If Lovett misses rest of season or significant time......

• 122 replies
Re: If Lovett misses rest of season or significant time......
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 06:30:25 PM »
Massive success so far is a little crazy. This team still hasn't beaten anybody better or even on the same level as them. I don't think it's been a failure or disaster by any stretch but also not a massive success when all 10 wins were over teams that are moderately to significantly worse than us.

It'd be difficult under the best of circumstances to beat "anybody better" wouldn't it? By definition the "better" team beats the worser team most of the time, that's why they're "better." Of the four losses which did you expect to win? Missouri?  I'll concede that as a winnable game that they lost. The others no. ASU is in the top ten, SH on the road, Providence without ML. The difference this year is that they've won the games they were expected to win, they've beaten as you describe them the teams that are "worse than us." That hasn't been the case for any number of years.

I think you just disagree with me just for the hell of it at this point because I think we generally agree on most things with some minor differences.

Yes, we have failed to consistently beat the teams we are better than in year's past, but just because we have done that this year doesn't make the season a "massive success". If that is standard we are going by then we may as well go to the NEC or MAAC as we will never actually be good.

So far we've played two teams better than us. Arizona State and Seton Hall. Lost both as expected. Nothing wrong with that. Some would argue that competing with SHU for 40 minutes would be considered a success. Fine, I'm not one for moral victories and could also point out that the fact we let UCF hang around for 40 minutes is a failure to counter that point.

We've played 2 teams on our level, Missouri and Providence. One neutral and one at home. Lost both of them.

So 0-2 vs teams better than us, and 0-2 vs teams on our level. That is not a massive success.

However, the fact that we have actually beat the 10 teams worse than us does count for something and would be the reason I would equally disagree with somebody should they suggest the season has been a massive failure so far.

Oregon State, Nebraska, St.Joseph’s and UCF have the potential to be quality wins.

Those could end up being solid wins.  But, those were expected wins.  UCF also was playing without their starting backcourt when we played 'em.

We had some "upset" wins a season ago, as we beat Butler and Seton Hall at home.  I'd consider those upets.  I'd also consider beating Providence on the road a season ago to be somewhat of an upset (being it was in Providence).

I'm not expecting a win tonight at Creighton, but those are the type of upsets that I believe goredmen is alluding.  A win tonight could end up being huge, and possibly springboard our season.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:32:31 PM by mjdinkins »

goredmen

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Massive success so far is a little crazy. This team still hasn't beaten anybody better or even on the same level as them. I don't think it's been a failure or disaster by any stretch but also not a massive success when all 10 wins were over teams that are moderately to significantly worse than us.

It'd be difficult under the best of circumstances to beat "anybody better" wouldn't it? By definition the "better" team beats the worser team most of the time, that's why they're "better." Of the four losses which did you expect to win? Missouri?  I'll concede that as a winnable game that they lost. The others no. ASU is in the top ten, SH on the road, Providence without ML. The difference this year is that they've won the games they were expected to win, they've beaten as you describe them the teams that are "worse than us." That hasn't been the case for any number of years.

I think you just disagree with me just for the hell of it at this point because I think we generally agree on most things with some minor differences.

Yes, we have failed to consistently beat the teams we are better than in year's past, but just because we have done that this year doesn't make the season a "massive success". If that is standard we are going by then we may as well go to the NEC or MAAC as we will never actually be good.

So far we've played two teams better than us. Arizona State and Seton Hall. Lost both as expected. Nothing wrong with that. Some would argue that competing with SHU for 40 minutes would be considered a success. Fine, I'm not one for moral victories and could also point out that the fact we let UCF hang around for 40 minutes is a failure to counter that point.

We've played 2 teams on our level, Missouri and Providence. One neutral and one at home. Lost both of them.

So 0-2 vs teams better than us, and 0-2 vs teams on our level. That is not a massive success.

However, the fact that we have actually beat the 10 teams worse than us does count for something and would be the reason I would equally disagree with somebody should they suggest the season has been a massive failure so far.

Oregon State, Nebraska, St.Joseph’s and UCF have the potential to be quality wins.

Wrong. Not even close either.

Oregon State is terrible. They will be an under .500 team in a very average Pac 12.
Nebraska is also terrible. They will be an under .500 team in a very average Big 10.
St Joe's is a mess and their best player didn't play against us and isn't coming back anytime soon. They'll be lucky to be .500 in a terrible A10
UCF could be an ok win but nowhere near a quality win. They too were missing their best player against us and they are trending to be a .500 team in the AAC.

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 06:56:01 PM »
Option 1 is fair.

Do sense that CM's staff will change a bit though.

From your lips to God's ears. They need a real staff, excluding Matt who does his job. The rest of them are romper room.
Agree. Way more to in game coaching then drawing up an out of bounds play. Very little was said on the bench to players coming off vs Providence after they gave up easy basket after easy basket. We are not in every huddle the, but you guys see the same ones I see on tv.
 If all the coaches applied for jobs at other schools, besides Matt who would get the same position at a different school?
If Lovett is out, bad luck for any coach . But coaches are paid to win games. 1985 was 32 years ago.
We definitely lose Ahmed . Probably lose either Lovett and ponds. Very easily could lose both .
Are we still up and coming?
Never should have fired Lavin when we did. We put ourselves in this mess. If Lavin stayed, the year after dom and Harrison wouldn’t have been as bad. Then we could have hired Mullin or someone else. Certainly not with slice as an over priced associate head coach. Whatever that man is he isn’t a coach. Our current top assistant having 0 experience is absurd.
To answer the orginal question, yes I blame Mullin. Buck stops at the head.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »

Oregon State is terrible. They will be an under .500 team in a very average Pac 12.
Nebraska is also terrible. They will be an under .500 team in a very average Big 10.
St Joe's is a mess and their best player didn't play against us and isn't coming back anytime soon. They'll be lucky to be .500 in a terrible A10
UCF could be an ok win but nowhere near a quality win. They too were missing their best player against us and they are trending to be a .500 team in the AAC.

So Nebraska, who is 11-5, and holds wins over Minnesota, BC and Northwestern, isn’t close to being a quality win? I don’t know if close means what you think it means. Nebraska lost by 1 point at Kansas. If they had won, they’d be 12-4. I’d say that makes them pretty damn close to being a quality win.

And as far as St.Joseph’s goes, I realize that they were missing a key player. So were we. And to your point. I agree that the A10 isn’t a strong conference. Why couldn’t St.Joseph’s win the A10? Why couldn’t UCF win the AAC? Neither are nuts.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:39:46 PM by Poison »

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 07:50:56 PM »

So Nebraska, who is 11-5, and holds wins over Minnesota, BC and Northwestern, isn’t close to being a quality win? I don’t know if close means what you think it means. Nebraska lost by 1 point at Kansas. If they had won, they’d be 12-4. I’d say that makes them pretty damn close to being a quality win.

And as far as St.Joseph’s goes, I realize that they were missing a key player. So were we. And to your point. I agree that the A10 isn’t a strong conference. Why couldn’t St.Joseph’s win the A10? Why couldn’t UCF win the AAC? Neither are nuts.

Teams that have no chance of finishing as top 50 teams are not quality wins. None of those 4 teams has a chance at being a top 50 team.

Nebraska isn't good. Their win over Minnesota was good, they beat NW last night when NW has been struggling and they were missing their PG who is their best player. Nobody is writing home about beating BC at home just yet.

Sure, anybody can got hot for a few days in March and win their conference tournament. However, St Joe's won't be in the mix for winning the A10 regular season crown which is a better judge of full-season success. And UCF sure as hell has no chance of winning the AAC regular season. Both teams would be lucky to finish in the top 4 of their respective conferences.

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 07:54:12 PM »
See by the results of the poll that ST. John's fans pass the loyalty oath requirement with flying colors. Hail to the Yesmen!

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 11:00:24 PM »
F*ck Lovett. Ready to move on from him permanently. 

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »

Why you think he isn't really hurt?

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 11:51:14 AM »

Oh, boo-hoo... please re-read your post.  It's implicitly super selfish.
He's a kid.  It's his potential career. 

For you, it's just an entertainment. Relax. It's college basketball.

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »
IMHO, Something else is going on w/ LoVett... I saw him on campus last week and he was walking just fine. no limp at all... I asked him when he was going back $ he said soon... but the kid looked bummed out... if it is was only a tweaked knee u think he would be back by now especially with Ponds going down.

Tell us the truth or play ball  Marcus... we need u NOW!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:06:52 AM by Mullin77 »

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 12:43:11 PM »

I agree.  Nothing but drama for 3 years.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »
You guys are blaming the wrong person. This team should have more than 8 players. Staff gets 100% for Lovett's injury resulting in losses. They own this one. They created it.

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »
You guys are blaming the wrong person. This team should have more than 8 players. Staff gets 100% for Lovett's injury resulting in losses. They own this one. They created it.

They should have said goodbye to him last year and brought in a grad transfer.  With Lovett here, no one of any value was coming on board to sit on the bench behind Lovett, Ponds and Simon. 

Mussini leaving is another story.  That has been really understated.  Still not quite sure what happened with him.

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »
Many of you are sad puppies.  Very shameful posts.

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »
It's option #3 for me.

redslope

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
What other names does Baldi post under since there are 5 of "him".   :).

Poison

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 01:56:44 PM »

They should have said goodbye to him last year and brought in a grad transfer.  With Lovett here, no one of any value was coming on board to sit on the bench behind Lovett, Ponds and Simon. 

Mussini leaving is another story.  That has been really understated.  Still not quite sure what happened with him.

LoVett has a knee injury. Unless the staff is straight up lying, which I doubt, the kid is out because he should be out. He has his future to consider, and any fan can understand that his health is what will determine is salary.

As far as not being able to find a grad transfer guard or forward, I stand by what I said over the summer when I predicted that the staff’s laziness would kill this season. There’s still time for me to be wrong, but there’s no excuse for not adding players - especially grad transfers. Maybe we couldn’t have convinced a star to come here, but I seriously hope no one is thick enough to believe that couldn’t have found a guard better than a walk on, or a forward/center better than the worst scholarship player we’ve ever had.

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2018, 02:03:30 PM »

Why you think he isn't really hurt?

Whoever misses this much time with a sprained knee? He was a gametime decision a month ago.
He's a good talent, but he's not worth the headache he's beought thus far. We could lose just as
much with a Geno Lawrence or Malik Boothe talent.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »

What does Marcus LoVett owe you? If he’s hurt, he shouldn’t be out there. He’s got his livihood to consider.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »
Without looking (and yeah, I looked) can anyone tell me how many points St.John’s scored off the bench?