Under Armour

• 576 replies
Re: Under Armour
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
I think they give the guys new uniforms every year.

Think he was asking about design. And yes I think we will have different jerseys if we are in fact switching to under armour. I jus hope their not too crazy.

I didn't think I even needed the Smiley so to say I forgot it would be a lie.

Sorry yank, flew right over my head.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 07:12:53 PM »
Looking at the other schools that UA sponsors, we're definitely one of, if not the most high profile school they have. Should get a lot of promotion from them. Wonder if anyone else will be joining St. John's this offseason.

There's an article floating around that a bunch of schools ( I think 17) just dumped Adidas. Adidas is apparently not wanting to pay workers in Indonesia... 

desco80

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »
I would dump Adidas too.  Did you see how ugly those jerseys were that they made some teams wear at the end of the season?   Lousiville, Notre Dame, UCLA etc looked stupid. 

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »
Looking at the other schools that UA sponsors, we're definitely one of, if not the most high profile school they have. Should get a lot of promotion from them. Wonder if anyone else will be joining St. John's this offseason.

There's an article floating around that a bunch of schools ( I think 17) just dumped Adidas. Adidas is apparently not wanting to pay workers in Indonesia... 

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/3390/why-are-colleges-at-odds-with-adidas

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 10:15:15 PM »
Others were hinting that this has greater implications than simply switching from one uniform provider to another.  Anyone care to elaborate?

kob24

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »
St. John's gonna get alot of money for this switch.

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »

If you look at this old catalog from 2002, you can easily find a replica jersey along with prominent programs. today if go on this site you can't even buy the jersey. st. john's or now under armour must do a better job getting gear out to the public.

Moose

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
I understand the business side of this move. I get it. But from a HS kid perspective this sucks. Nike is King in basketball.  Our guys were proud of their Nikes and would consistently posts pictures of their Kobe Nike kicks. Hope UA markets the hell out of our apparel.

Look at what UA is doing on grassroots scene and HS scene. More and more schools. They have the top 3 PSAL schools. While not full of players they are getting UA in kids minds
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 10:43:52 PM »

If you look at this old catalog from 2002, you can easily find a replica jersey along with prominent programs. today if go on this site you can't even buy the jersey. st. john's or now under armour must do a better job getting gear out to the public.

Mr supply meet Mr demand

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 10:54:13 PM »
Kob- what impact will this have on recruits? Assuming if a pr savy lavin approved there must be some upside for attracting talent.

Moose

Moose

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 11:05:56 PM »
Kob- what impact will this have on recruits? Assuming if a pr savy lavin approved there must be some upside for attracting talent.

It will have no real impact positive or negative honestly

SJUFAN

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 11:13:10 PM »
Kids in HS haven't lived long enough to be loyal to a particular brand. Although UA is new to basketball, they have a powerfull presence in athletics through football which many kids play and/or are fans of. I don't believe it will have any negative impact on recruits. As long as they receive cool free stuff everything will be alright. Old vs. New....Microsoft vs. Apple

desco80

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 11:28:42 PM »
I used to get so pumped when the eastbay catalogue came.   They had stuff you couldn't find anywhere else.   It was like santas workshop for equipment and apparel

Tha Kid

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »
I used to get so pumped when the eastbay catalogue came.   They had stuff you couldn't find anywhere else.   It was like santas workshop for equipment and apparel

+1
"I drink and I know things"

kob24

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
Well here is the thing. I personally think it may have some impact. I think sneaker companies want the kids on their grass roots scene playing with a college of the same affiliation. It's all a game to get that one kid who is gonna be a pro. If u look at the Harrison twins. They was under armor all I'm high school and aau. And it came down down to a nike school in kentucky and a UA school Maryland. They chose kentucky. Noah Vonleh is a addidas kid and alot of nike colleges wanted him but he stood addidas and went to Indiana. Two people I really trust in this business said two different things . But the one thing they both did say is that if u are winning the kids will come period.

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »
Not true. I teach middle school in Brooklyn . Almost every kid has Jordan's or other Nike shoes. Definitely a Status thing. The only one who doesn't is their poor gym teach who is me.

Moose

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »
Well here is the thing. I personally think it may have some impact. I think sneaker companies want the kids on their grass roots scene playing with a college of the same affiliation. It's all a game to get that one kid who is gonna be a pro. If u look at the Harrison twins. They was under armor all I'm high school and aau. And it came down down to a nike school in kentucky and a UA school Maryland. They chose kentucky. Noah Vonleh is a addidas kid and alot of nike colleges wanted him but he stood addidas and went to Indiana. Two people I really trust in this business said two different things . But the one thing they both did say is that if u are winning the kids will come period.

Your right about a few things.  But bottom line was Nike was not helping us much.  We were just there.  An afterthought.  In terms of bball schools there is Maryland which will get a lot of UA attention but then arguably you can say STJ.  There is a very high ranking person at UA who is STJ grad as well.