JaKarr Sampson Signs with 76ers

• 139 replies

Poison

Re: JaKarr Sampson Signs with 76ers
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »
If Thomas is qualified to play academically, he is the local lunch pail guy that we're missing. But he didn't make it. That makes 3 ineligible locals in 3 seasons. That sucks.

desco80

« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »
If Thomas is qualified to play academically, he is the local lunch pail guy that we're missing. But he didn't make it. That makes 3 ineligible locals in 3 seasons. That sucks.

I hear what you're saying, but I've gotta disagree.
This myth has been pushed for awhile, that we're missing a lunch pail guy.     Did you watch the game last night?  We're missing another scorer.
Yes, we've gotten out-rebounded (and Sampson would help with that too), but we lose when we can't score.   Not because we don't have a forward doing the dirty work.

I'm not saying we couldn't use a lunch-pale forward.  We could.   But we're really missing an athletic, scoring and rebounding PF.    Aka Sampson.   

Poison

« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:25 PM »

This myth has been pushed for awhile, that we're missing a lunch pail guy.     Did you watch the game last night?  We're missing another scorer.
Yes, we've gotten out-rebounded (and Sampson would help with that too), but we lose when we can't score.   Not because we don't have a forward doing the dirty work.

I'm not saying we couldn't use a lunch-pale forward.  We could.   But we're really missing an athletic, scoring and rebounding PF.    Aka Sampson.   

At this point we have to hope that Amar can quickly turn into that guy and break out with an above average contribution off the bench.

desco80

« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »

At this point we have to hope that Amar can quickly turn into that guy and break out with an above average contribution off the bench.

Absolutely.  and he's showing some signs of life.

The question you have to ask yourself though, is wtf happened to Christian Jones?   

SJUFAN

« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2015, 07:47:32 PM »

The question you have to ask yourself though, is wtf happened to Christian Jones?   

Think Jones maybe a transfer candidate. If the staff is going to start a 6'3' guard/forward at the center spot over you at this stage in his career it isn't a good sign for him going forward.

Poison

« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2015, 07:48:32 PM »

It would be great if he would ask himself that question.

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2015, 08:52:44 PM »
NY Post had an article on Orlando Sanchez. He is averaging 9 pts and 6.7 rebs and in the D League Showcase he lead with 27 and 12. Says Knicks have plans for him to be on roster next season however a western conf playoff team is interested in signing him. Yup, Karr and Sanchez, addition by subtraction.

Whitehead may be in the league soon as well, but SH would be better off if he never suited up.  They were on fire when he was hurt and suck since he's been back.  4-4 in conference with an OT loss to Butler and a four point loss to Depaul (wins over SJU and Nova).  They are 1-5 in conference since he's been back.  He's a talent, but chemistry is more important that any one talent.

Jermaine Lawrence might be the most talented player in the MAAC, but Manhattan is only 13-12 with him after winning 25 games without him last season. 

Lawrence is soft and one of the most overrated players to come out of NY in years. A non factor in the Maac

I'm just not into this new age face-up four crap.  Not many guys can pull it off.  Hakim Warrick comes to mind.  More often than not it seems like those guys disregard what PFs have to do first before they can do the other "fun stuff"...like boxing out, setting screens, playing hard D, making it easier for the guards, etc.   Ty Grant didn't have 1/10th of the natural ability of Sampson, but I'd take Ty over Sampson all day long. 

Speaking of four's, when was the last time we saw a St. John's power forward sprint the wing and hit a three of the catch and sprint the floor and finish a dunk, in the same game. I know you have been on him since the get go marillac but damn I am thrilled with the play and potential that Amar has show. . I can't believe people think he's slow. I think he is an above average athlete and very big and long for a PF.  Good skills and nice motor, just needs experience.

Just think, we'll get more out of Amar than cuse will from McCullough. Wonder what vegas had for those odds.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2015, 12:56:59 AM »

It would be great if he would ask himself that question.

He had two minutes of garbage time at GTown and a ball hits him right in the hands off a missed shot and he's not even paying attention so the ball ricochets to an opposing player. 

Marillac

« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2015, 04:24:43 AM »
NY Post had an article on Orlando Sanchez. He is averaging 9 pts and 6.7 rebs and in the D League Showcase he lead with 27 and 12. Says Knicks have plans for him to be on roster next season however a western conf playoff team is interested in signing him. Yup, Karr and Sanchez, addition by subtraction.

Whitehead may be in the league soon as well, but SH would be better off if he never suited up.  They were on fire when he was hurt and suck since he's been back.  4-4 in conference with an OT loss to Butler and a four point loss to Depaul (wins over SJU and Nova).  They are 1-5 in conference since he's been back.  He's a talent, but chemistry is more important that any one talent.

Jermaine Lawrence might be the most talented player in the MAAC, but Manhattan is only 13-12 with him after winning 25 games without him last season. 

Lawrence is soft and one of the most overrated players to come out of NY in years. A non factor in the Maac

I'm just not into this new age face-up four crap.  Not many guys can pull it off.  Hakim Warrick comes to mind.  More often than not it seems like those guys disregard what PFs have to do first before they can do the other "fun stuff"...like boxing out, setting screens, playing hard D, making it easier for the guards, etc.   Ty Grant didn't have 1/10th of the natural ability of Sampson, but I'd take Ty over Sampson all day long. 

Speaking of four's, when was the last time we saw a St. John's power forward sprint the wing and hit a three of the catch and sprint the floor and finish a dunk, in the same game. I know you have been on him since the get go marillac but damn I am thrilled with the play and potential that Amar has show. . I can't believe people think he's slow. I think he is an above average athlete and very big and long for a PF.  Good skills and nice motor, just needs experience.

Just think, we'll get more out of Amar than cuse will from McCullough. Wonder what vegas had for those odds.

To be fair, I didn't like Amar when his signing was first announced.  The only film I could find on him was Jordan blowing by him reaching on D during the Europe trip.  You know how I hate bigs on the perimeter and Sanchez and Sampson did a number on me.  Hearing about another big with "perimeter skills" was the last thing I wanted.

It wasn't until seeing him play in the exhibition game prior to the start of the season that I realized how enormous he was, how he didn't live on the perimeter, and that he loved to screen, box out, and played very physical with an edgy competitiveness.  He has the makings of a very good pick-and-pop and pick-and-roll guy. 

I don't think he is a poor athlete...the kid didn't have any time to prepare for high major US college ball and the American game.  It's a big jump from American high schools to high D-1 ball...imagine the jump he made.  He could really improve next season now that he understand just how fast the game is and where he has to get himself to be a big contributor.

It's crazy, but I'd take him over both Sampson and McCullough regardless of the talent disparity (knowing he's likely a four-year player).

Moose

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »

Think Jones maybe a transfer candidate. If the staff is going to start a 6'3' guard/forward at the center spot over you at this stage in his career it isn't a good sign for him going forward.

That's the safest bet in the world I think.  Unless a new coach saves him
Remember who broke the Slice news

jr49

« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »

With Sampson we could be last years team.  I'll still go for the lunch pail named DuJuan Blair, or whatever the coach asks for Anthony Glover. Neither the high flier big time athlete Sampson is, with his dribbling into traffic, or giving it up as the shot clock expires. Sampson was raw and continuously showed it. Harkless played the 4 as a freshman skinny kid and rode it, being the 15 pick in the draft.   

Foad

« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »
I'll still go for the lunch pail named DuJuan Blair,

Dejaun Blair was BE player of the year,a consensus All American and but for Blake Griffin  NCAA POTY. So pretty much everyone would go for him, including nice persons like you. Lunch pail, good grief, have a brain scan or something, you're in danger of wandering off into the woods never to be seen again.

TONYD3

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »
Internet tough guy the FOAD ! Great post!

LoganK

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2015, 08:13:38 AM »
Dejuan Blair was a lunchpail player IMO.  He was just really really good at it (in college).  12pts/9rbs/53% shooting his first year, 15.7pts/12.3 rbs/59% shooting his second year.  Just because you're a really good player, doesn't mean your style isn't that of a bruiser (or, lunchpail player).  At 6'7" he banged inside against anyone, no matter how big they were.  To me, that says lunch pail.
Sampson was not.  Glover was. Whatever you wanna call them, I'd take any or all of those three players on this or just about any college team.....can you imagine Glover and Blair together?  That would be fun.

pmg911

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »

It's crazy, but I'd take him over both Sampson and McCullough regardless of the talent disparity (knowing he's likely a four-year player).

McCullough will be a Lottery pick when he goes to the league

paultzman

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »

McCullough will be a Lottery pick when he goes to the league
Agree fully.

jr49

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2015, 03:47:14 PM »

Dejaun Blair was BE player of the year,a consensus All American and but for Blake Griffin  NCAA POTY. So pretty much everyone would go for him, including nice persons like you. Lunch pail, good grief, have a brain scan or something, you're in danger of wandering off into the woods never to be seen again.
We have a differing idea on the meaning and value of the lunch pail. You could have scolded me without being so nasty.

Foad

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »

We have a differing idea on the meaning and value of the lunch pail. You could have scolded me without being so nasty.

Sorry if you were offended. Sometimes I forget myself and my point gets lost. Which point was: Jakarr Sampson was a pretty good basketball player, for a sophomore. Comparing him to an All American - one who was slightly less appreciated than NBA all star Blake Griffin, one who received as many votes for player of the year as Tyler Hanbrough - is silly. Blaming him for last year is absurd. Everyone would have preferred having an All American on the roster last year rather than Sampson. It's a silly comparison.

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2015, 12:36:42 AM »
WTF is Jakarr done with his hair. Went from this:

to

derk

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
Dejuan Blair was a lunchpail player IMO.  He was just really really good at it (in college).  12pts/9rbs/53% shooting his first year, 15.7pts/12.3 rbs/59% shooting his second year.  Just because you're a really good player, doesn't mean your style isn't that of a bruiser (or, lunchpail player).  At 6'7" he banged inside against anyone, no matter how big they were.  To me, that says lunch pail.
Sampson was not.  Glover was. Whatever you wanna call them, I'd take any or all of those three players on this or just about any college team.....can you imagine Glover and Blair together?  That would be fun.

Remember when he lifted the Pukon center Thybeet (spelling) off his feet and slammed him to the floor.