and became the dean there.  I got a scholarship to Manhattan so that decided that but made her happy when I got my MBA from SJU in the 1970's.  Loved College BB and used to go to old MSG with GO card for great games/fifty cents upstairs.  When doing MBA, I would leave at the break and go to Alumni Hall and was hooked with Glen Williams, George Johnson,Beaver Smith, Mel Utley and Frankie Alagia during the time I was there.  When my wife was at the law school I used to go to all the games at Alumni as she was always in the library.  Since she is out we have season Tickets for over 30 years.

bk8664

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2013, 09:42:04 AM »
Hello all,
I became a fan around 15 or 20 years ago when my older brother went to school in Queens.  I am not an alum.  It's funny, I became a nut fan of the team, and now he is only a casual fan.  I keep him informed. 

I started reading these fan boards only in the last couple of years, and I only worked up the courage to start posting on them recently.   I hope you all will indulge me a bit.  I promise to be civil. 

To administrators of this board - thank you very much. It is very well run. 

bk

Poison

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:15 AM »
Shortly after deciding that I enjoyed cutting myself.

bk8664

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »
Shortly after deciding that I enjoyed cutting myself.

Haha..  It's definitely been a lean 15 or 20 years.  I'm a glutton for punishment.  Maybe, just maybe things have turned around for good here....   It's funny, I'm a MLB fan and an NFL fan as well, and I get a lot more fun rooting for these guys - even during all these lean years -  than any of the pro teams. 

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
Felipe Lopez scoring 40 something as a freshman, didnt have a college team yet and I loved the bulls and thought Lopez reminded me of Jordan a little bit his freshman year, but we all know how that played out.  But it was Felipe Lopez who made me a huge fan of St. John's.

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »
Felipe Lopez scoring 40 something as a freshman, didnt have a college team yet and I loved the bulls and thought Lopez reminded me of Jordan a little bit his freshman year, but we all know how that played out.  But it was Felipe Lopez who made me a huge fan of St. John's.

Respct.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »

At Syracuse , freshman year, Felipe scored 38.  I believe that was his career high.

My dad took me to a Georgetown/STJ game at MSG in early 80's.  Was hooked after that.  Kevin Williams tried to fight Ewing.

Poison

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »

What? When did Felipe score 40 points in a game??? Answer: never!

Poison

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »

At Syracuse , freshman year, Felipe scored 38.  I believe that was his career high.

My dad took me to a Georgetown/STJ game at MSG in early 80's.  Was hooked after that.  Kevin Williams tried to fight Ewing.

He scored 35, and we lost that game. Moten was smarter.

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2017, 11:02:26 AM »
in 87-88 when Boo Harvey and Mike Porter were running the backcourt.  I have a few games from this season on dvd but trying to find more.  I've tried MSG Network, no luck.  Did anyone happen to tape any games back then?  Would be willing to convert to digital for you for free and return both versions.

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »
Never cared for St Johns. Was hardly a basketball fan before I got accepted and went there in 2009. '

Lavin's 1st season got me interested in the team and I've grown as a fan ever since.

Johnny23

« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
I was born into it. My Dad graduated in the late 50's from the Brooklyn campus. Louie also coached my Dad as a kid in youth baseball growing up in the city.

My earliest memories were the year before the Final Four run when they lost in the '84 tourney. I was only 7 or 8 at the time. Then the '85 team had me hooked. After that when I was about 10 my Dad got me my official Redmen jacket for Christmas and the rest is history.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:55:29 AM by Johnny23 »

derk

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »
1960. I was a basketball fan. Loved the Knicks. Had to follow the local college basketball game. Loved LIU, NYU, MANHATTAN, FORDHAM also. We were the most successful out of that group so Johnnies it was.

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »
Was a young kid, and my sister went to sju. First game I went to was probably mid 70s. I remember George Johnson, Reggie Carter, Rencher, and Frank Alagia. I actually went to SJU cause of my love for the team.

« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2017, 10:01:34 PM »
I was at Bishop Loughlin in the late 50s and became a big basketball fan. Went to Pace early 60s The Pacesetter never did it for me.  St. Johns had some great teams and got the most press.  They are the only college basketball team I ever followed. 

wpc77

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:28 PM »
Birth. Dad was a past president of alumni association and took my to my first game at age 2 in 1979