When did you become a St Johns fan?

• 90 replies
Re: When did you become a St Johns fan?
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
Started watching in 2000 with Barkley , postell and bootsy when I was 9...First game was at the Garden when hatten beat duke at the buzzer.....I have been going to games ever since and last 4 years post college have attended every game at MSG

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »
Low to mid 80s. I remember watching that 84-85 team. 3 losses that year.
2 vs. G-Town and @ Niagara.

What if we played Novas opponent and Nova played G-Town in the F4, and we played Nova in the finals?

We'll never know. Yeah, why play the what ifs?

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2017, 06:34:10 PM »
I think it was channel 9 that used to broadcast the games. Remember Frank Alagia, Beaver Smith and Billy Sheaffer. The NCAA run in 1979. McCoy, Reggie Carter, David Russell. Going to ECAC Holiday Festivals at the Garden every year.

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
Low to mid 80s. I remember watching that 84-85 team. 3 losses that year.
2 vs. G-Town and @ Niagara.

What if we played Novas opponent and Nova played G-Town in the F4, and we played Nova in the finals?

We'll never know. Yeah, why play the what ifs?
Actually 4 total losses and 3 to Georgetown but I'd take that every year.

cjfish

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
Went to Fordham (70) but for hoops my heart was in Queens.  Saw my first game during the period (around 1960) when Billy Lawrence was at the point and was hooked.  My friend Tim, (Hurl the Pearl) Hurley's mom worked in the ROTC office and got us tickets during HS and College.  Fondest memory was the 65 season, Lapchick's  final season, when the McIntyers lead the team to the NIT crown.  Loved the teams in those years, all the squads were tough, defense oriented teams with a succession of great players, Sonny Dove, Rudy Bogad, Joe Depre, John Warren, Schaeffer, Ralphy Abraham and the Whopper, Billy Paultz.  Was a gym rat at Fordham and played pickup at Alumni hall as well.  Great times, a Queens girlfriend, and beers at Sams.   

NYCoffey

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »
Before my time but very poetic. I had no choice to be a Giants, Knicks, Mets and of course St. John's fan. First game was probably around 1980 at alumni hall against DePaul. Not sure who was on the team but we had fun at those games. 84 and 85 had to catch at the knights of Columbus because we didn't have cable. But man that team made me love St. Johns. Still do and think we are on are way back.

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
Early Life-Capital District, I was a Yankee, Giant, and Redmen fan, I remember reading everything I could about the NY teams. Moved to Syracuse,in 52 finding stuff to read about the Redmen became more difficult, but in 1957 I enrolled into the Pharmacy Program at St. John's in Brooklyn. We had a coach by the name of Lapchick, a few guys I watched thru my years in school included Gus Alfieri, LeRoy Ellis, Tony Jackson,Kevin Loughery,Alan Seiden, to name a few. I have followed them voraciously for 68 years. Living in Syracuse that can be a challenge in local press. Graduated from St. John's class of 1961
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:29:44 PM by frank61 »
The Big East needs a strong SJU program!

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2017, 12:05:15 AM »
In 2008 ( my first year at SJU)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:05:41 AM by Foryoureyesonly88 »

Rodman

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2017, 12:17:35 AM »
1985  What a great year!  Fell in love with the team - Mullin, Wennington, Berry, Louie's sweater.  Never turned back. 

« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
Mullin's freshman year, I wasn't much of a basketball fan but I went to a Red White game and saw this kid dominating all over the court.  So good he played for the Red team in the first half and they killed the White team and then switched jerseys in the second half and the White killed the Red.  I've been hooked ever since.

« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2017, 09:59:57 PM »
1985 Big east Championship on TV...only real college basketball team in the area. Got hooked on the Redmen and continued to watch. Loved Chris Mullin, Walter Berry, Mark JacksoN, Malik Sealy, Bootsy Thornton, Lavar Postell, Marcus Hatten, Anthony Glover...even through the lean years of Norm Roberts...have continued to root from Cuse country in upstate NY.  The last 3 years have been unbelievable in regards to the SJU-SU rivalry...got see the boys win in their last two trips to the Dome. Trust the process!!!!