Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
In The Jungle... / Re: New St. John's Basketball Facility
« Last post by Foad on March 05, 2024, 04:35:21 PM »
Per Zach- St. John's will construct a new practice facility in 2027. Talks are also underway to upgrade Carnesecca Arena.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/04/sports/st-johns-set-to-add-new-basketball-practice-facility-by-2027/

"Following a feasibility study conducted by the athletic department over the last few years ... The hope is it will all be finalized by the spring of 2027"

2020-2027: because they care about you.
In The Jungle... / New St. John's Basketball Facility
« Last post by friendofjohnnie on March 05, 2024, 09:26:43 AM »
Per Zach- St. John's will construct a new practice facility in 2027. Talks are also underway to upgrade Carnesecca Arena.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/04/sports/st-johns-set-to-add-new-basketball-practice-facility-by-2027/
In The Jungle... / Re: Big East Game 1- Xavier
« Last post by friendofjohnnie on February 29, 2024, 09:16:47 AM »
Nice win against Butler tonight to keep hope alive for a tourney birth.

Nice win, good to beat Posh too. I think if we win next 2 and win 2 in Big East to be safe we are in NCAAs.  If we win out regular season and win 1 Big East not so sure but either way we did punch a ticket to at least the NIT barring some crazy collapse. Post-season basketball for the first time since Coach Mullin tenure will be appreciated and only help make the young players better.

We cannot have any letdowns against Georgetown or DePaul. Have to win both. We tend to play Georgetown better at Home so I am hoping this win would be more convincing.
« Last post by Celtics11 on February 28, 2024, 10:57:05 PM »
Nice win against Butler tonight to keep hope alive for a tourney birth.
« Last post by Foad on February 23, 2024, 04:18:20 PM »
This is why you are legend!

I prefer "national treasure."
« Last post by Foad on February 23, 2024, 04:17:46 PM »
First- your assuming DePaul is a legit college basketball team. How could I mention that awful team/sister school of ours.

It's called irony, google it.

Second, I never heard of or knew anything about those games. Good recap and learning experience- sadly a tortured history much like my Mets and Jets.

Hence the history lesson. The Jets won the Super Bowl. The Mets have won a couple of World Series. That they haven't in your short life doesn't make them bums. Whereas St John's is an antediluvian also ran turned laughing stock. It's not one thing or another: it's not that they hired this guy rather than that guy or this guy went here rather than somewhere else (except Alcindor and maybe Gary Payton and Darius Miles and Lenny Cooke - an actual tragedy of whom you've never heard). I wouldn't go so far as to say that SJU is cursed, but it's clearly not blessed. Which having been said, let us pray:

Dear Lord
friendofjohnie has been a Saint John's fan
for nearly ten years and has never
been treated to a national championship
Let us pray that we sweep De Paul
Amen

« Last post by friendofjohnnie on February 23, 2024, 01:47:25 PM »
Surprised to mention you failed to mention our heroic sweep of DePaul.

I give you a pass because you're young and dumb idealistic, but in that regard I quote myself regarding the futility of being a SJ fan, because what follows is pretty pretty pretty good:

Speaking of bad losses, there was a fan board exchange this week wherein a poster noted that he was bringing his kid to his first Saint John’s game, to which I replied (presciently it turned out): “May I be the first to welcome your son to a lifetime of disappointment.” Which in turn set me to thinking about my own wretched youth and all the angst that Saint John’s has caused me through the years. I’ve been considering lately as I commence the slow slide into the grave how my life might have been different if e.g. I’d rooted for the Yankees and Cowboys and Celtics rather than Saint John’s and the Detroit Lions and the Republican Party. Consider the effect of these NCAA tournament results on the young psyche, and remember, these were Lou’s good teams.

March 14, 1982, at Nassau Coliseum: Alabama – who a year earlier beat SJU in the NIT at Carnesecca Arena Alumni Hall – beat SJU 69-68 in a game in which Alabama shot 37 free throws, scoring 40 percent of their points from the line. Saint John’s starting five had 21 fouls between them and Mullin fouled out, which how is that even possible, he never covered anybody. Kevin Williams scored five points in nine minutes compared to Bobby Kelly’s two in 37 and Jeff Allen scored 10 points on 5-5 from the floor, versus zero points from Wennington in 20 minutes.

In 1983 Lou lost to Vern Fleming’s Georgia in the first round, 70-67. Kevin Williams had 12 pts in 20 minutes vs zero for Bobby Kelly.

March 15, 1984: Saint John’s lost to Temple in the first round when Terrance Stanbury buried a 40 foot jump shot after Mullin missed the front end of a one and one. Team featured twin point guards (Moses and Jackson) and towers (Allen and Wennington).

1985, loss to Georgetown, understandable, although I would have pounded the ball into Berry.

1986, loss to Auburn, Saint John’s has no answer for Chuck Pearson.

March 15, 1987: Saint John’s lost to DePaul when Dallas Comegys committed a lane violation after trying to brick a FT off the back rim at the end of regulation, except the lane violation wasn’t called and NYC native Rod Strickland hit a buzzer beater off the rebound to send the game to OT, where in a stunning turn of events Saint John’s lost.

In 1988, a first round lost to the Vern Maxwell/Dwayne Schintzius version of Florida, 62-59. Florida shot 17 free throws to SJ’s 8. Mercifully I have no independent recollection of this game.

In 1989 Lou won the NIT, woo hoo, which NIT banner proudly adorns the walls of Carnesecca Arena Alumni Hall to this day. Although the team featured freshman Malik Sealy, this era commenced what knowledgeable fans such as myself refer to as the Muto years.

March 18, 1990. Lou lost to eventual national champion Duke 76-72. The game turned late in the second half when near-cripple Billy Singleton cleanly stole the ball at half court but was called for a foul and then a double technical when he bounced the ball in frustration. SJ was up six when the foul was called and the game was even when play resumed. SJU never recovered. The repulsive Christian Laettner – other than Bill Walton the greatest white college basketball player I ever saw, better even than Mullin – was 0 for 7 from the field and had six points. In a stunning turn Duke was awarded 32 free throws, to 15 for Saint John’s.

In 1991 Lou beat #1 Ohio State but lost again to DewK in the regionals. DooK shot 28 FTs to SJ’s 6.

In 1992 Sean Muto and Malik Sealy’s senior year, SJ lost to Tulane, in the game that convinced Lou to hang up his sweater.

Now, that might not rise to the heights of despair suffered by fans of say the Buffalo Bills or Minnesota Vikings, but only because Saint John’s never reached as many championship games as those guys. Our hopes were always dashed much earlier. So to that guy, whoever he was, consider buying your kid some cute Duke rompers this Christmas, and maybe some Patriots sheets to lay his head on at night. And to the kid, good luck, you’re going to need it.

First- your assuming DePaul is a legit college basketball team. How could I mention that awful team/sister school of ours.

Second, I never heard of or knew anything about those games. Good recap and learning experience- sadly a tortured history much like my Mets and Jets. But at least during those seasons and even into the 80s and 90s they had teams that would be up for rankings and nationally appreciated. The steep downfall after that is unfortunate. I think any "GOLD" alum (graduate of last 10 years as school coins it) would have appreciated being even a consistent tournament team in recent memory. We aren't even that. Thus- when a Lavin/Pitino is hired it generates alot of buzz with us. Mullin and Anderson were awful hires. Never was on board with them.

With that being said- Rick is right about the facilities and even at a minimum make a basketball hall of fame tribute. The program does not appreciate its older tradition enough when it was a contender. 
« Last post by Johnny Rotten on February 22, 2024, 09:40:08 PM »

I give you a pass because you're young and dumb idealistic, but in that regard I quote myself regarding the futility of being a SJ fan, because what follows is pretty pretty pretty good:

Speaking of bad losses, there was a fan board exchange this week wherein a poster noted that he was bringing his kid to his first Saint John’s game, to which I replied (presciently it turned out): “May I be the first to welcome your son to a lifetime of disappointment.” Which in turn set me to thinking about my own wretched youth and all the angst that Saint John’s has caused me through the years. I’ve been considering lately as I commence the slow slide into the grave how my life might have been different if e.g. I’d rooted for the Yankees and Cowboys and Celtics rather than Saint John’s and the Detroit Lions and the Republican Party. Consider the effect of these NCAA tournament results on the young psyche, and remember, these were Lou’s good teams.

March 14, 1982, at Nassau Coliseum: Alabama – who a year earlier beat SJU in the NIT at Carnesecca Arena Alumni Hall – beat SJU 69-68 in a game in which Alabama shot 37 free throws, scoring 40 percent of their points from the line. Saint John’s starting five had 21 fouls between them and Mullin fouled out, which how is that even possible, he never covered anybody. Kevin Williams scored five points in nine minutes compared to Bobby Kelly’s two in 37 and Jeff Allen scored 10 points on 5-5 from the floor, versus zero points from Wennington in 20 minutes.

In 1983 Lou lost to Vern Fleming’s Georgia in the first round, 70-67. Kevin Williams had 12 pts in 20 minutes vs zero for Bobby Kelly.

March 15, 1984: Saint John’s lost to Temple in the first round when Terrance Stanbury buried a 40 foot jump shot after Mullin missed the front end of a one and one. Team featured twin point guards (Moses and Jackson) and towers (Allen and Wennington).

1985, loss to Georgetown, understandable, although I would have pounded the ball into Berry.

March 15, 1987: Saint John’s lost to DePaul when Dallas Comegys committed a lane violation after trying to brick a FT off the back rim at the end of regulation, except the lane violation wasn’t called and NYC native Rod Strickland hit a buzzer beater off the rebound to send the game to OT, where in a stunning turn of events Saint John’s lost.

In 1988, a first round lost to the Vern Maxwell/Dwayne Schintzius version of Florida, 62-59. Florida shot 17 free throws to SJ’s 8. Mercifully I have no independent recollection of this game.

In 1989 Lou won the NIT, woo hoo, which NIT banner proudly adorns the walls of Carnesecca Arena Alumni Hall to this day. Although the team featured freshman Malik Sealy, this era commenced what knowledgeable fans such as myself refer to as the Muto years.

March 18, 1990. Lou lost to eventual national champion Duke 76-72. The game turned late in the second half when near-cripple Billy Singleton cleanly stole the ball at half court but was called for a foul and then a double technical when he bounced the ball in frustration. SJ was up six when the foul was called and the game was even when play resumed. SJU never recovered. The repulsive Christian Laettner – other than Bill Walton the greatest white college basketball player I ever saw, better even than Mullin – was 0 for 7 from the field and had six points. In a stunning turn Duke was awarded 32 free throws, to 15 for Saint John’s.

In 1991 Lou beat #1 Ohio State but lost again to DewK in the regionals. DooK shot 28 FTs to SJ’s 6.

In 1992 Sean Muto and Malik Sealy’s senior year, SJ lost to Tulane, in the game that convinced Lou to hang up his sweater.

Now, that might not rise to the heights of despair suffered by fans of say the Buffalo Bills or Minnesota Vikings, but only because Saint John’s never reached as many championship games as those guys. Our hopes were always dashed much earlier. So to that guy, whoever he was, consider buying your kid some cute Duke rompers this Christmas, and maybe some Patriots sheets to lay his head on at night. And to the kid, good luck, you’re going to need it.

My sweet Lord!
I relived over 20 years of those nightmare endings!
This is why you are legend!
« Last post by Foad on February 22, 2024, 04:04:01 PM »
having already taken 1 from Georgetown already makes this a nice season

« Last post by Foad on February 22, 2024, 03:55:01 PM »
I bet you had an erection

Erections are for suckers.

I watched the first half with the long-suffering missus and then retired: SJ sucks but GT is even worse, that much was obvious, so I saw that there would be no joy in Funville. And for the record I don't have truck with Makers Mark, which is a drink for peasants such as yourself. Lately I've been devouring various varieties of Four Roses small batch, which small batches have been a revelation.

Other than that you made your usual salient points.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10