Under Armour

• 576 replies

Moose

Re: Under Armour
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2013, 07:53:11 PM »
Can we try to keep this on St. John's and UA and not turn this into a Joe/yankcranker tit for tat?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »
Heh, heh.  Moose said tit. 

But seriously, it was pretty cordial all things considered.  We even agreed at the end.  On a subject that wasn't really the point of the debate but we did agree.

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
Yes we still agreed on a few things  :laugh:. I'm just glad we are in the hands of a company with fresh ideas and happy to have us. Plus we get more money correct? I would think another logo turns up soon, but haven't heard anything official.

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
Was at the bookstore today...make sure you guys get your favorite Nike shirt now before they clean house. There really are only 1 or 2 nice ones anyway. Also saw more UA gear than usual...the shirt I saw was ugly with no official SJ logo or anything, just a generic font. Also, does anyone else know why Champion, Alta Gracia, and UA are allowed to make some of our gear while we are under Nike?

Moose

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2013, 03:35:53 PM »
Was at the bookstore today...make sure you guys get your favorite Nike shirt now before they clean house. There really are only 1 or 2 nice ones anyway. Also saw more UA gear than usual...the shirt I saw was ugly with no official SJ logo or anything, just a generic font. Also, does anyone else know why Champion, Alta Gracia, and UA are allowed to make some of our gear while we are under Nike?

Because the deal was not exclusive.  Most deals arent.  Different price points and retail penetration.

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »

Because the deal was not exclusive.  Most deals arent.  Different price points and retail penetration.

So isn't that big news for those who hate this move? Doesn't it mean Nike will still put a shirt or 2 out even with our UA contract?

Moose

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »

So isn't that big news for those who hate this move? Doesn't it mean Nike will still put a shirt or 2 out even with our UA contract?

UA is outfitting our teams.  In terms of retail sales I don't know how the UA deal was structured.  You saw UA shirts because they have been trying for our business for some time.  But like you said they are just generic logo slap items with minimal thought put into them.  You will definitely see lesser names like you mentioned.  As for Nike I don't know.

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
coach already embracing UA. take a look!  LOL

Moose

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »
UA
Kevin Plank
Todd Pletcher and Mike Repole

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2013, 06:17:58 PM »
UA
Kevin Plank

What connection does Repole have to UA?

Moose

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
UA
Kevin Plank

He's friendly with Plank.  Regardless of their little business spat recently.  Pletcher trains horses for both Plank and Repole.

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »
UA
Kevin Plank

He's friendly with Plank.  Regardless of their little business spat recently.  Pletcher trains horses for both Plank and Repole.

thanks. did some digging after your post and found the Repole has a new drink called "Body Armor."  Hmmmm....

http://www.drinkbodyarmor.com/

Moose

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
UA
Kevin Plank

thanks. did some digging after your post and found the Repole has a new drink called "Body Armor."  Hmmmm....

http://www.drinkbodyarmor.com/

Actually that is the spat I'm referring to.  There was a lawsuit regarding the name.  But its strictly business.  Personally there is a good connection.

*Pletcher has attended a number of STJ games by the way
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:28:19 PM by Moose »

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
Well Lavin, that was fast LOL. Jeez.

« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »
Question for those in the know

Did the Nike contract end this season?  Or are they handling the team's apparel for next season and UA is taking over the following year?

Moose

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
Question for those in the know

Did the Nike contract end this season?  Or are they handling the team's apparel for next season and UA is taking over the following year?

Its happening now

desco80

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
I don't know if you guys saw this on RM, but I figured it's worth cross-posting.   Credit to Firestorm for posting it..

Well, this item on Paul Lukas's uni-watch.com is interesting:

"A little birdie tells me that St. John’s may (a) switch from Nike to Under Armour, (b) bring back blue, (c) go back to “SJU” instead of “STJ,” and (d) swap “Johnny Thunderbird” for a cartoon caricature of Lou Carnesecca with an “LC” on the chest."

Moose

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »
I don't know if you guys saw this on RM, but I figured it's worth cross-posting.   Credit to Firestorm for posting it..

"A little birdie tells me that St. John’s may (a) switch from Nike to Under Armour, (b) bring back blue, (c) go back to “SJU” instead of “STJ,” and (d) swap “Johnny Thunderbird” for a cartoon caricature of Lou Carnesecca with an “LC” on the chest."

And as I posted over there.
The 2nd part of D is phony but the rest is legit.

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2013, 02:41:33 PM »

i'm sorry, but what is "bring back blue"?

Moose

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »

i'm sorry, but what is "bring back blue"?

We used to have blue in uniforms.  I heard its very subtle.  Nothing substantial.