Jordan Brown, PF, Roseville, CA

• 243 replies
Re: Jordan Brown, PF, Roseville, CA
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2017, 04:29:07 PM »
Best shot for a big is Josh Roberts it seems.

Looking like this supposed super '18 class isn't gonna be so super after all

Who could have seen that coming?

NYCoffey

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2017, 06:58:33 PM »
You guys are totally right. Why don't you find a team to root for until we're in the tournament again. You'll be happy and we won't have to listen to your  bull shit.
Maybe a non elite team like Gonzaga. They would be perfect. You can tell everyone how you accepted there recruiting process and that's why they are succesful

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2017, 07:10:29 PM »
You guys are totally right. Why don't you find a team to root for until we're in the tournament again. You'll be happy and we won't have to listen to your  bull shit.
Maybe a non elite team like Gonzaga. They would be perfect. You can tell everyone how you accepted there recruiting process and that's why they are succesful

Do you mean accept that St Johns is a mid major?

goredmen

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »

The frustration comes from the fact that for the last few years we were looking at the 2018 class as being our big one. At various points in time we were mentioned to be seriously in the mix for program changing players like Bol Bol, Naz Reid, and Nas Little. We were also supposedly in the thick of it with other program changing players like Moses Brown, Jordan Brown, and Luguentz Dort.

Obviously we would not have landed more than 1 or 2 of those guys but now it's looking almost certain we will get 0 of them and the class will end up being just Luther M (who we are not a lock to get and is a good player but not a program changing one by any stretch) and Josh Roberts who probably won't be a real contributor until his junior season, and is also not a lock to come here.

Of course we will be in the mix with transfers and grad transfers but those are tough to count on because A) you're not sure who will transfer until March and B) all non-grad transfers can't contribute until their 2nd year on campus.

Add all of this to fact that it is appearing more unlikely that we won't be hiring Mike Rice and this spring and summer has gone pretty poorly since the day after Sid Wilson committed.

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »
This is why I'd rather see us spend disproportionate effort on "mid-high" 3 star and "low" 4-stars to possibly increase our odds of not getting pushed aside by the top schools in the end.  Then, use the transfer route to pick up non-satisfied guys

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »
We don't need a monster 18 class. Ponds Simon Wilson Lovett Clark Yakwe Owens are certifiable high major talents and we have Keita and Dixon on layaway. I'm sure we will pick up 1-2 4* guys either out of high school or by way of transfer.  The roster is talented and balanced.  For the first time ever I'm not worried about recruiting.  We need to perform on the court to take the next step.

goredmen

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2017, 08:11:53 PM »
This is why I'd rather see us spend disproportionate effort on "mid-high" 3 star and "low" 4-stars to possibly increase our odds of not getting pushed aside by the top schools in the end.  Then, use the transfer route to pick up non-satisfied guys

That's basically what this 18 class is going to end up being if it ends up as Diakite, Luther and Roberts

Foad

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 08:20:22 PM »
summer has gone pretty poorly since the day after Sid Wilson committed.

Good point, we haven't had a four star recruit commit since the end of May and its almost September.

goredmen

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2017, 08:30:31 PM »
summer has gone pretty poorly since the day after Sid Wilson committed.

Good point, we haven't had a four star recruit commit since the end of May and its almost September.

The point is that we were in the mix with five or six 5 star or high 4 star players in the 18 class and we are either completely out of it or extreme long shots now. And one of our primary needs this offseason was to pick up an experienced college coach that could help with Xs and Os as well as recruiting. it looked like we had that guy in Mike Rice but that appears to not be happening anymore

NYCoffey

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »

I would of said Iona if I meant low major. We are aspiring to high major. After all "we are St John's" who's crap is Ionas feast.

Do you mean accept that St Johns is a mid major?

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
Aspiring. Lol. Hahha. lmFAO

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2017, 09:52:16 PM »
Jordan's father breaks down all 7 finalists.  Not visits set yet, probably won't sign until Spring:

St. John's: “They've been there. They have Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond, who in this area are a big deal, and they come 3,000 miles away to see him. Others have done the same but haven't traveled 3,000 miles to do it. They let me know daily how interested they are. They know how good Jordan is going to be.”

At this point, no visits have been set up.

“Nothing yet,” said Dion. “We talk to people and we'll do visits with not the whole seven but some of them. Nothing has been set up because we've been focused on high school and kind of pushed college back for a minute.”

The most likely decision date for Brown won’t come until the spring signing period.

“The one thing I want to do is watch the schools play,” said Dion. “Sometimes it can benefit to wait. It won't be a super early thing because we're still looking at everybody.
“I would say the earliest would be early December but I'm thinking early spring. We want to watch everybody in numerous games.”

http://www.scout.com/Article/Breaking-down-five-star-2018-Prolific-Prep-PF-Jordan-Browns-fina-106479491

Johnny23

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »
Jordan's father breaks down all 7 finalists.  Not visits set yet, probably won't sign until Spring:

St. John's: “They've been there. They have Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond, who in this area are a big deal, and they come 3,000 miles away to see him. Others have done the same but haven't traveled 3,000 miles to do it. They let me know daily how interested they are. They know how good Jordan is going to be.”

At this point, no visits have been set up.

“Nothing yet,” said Dion. “We talk to people and we'll do visits with not the whole seven but some of them. Nothing has been set up because we've been focused on high school and kind of pushed college back for a minute.”

The most likely decision date for Brown won’t come until the spring signing period.

The one thing I want to do is watch the schools play,” said Dion. “Sometimes it can benefit to wait. It won't be a super early thing because we're still looking at everybody.
“I would say the earliest would be early December but I'm thinking early spring. We want to watch everybody in numerous games.”

http://www.scout.com/Article/Breaking-down-five-star-2018-Prolific-Prep-PF-Jordan-Browns-fina-106479491

Significant on court improvement will be paramount if we want any chance with this caliber of recruit.

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »
Not a Lavar Ball, and nice to see a dad looking out for kid, but reading this guy's quotes, you'd think he is being recruited vs. son and living vicariously through him.

all the quotes in article are "I" or "We"

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2017, 11:47:26 PM »

Oh shut up.

My only point was people were hyping up this 2018 class as if we were actually in the thick of it with Nas Little, Moses Brown, Naz Reid, and Luther Muhammad. There is now a good chance we miss out on ALL of them. I was pointing out that as a decade long follower of the program, that was very predictable to me.

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2017, 12:53:43 AM »
We don't need a monster 18 class. Ponds Simon Wilson Lovett Clark Yakwe Owens are certifiable high major talents and we have Keita and Dixon on layaway. I'm sure we will pick up 1-2 4* guys either out of high school or by way of transfer.  The roster is talented and balanced.  For the first time ever I'm not worried about recruiting.  We need to perform on the court to take the next step.

We may not need a monster class, but we need a plan if one or both of Ponds and LoVett departs.  I don't mind picking up a couple of sit-out tranfers here and there, but I hope that doesn't become our 'go-to-way' of recruiting, once we've struck out on our targets.

I will say, we have an entire season to play and we could find ourselves in a position to land a player or more in the recruiting game, in case they renege based on a coach departing from the school where they've given their pledge.  But, currently our '18 class has the look of being quite marginal.  Once again, we have time to change that particular outlook.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »
Final 7: SJU, Gonzaga, UCLA, Oregon, Cal, Nevada, Louisiana-Lafeyette

https://twitter.com/JIBrown21/status/903026422465282049

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »

Completely agree with you here, RedStormNC.  I'm all for staying involved with Jordan Brown at this point, but let's be honest.  He's not coming to St. John's.  How many times have we seen this story play out?

Unless the on court product changes, 5 star recruits aren't coming to SJU.  I don't care how much the parents may like Mullin or Richmond or Matt A or GSJ.  When (a) your facilities are below average (b) you don't have a national brand (c) and you don't make postseason play or graduate kids to the pros, none of these kids are going to take a chance on you.  You have to target the "good but not great" HS talents and be really aggressive in the transfer game and hope that combination will bring some level of consistency to your program.  And, most importantly, you have to be able to coach those kids up and get the max out of them, so that yes maybe a couple of them do go on and play pro basketball.  Until that time comes, I really do think it's a waste of time speculating that these kids are coming here.

ras

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2017, 08:17:25 PM »
I've argued on Redmen.com that going af ter the  5 stars at this point in time is pie in the sky. I also agree a lot of time and money has been wasted.  I think he 4 star player and 3 star w high ceiling  , like Roberts is who we should be targeting.

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »