Kyvon Davenport, F, Georgia Highlands CC

• 106 replies

Poison

Re: Kyvon Davenport, F, Georgia Highlands CC
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
There have been worse rebounders who have made the league on their rebounding alone.

Who?

Anyone on the Nets

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »
There have been worse rebounders who have made the league on their rebounding alone.

Who?

Quincy Acy, Reggie Evans. I am not really disagreeing with you. My point is rebounding is never going out of style and nba teams have always had spots for guys whos best, sometimes only, contribution is rebounding. I dont think he should leave school early but I also dont think he has no shot of playing in the league.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »

Who?

Quincy Acy, Reggie Evans. I am not really disagreeing with you. My point is rebounding is never going out of style and nba teams have always had spots for guys whos best, sometimes only, contribution is rebounding. I dont think he should leave school early but I also dont think he has no shot of playing in the league.

You just named 2 players that make up less than 1% of NBA. Evans undrafted and Acy gets spot mins. In a loaded draft year Delgado would be crazy to declare.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2017, 04:34:20 PM »
I think he has played himself in the second round and should leave for the same reason as Whitehead last year (which, if you look at his minutes and performance, was a good decision in retrospect).  Delgado will get no better next year as a 23 year old playing against BE front courts, many of which will be occupied by kids smaller and several years younger than him.  In theory he could work on his face up game, passing, etc, but we all know that probably won't happen.  He'll be asked to do exactly what he is doing this year, because that will be the best way for the Hall to win.

We have some great guards and wings in this league, and I think kids who stay and are guards can really improve their game by staying for that reason.  But how many true bigs does the conference really have that Angel can benefit from competing against?  If I'm him, knowing that I'll be 23 next year and knowing  what other BE front lines look like, I'm playing my way into the draft and/or starting my professional career elsewhere.

Poison

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »

Who?

You just named 2 players that make up less than 1% of NBA. Evans undrafted and Acy gets spot mins. In a loaded draft year Delgado would be crazy to declare.

Only St.John's players are legends in their own minds. You're probably right. Delgado is probably going to return as will Rodriguez and Carrington.

Marillac

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2017, 08:46:06 PM »
No thanks. We need a truck or someone with height...not another 6'6-6'7 tweener that needs to hit the weight room.

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2017, 11:58:21 PM »
Huh?  In the last 15 years, we've had two players leave early when they shouldn't have:  Cook and Sampson.  One got drafted early in the second (31st overall) and the other didn't but played in the league for a bit.  Compare that to how many other kids at other programs leave early.  This isn't something specific to St. John's.

Who?

Only St.John's players are legends in their own minds. You're probably right. Delgado is probably going to return as will Rodriguez and Carrington.

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2017, 01:54:24 AM »
I think he has played himself in the second round and should leave for the same reason as Whitehead last year (which, if you look at his minutes and performance, was a good decision in retrospect).  Delgado will get no better next year as a 23 year old playing against BE front courts, many of which will be occupied by kids smaller and several years younger than him.  In theory he could work on his face up game, passing, etc, but we all know that probably won't happen.  He'll be asked to do exactly what he is doing this year, because that will be the best way for the Hall to win.

We have some great guards and wings in this league, and I think kids who stay and are guards can really improve their game by staying for that reason.  But how many true bigs does the conference really have that Angel can benefit from competing against?  If I'm him, knowing that I'll be 23 next year and knowing  what other BE front lines look like, I'm playing my way into the draft and/or starting my professional career elsewhere.

He won't get drafted in 2nd round in this year's draft class. It's beyond stacked.

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2017, 02:08:26 AM »
No thanks. We need a truck or someone with height...not another 6'6-6'7 tweener that needs to hit the weight room.

Since when is 6'7 not height?

Personally I want skillful athletes. The days of trucks or true big men are gone.

How's Duke doing with Amile Jefferson playing the 5? He makes Owens look beefy.

Cuse made Final Four with Tyler Roberson and Tyler Lydon in front court. Sure they have Coleman but he's awful. I couldn't even tell ya who Okalahoma had in their front court last year. Nova playing with 6'6 Kris Jenkins playing the 4 and sub 200lb Mikal Bridges and former guard Eric Paschall at the 5.

Game is changing and good true bigs are not exactly an available commodity.

Marillac

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2017, 03:47:34 AM »

Personally I want skillful athletes. The days of trucks or true big men are gone.

Cuse made Final Four with Tyler Roberson and Tyler Lydon in front court. Sure they have Coleman but he's awful. I couldn't even tell ya who Okalahoma had in their front court last year. Nova playing with 6'6 Kris Jenkins playing the 4 and sub 200lb Mikal Bridges and former guard Eric Paschall at the 5.

I am not talking about a true big. I'm talking about a kid that can keep physical big men honest.
We already have Ahmed, Clark, and Yakwe that are the same height and better than this kid. He is redundant. What we don't have is a big body to complement Owens.

Why in the world would cite to Duke to argue size isn't that important? They have a 7'0 260 foreign kid, 6'10 245 Marques Bolden, 6'10 240 Harry Giles, 6'10 230 chase Jeter, 6'9 224 Amile Jefferson and 6'9 255 Obi. Jefferson is a 6'9 224 grad student that was a five-star prospect and looks like The Rock compared to Owens. I can't remember a Duke team that didn't have plenty of  big men from Brand to Boozer to the 200 Plumlees to Okafor, Ryan Kelly, and Jabari Parker.

Syracuse started 6'4, 6'6, 6'7, 6'8, and 6'9 for their Final Four. Roberson is 226, Lydon is 223, and Coleman is 268.

We have a center that is currently under 200, a 6'7 PF that is just 210, a SF that is 200, and a pair of 6'0 170 pound guards. We need some size.

paultzman

« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2017, 10:02:48 AM »

I am not talking about a true big. I'm talking about a kid that can keep physical big men honest.
We already have Ahmed, Clark, and Yakwe that are the same height and better than this kid. He is redundant. What we don't have is a big body to complement Owens.

Why in the world would cite to Duke to argue size isn't that important? They have a 7'0 260 foreign kid, 6'10 245 Marques Bolden, 6'10 240 Harry Giles, 6'10 230 chase Jeter, 6'9 224 Amile Jefferson and 6'9 255 Obi. Jefferson is a 6'9 224 grad student that was a five-star prospect and looks like The Rock compared to Owens. I can't remember a Duke team that didn't have plenty of  big men from Brand to Boozer to the 200 Plumlees to Okafor, Ryan Kelly, and Jabari Parker.

Syracuse started 6'4, 6'6, 6'7, 6'8, and 6'9 for their Final Four. Roberson is 226, Lydon is 223, and Coleman is 268.

We have a center that is currently under 200, a 6'7 PF that is just 210, a SF that is 200, and a pair of 6'0 170 pound guards. We need some size.

Matt agrees I sense & that's why a grad transfer fitting that void is number 1 on the radar.

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
No doubt loaded, but I'm looking at the draft express second round right now, and there are a bunch of PF types that I take Angel over.  I think his rebounding translates, kid plays with so much heart you don't worry on that aspect, and has gotten better

He won't get drafted in 2nd round in this year's draft class. It's beyond stacked.

« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »

You do realize that Brand, Boozer, Parker are 6'8-6'9. The average mpg of the Duke bigs you mentioned currently on the team are about 10 mpg appearing in about half of the games played.

Duke has always had a 'big' big man on the roster because they can just as UK and Kansas. It's really hard to have a truly comparative conversation with them and St. John's but point is they aren't exactly dependable on true centers.

« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »

Other than all of your strong valid counterpoints, Dave seems to make a good point.  ???

goredmen

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2017, 01:39:55 PM »
No doubt loaded, but I'm looking at the draft express second round right now, and there are a bunch of PF types that I take Angel over.  I think his rebounding translates, kid plays with so much heart you don't worry on that aspect, and has gotten better

What position can he guard in the NBA? He's not big enough to guard true 5s or big 4s like Towns, Drummond or Aldridge. He's not athletic enough to guard skilled stretch 4s like Porzingis or even a guy like Markieff Morris

« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2017, 01:47:21 PM »

Other than all of your strong valid counterpoints, Dave seems to make a good point.  ???

To state the obvious I think we'd benefit from having a banger / junk yard dog type guy to complement like Marillac said but don't think it has to be a 7' or a guy who weighs 260+.

I fully expect a big through transfer at this point. I trust Matt's track record with transfers. He might be best in the biz at landing 2nd/3rd chance talent.

Poison

« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »

To state the obvious I think we'd benefit from having a banger / junk yard dog type guy to complement like Marillac said but don't think it has to be a 7' or a guy who weighs 260+.

I fully expect a big through transfer at this point. I trust Matt's track record with transfers. He might be best in the biz at landing 2nd/3rd chance talent.

I think that's what all of us see, too. They need tougher interior players. We all know that it's not about height, but rather players who are strong enough to stand their ground inside, box out and rebound. Even yesterday, SH had way too many free baskets only because Ahmed, Yakwe and Alibegivic just don't bother to box out. Against Nova, Xavier and Creighton that kinda stuff kills us. It's what separates us from them.

goredmen

« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2017, 02:06:14 PM »
Is there a list anywhere of potential grad transfers for next year? Searched all over and can't seem to find anything

« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2017, 05:10:24 PM »
Is there a list anywhere of potential grad transfers for next year? Searched all over and can't seem to find anything

I don't think they're gonna announce they're leaving before the season is over.

As opposed to dudes who would be eligible to transfer I have no idea.

goredmen

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »

I don't think they're gonna announce they're leaving before the season is over.

As opposed to dudes who would be eligible to transfer I have no idea.

Yeah basically just looking for guys that are graduating this year but still have a year of eligibility left