Under Armour

• 576 replies
Re: Under Armour
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2013, 07:41:06 AM »
I can't really think of a name that wouldn't sound bad at first.

One thing for sure is that we have one of, if not the worst, nickname in college bball.

Similar, but worse:  Crimson Tide, Green Wave.
Definitely worse:  Billikens, Gamecocks, Cornhuskers, Horned Frogs, Hoyas.

That's just off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are many more.  Red Storm has actually grown on me.  I don't mind it at all like I did at the beginning.  Marquette fans hate Golden Eagles because they preferred Warriors.  I'm sure most of us don't see anything wrong with Golden Eagles.  It's just the move away from tradition that bothers us.

« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »
I can't really think of a name that wouldn't sound bad at first.

One thing for sure is that we have one of, if not the worst, nickname in college bball.

Similar, but worse:  Crimson Tide, Green Wave.
Definitely worse:  Billikens, Gamecocks, Cornhuskers, Horned Frogs, Hoyas.

That's just off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are many more.  Red Storm has actually grown on me.  I don't mind it at all like I did at the beginning.  Marquette fans hate Golden Eagles because they preferred Warriors.  I'm sure most of us don't see anything wrong with Golden Eagles.  It's just the move away from tradition that bothers us.

Hoyas worse than us? I'd disagree. The other ones you mentioned are up for debate.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »
We're just so used to colleges that you can associate with a mascot.  That's why animals make for such a natural nickname.

But what's a "Met" other than someone who lives in NY?  Or who are the Magic or Heat?    Basically players that just wear a jersey for teams in Florida.

If we can get beyond trying to visualize what a "Johnnie" looks like, and can accept that a Johnnie is just a basketball player for St Johns, then it makes much more sense. 

« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »
How about the Red Eagles?
The Big East needs a strong SJU program!

« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »

How bout Red Stripe? Hooray St. John's!

« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »
The problem with Red Storm is that there is no direct mascot that can be associated with it. For years I've been waiting for SJ to get a well-known mascot and maybe even appear in one of those "This is Sportscenter" commercials on ESPN. Providence and UMass had their mascots on there. I won't lie though I love the beginnings of games at MSG with the thunder and the red lightning when it gets dark...pretty cool.

Our mascot is too generic...it won't catch on and our name makes it harder to develop cool and logical logos. Does anyone know if SJ is seriously considering logo/name changes or it's all speculation? Considering the school just got new logos not too long ago and a new mascot just a few years back it would be surprising to change so fast but I'd encourage it.

Marillac

« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »

How bout Red Stripe? Hooray St. John's!

Hahah we are located in JAMAICA, NY  :)

« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »
None of these issues have hurt Alabama---especially in football.

Moose

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »
The problem with Red Storm is that there is no direct mascot that can be associated with it. For years I've been waiting for SJ to get a well-known mascot and maybe even appear in one of those "This is Sportscenter" commercials on ESPN. Providence and UMass had their mascots on there. I won't lie though I love the beginnings of games at MSG with the thunder and the red lightning when it gets dark...pretty cool.

Our mascot is too generic...it won't catch on and our name makes it harder to develop cool and logical logos. Does anyone know if SJ is seriously considering logo/name changes or it's all speculation? Considering the school just got new logos not too long ago and a new mascot just a few years back it would be surprising to change so fast but I'd encourage it.

A mascot?  That's what your concerned about?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2013, 10:54:20 PM »

A mascot?  That's what your concerned about?

Well not primarily. That would come last IMO. I'd like a nice new fresh look with our jerseys first maybe incorporate more colors, a different alternate logo (I like the SJ but we can use another to replace the ST.JOHN'S with the T and J connected. It looks too long and blocky. I'd rather some script one like Maryland got from UA.

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »
What would a Johnnie mascot look like? A guy meeting up with a hooker?

« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2013, 11:24:29 AM »
Im actually pretty happy and content with Johnny Thunderbird as our mascot.

It would be cool if those hawks or falcons that frequented our campus would be trained to do a fly over before every game at MSG and Carnessecca.

« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »
How can anybody not like a mascot named after New York Dolls rock legend Johnny Thunders?  It's perfect as is:

desco80

« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »
I really could couldn't care less what our mascot is.   I think mascots are overrated, and colleges become obsessed over them but they're not that necessary to develop a memorable brand. 
Anybody seen a Yankee or  Knickerbocker walking around recently?   I haven't.
How much of Syracuse's stuff actually has a big orange on it?  Very little.   They're just Syracuse.
Stanford is technically the cardinal, and their logo includes a tree.   They hardly ever refer to it or use it.
My soon to be wife went to Dartmouth, we have sweatshirts and crap all over my apartment and I still can't tell you what the Big Green are. 
A Johnnie could be a person who plays basketball for St Johns, and I'd be fine with that.   A player in a red jersey with a basketball - the end.   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:12:25 PM by desco80 »

boo3

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
 Agree Desco... All of this nonsense is meaningless.  If you win games and are consistently a top program all this periphery stuff takes care of itself..

desco80

« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
Agree Desco... All of this nonsense is meaningless.  If you win games and are consistently a top program all this periphery stuff takes care of itself..

Exactly Boo.   We're setup to have a successful season, we do that and everyone will know who st johns is.   

ras

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
 If we become a perinial top 25 team the redstorm nickname will become more meaningfull and identified w winning. We had great success w the redmen nickname and coincidentally since switching to redstorm we havent been that good. IMO thats what puts a bad taste in our mouth w the redstorm nickname, but hopefully that will change.

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »
I really could couldn't care less what our mascot is.   I think mascots are overrated, and colleges become obsessed over them but they're not that necessary to develop a memorable brand. 
How much of Syracuse's stuff actually has a big orange on it?  Very little.   They're just Syracuse.
Stanford is technically the cardinal, and their logo includes a tree.   They hardly ever refer to it or use it.
My soon to be wife went to Dartmouth, we have sweatshirts and crap all over my apartment and I still can't tell you what the Big Green are. 
A Johnnie could be a person who plays basketball for St Johns, and I'd be fine with that.   A player in a red jersey with a basketball - the end.

Eh, I can agree with you on most schools but Stanford is pretty well known for being a tree because of how unique it is. It was on a Sportscenter commercial maybe a year or 2 ago so it is even more well-known now. Cuse has a surprising amount of merchandise with Otto on it. Otto's head is the top part of winter hats, he is on shirts, he is on fitted hats, and I think he's pretty well-known too.

The Yankees don't have a mascot but it doesn't matter because they are the most successful pro franchise in pro sports history. The Knicks don't have one, but then again professional basketball doesn't seem to emphasize them in nearly the same way college does. Mascots are a big part of college sport culture. The key is to have one that is fairly unique and funny i.e. Western Kentucky's red blob. He got rated the best college mascot a few years ago on ESPN. I agree they aren't everything, but they certainly play a solid role at least for the college students and the brand identity. Otherwise they wouldn't waste thousands for the costume.

« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:57 PM »

Eh, I can agree with you on most schools but Stanford is pretty well known for being a tree because of how unique it is. It was on a Sportscenter commercial maybe a year or 2 ago so it is even more well-known now. Cuse has a surprising amount of merchandise with Otto on it. Otto's head is the top part of winter hats, he is on shirts, he is on fitted hats, and I think he's pretty well-known too.

The Yankees don't have a mascot but it doesn't matter because they are the most successful pro franchise in pro sports history. The Knicks don't have one, but then again professional basketball doesn't seem to emphasize them in nearly the same way college does. Mascots are a big part of college sport culture. The key is to have one that is fairly unique and funny i.e. Western Kentucky's red blob. He got rated the best college mascot a few years ago on ESPN. I agree they aren't everything, but they certainly play a solid role at least for the college students and the brand identity. Otherwise they wouldn't waste thousands for the costume.

Never knew the orange had a name. Otto? That dude from rocket power?