Greg Williams-6'3" G Lafayette, LA - ST. JOHN’S

• 214 replies
Greg Williams-6'3" G Lafayette, LA - ST. JOHN’S
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:06:23 PM »
Another Louisiana kid evidently being recruited by SJU.  Currently ranked #73 by Rivals but set to move up.  Currently states that SJU and Baylor recruiting him the hardest right now.

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/event/201612/chick-fil-classic-day-one-greg-williams-has-his-moment?utm_content=buffer35ce0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

GREG WILLIAMS SHOWS HIS VALUE

Leading his Lafayette Christian bunch into battle against a very talented Westlake High bunch, a team boasting Chuma Okeke, a top-50 recruit headed to Auburn, Greg Williams stepped his game up and then some. Missing their own top-100 recruit in Galen Alexander, the 6-foot-3 junior guard took the court by storm and showed just why he is such a heavily thought of recruit from down south.

As explosive as can be, Williams threw down the dunk of the night off of a putback jam that showed just how athletic he really is. However, the Lafayette guard isn’t a one-trick pony as he wields a very confident and mechanically sound perimeter jumper, a shot that he connected on three times. Leading his team with 18 points and seven rebounds, Williams’ calming presence, athleticism, feel for the game, and versatility in the backcourt should enable for a highly followed college recruitment.

Holding ten offers at the time being, the talented junior spoke a bit on his college stock. “Right now, I am probably hearing the most from St. John’s and Baylor,” Williams said.

“It’s a big city and a good environment,” the high level athlete said about St. John’s. “They’re staff is a very seasoned one with a lot of NBA experience that played at that level.”

Williams went on to speak about Baylor. “I was supposed to visit for a football game,” he said. “They have a good system and the school is good. They’re like a big family environment and a good Christian school.”

Thanks to his impressive array of passes, finishes and the ability to make jump shots, Baylor and St. John’s won’t have it easy for that much longer as Williams looks like he has the talents to become a blueblood recruit as a member of the 2018 class.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1606
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:49:16 PM by kjd01067 »

Re: Greg Williams-6'3" G Lafayette, LA
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:59:30 PM »
Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247  6 hours ago
4🌟Greg Williams'18 has been hearing a lot from Baylor, St.John's, TX A&M, Nevada, Arkansas, Butler, Iowa St, OK St. http://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Williams-91813

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:10:52 AM »
Abdelmassih in Louisiana today for four-star 2018 guard Greg Williams. #sjubb
Per Zach B

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
... And it's already not going well

Matt Abdelmassih ‏@mabde33  1m1 minute ago
 Great start to the trip. Tornado 🌪 in New Orleans #recruitingtrip

QuanMan

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
Looks to be just as highly touted as Luther Muhammad, same type of skill sets, body types. Backup plan or tandem the both with Williams at PG, Luther at the 2?

2017-

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/01/11/greg-williams-excelling-leader-role-knights/96448498/

2016-

http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/sports/high_schools/article_436c7c20-0bc7-5273-996c-b24bc3b98a96.html
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:35:56 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »
This is the type of recruit we need to get. A borderline top 100 and four star guy. This is the type of recruit that the elite programs recruit and retain. Are we still on top of his list?

Poison

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
This is the type of recruit we need to get. A borderline top 100 and four star guy. This is the type of recruit that the elite programs recruit and retain. Are we still on top of his list?

Ellison, Mussini and Yakwe fit this description. I think getting them is big deal. Norm got them all the time. We need coaching to make them into better players. So far, the improvement from the sophomores has been a slow climb.  Ideally, by the time they are seniors, they are ready to contribute at a BE level. That's better than nothing, but it would keep us on the very same plan that Lavin had us on.

Wods317

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »

Ellison, Mussini and Yakwe fit this description. I think getting them is big deal. Norm got them all the time. We need coaching to make them into better players. So far, the improvement from the sophomores has been a slow climb.  Ideally, by the time they are seniors, they are ready to contribute at a BE level. That's better than nothing, but it would keep us on the very same plan that Lavin had us on.

Norm didn't get a lot of four star players, Lavin did though. It's important to develop them of course but have to get them through the doors first before you can make them better. We will see how the players improve from this year to next.

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
Per Corey Evans
St. John's, Texas A&M, Houston & Alabama expected in this week for 4-star @HoustonHoops17U guard Greg Williams Jr. n.rivals.com/content/prospe…

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 11:05:24 PM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/keldon-johnson-completes-dominant-weekend-at-the-nike-eybl

Quote: “It is going good. It is getting bigger more and more as the spring and summer progresses. I am hearing lately form Alabama, LSU, UCLA a little bit, Thad Matta a little from Ohio State, St. John’s, and schools like that.”

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille
St. John's still envisions a big 2018 class. Could take 2 guards. Have kept recruiting Greg Williams, a four-star. #sjubb

Heard they may start turning it up for Greg.  Was quiet this summer, played very little.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 11:04:51 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille
St. John's still envisions a big 2018 class. Could take 2 guards. Have kept recruiting Greg Williams, a four-star. #sjubb

Heard they may start turning it up for Greg.  Was quiet this summer, played very little.

I had actually forgotten about Williams.  I don't believe he participated during the summer circuit.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
Pulling a kid from LA would be very surprising.  They usually make the trip to NYC and stay close to home.  SEC swag.  We have been to this rodeo before.

QuanMan

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
Insiders, what's the latest during this open period? Are we prioritizing Anthony Nelson over him? I know that we're actively involved, official visit this Fall a possibility? Love his game. 
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »
Insiders, what's the latest during this open period? Are we prioritizing Anthony Nelson over him? I know that we're actively involved, official visit this Fall a possibility? Love his game. 

Anthony Nelson cut his list to 5 and SJU wasn't on it

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 06:22:27 AM »
I guess it's time to turn our attention here. Anybody know why he had such a quiet summer? Are there any issues?

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »
I guess it's time to turn our attention here. Anybody know why he had such a quiet summer? Are there any issues?

Not aware of any particular issues, but I know he wasn't on the summer circuit.  He could've been privately working on his game.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:10:01 PM by mjdinkins »

ras

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 03:33:04 PM »
If I were Matt, I'd put the full court press on Williams.

Wods317

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
St John's will host four-star guard Greg Williams on official visit October 27-29. #sjubb

Braziler

Good to be getting a visit, anyone hear anything on chance with Williams