Dante Restaurant - Closed

• 13 replies
Dante Restaurant - Closed
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
If things couldn't get any worse for SJU hoops, it appears that Dante Restaurant has closed their doors for good.

The restaurant was closed around 8/1, but I thought it was only temporary. But signs recently went up for space for lease. Sad day.

Re: Dante Restaurant - Closed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 03:20:44 PM »
A shame because it was the only good food in the area.  The fresh meadows/jamaica area is not a culinary hot bed (just my opinion) unless you like things like kosher pizza and filthy asian restaurant.

The family that owned it were even nicer people.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
This is just a shame.  Gantry's and now Dante's.  Is the Fox still there? 
Acquista Trattoria is a great lunch place, but only about ten years old. 

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 10:42:45 PM »
anybody know if there's any truth to the rumor that the Sly Fox is going out of business?

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:17:58 PM »
anybody know if there's any truth to the rumor that the Sly Fox is going out of business?

I hope not.  Man, that would suck. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:46:47 PM »

Good call on Acquista.  Sabbatino's was good right when it opened but heard it has disappointed since first few years.  Anyone been there recently?  Loved their buffalo chicken pizza...
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »

Good call on Acquista.  Sabbatino's was good right when it opened but heard it has disappointed since first few years.  Anyone been there recently?  Loved their buffalo chicken pizza...

It went out of business a while ago.

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »

It went out of business a while ago.

Damn what's around there anymore?  I liked Kyoto for sushi - that still there?  On the same side of Union as Fame used to be, just a little closer to Forest Hills.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »
The area is losing its character quickly.  What a shame.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 05:03:52 PM »
The people who owned Fame Diner and moved it down Union as the Corner Stone Diner is now closed as well. I wonder if they moved or just shut down.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 11:39:26 AM »
Sorry that Dante's closed. I know Louie loved that place. When it comes to good food, grandmothers are a safe bet. Rossella Rago (St. John's 2009) has a book  "Cooking with Nonna" which lists recipes by grandmothers. After trying a few recipes, I must recommend this book.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 01:26:45 PM »
Do you see any spots ie, diners or nicer restaurants ever coming back near campus? All that is there is Asian spot that replaced Sly Fox and Acquistas which is good. Why do you think they all left the area?

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 01:14:23 PM »
Do you see any spots ie, diners or nicer restaurants ever coming back near campus? All that is there is Asian spot that replaced Sly Fox and Acquistas which is good. Why do you think they all left the area?

Acquista Trattoria is still there and it even expanded--at least it was there when I was there in August.  The rents were raised with the dorms and it made it hard to stay in business. It's a shame because it takes away so much character from the area.  I loved going into Dante's and seeing Louie there chowing down. 

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 02:49:17 PM »

Acquista Trattoria is still there and it even expanded--at least it was there when I was there in August.  The rents were raised with the dorms and it made it hard to stay in business. It's a shame because it takes away so much character from the area.  I loved going into Dante's and seeing Louie there chowing down.

I agree 100 percent, Acquistas is good. Spent alot of time there during the college and law school days at St John's. The dorm thing would definitely explain it then, what a shame. I liked Dantes alot too, such good food- sad to have seen it be gone so abruptly with its tradition. I will say this- if the character from the area was improved it could have been a benefit to us with recruiting too.