If Lovett misses rest of season or significant time......

• 122 replies
Re: If Lovett misses rest of season or significant time......
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »

That would also imply that Lovett doesn't want to play? What would that reason be? Or staff thinks he could or should play?
I know the NY Mets like to list guys as day to day and then they miss months so maybe a Queens thing?

More that the staff didn't think the injury was this serious (and maybe it isn't) thought he could/should have been playing a month ago. I just think the whole day-to-day thing for over a month is what was frustrating about this whole thing

What would be Lovett's motivation for not playing?
Guys in the pros milking injuries I can understand, but a kid in Lovett's situation would make no sense.
Maybe naive but I really don't think there is an issue except with the fans who are frustrated. If school said 2 months would everyone have felt better?

goredmen

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »

That would also imply that Lovett doesn't want to play? What would that reason be? Or staff thinks he could or should play?
I know the NY Mets like to list guys as day to day and then they miss months so maybe a Queens thing?

More that the staff didn't think the injury was this serious (and maybe it isn't) thought he could/should have been playing a month ago. I just think the whole day-to-day thing for over a month is what was frustrating about this whole thing

What would be Lovett's motivation for not playing?
Guys in the pros milking injuries I can understand, but a kid in Lovett's situation would make no sense.
Maybe naive but I really don't think there is an issue except with the fans who are frustrated. If school said 2 months would everyone have felt better?

Yes, that's my whole point. If the staff had said he would be out 4-6 weeks or even just "out indefinitely" then I don't think there would be nearly as much frustration surrounding this.

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2018, 02:30:54 PM »
LoVett looks engaged and like a leader on the bench. His teammates have shown no animosity about the situation whatsoever. Everyone, and especially him, has a right to be frustrated. But to skewer this kid's character for any of this is nonsense and wrong. There is no shrewd of evidence about this that suggests he can play right now.

Now, do I think we should be a bit angry about the staff's communication about the injury? Sure. But leave the player out of it.

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
LoVett looks engaged and like a leader on the bench. His teammates have shown no animosity about the situation whatsoever. Everyone, and especially him, has a right to be frustrated. But to skewer this kid's character for any of this is nonsense and wrong. There is no shrewd of evidence about this that suggests he can play right now.

Now, do I think we should be a bit angry about the staff's communication about the injury? Sure. But leave the player out of it.

This!!
Though I guess being a Met fan has made me immune to complaining about how injuries are handled by the team..

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2018, 03:17:32 PM »
If this keeps up any longer I'm going to have start conducting interviews for the much coveted position of Carmineabbatiello favorite player.  Mussini was my only backup to Marcus and he already left for the motherland.

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2018, 03:21:45 PM »
If this keeps up any longer I'm going to have start conducting interviews for the much coveted position of Carmineabbatiello favorite player.  Mussini was my only backup to Marcus and he already left for the motherland.

Take Ponds from Marillac and Mase 

Poison

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »

Mussini gave up more than he made when he wasn’t playing NEC level talent. That’s because he’s an NEC level talent. Nothing wrong with that. I bet he coulda put up 20 ppg in the NEC. Somewhere along the way Mussini was rated as a top college basketball prospect. Clearly not by anyone who saw him play defense. If you recall, we were all pretty excited when we beat out Gonzaga for him.

Still, having him out there might have given us the zone buster off the bench that Trimble isnt.

Foad

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2018, 04:19:43 PM »

Mussini gave up more than he made when he wasn’t playing NEC level talent. That’s because he’s an NEC level talent. Nothing wrong with that. I bet he coulda put up 20 ppg in the NEC. Somewhere along the way Mussini was rated as a top college basketball prospect. Clearly not by anyone who saw him play defense. If you recall, we were all pretty excited when we beat out Gonzaga for him.

Still, having him out there might have given us the zone buster off the bench that Trimble isnt.

The player SJ misses is Ellison. Ironically he transferred (presumably) because he was scared to compete for playing time. Just goes to show.

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2018, 04:21:46 PM »

The player SJ misses is Ellison. Ironically he transferred (presumably) because he was scared to compete for playing time. Just goes to show.

I do not miss him or Mussini. I miss Lovett

Foad

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »

I do not miss him or Mussini. I miss Lovett

Yeah I miss Lovett too, but with Lovett they have six players. Which is not enough players.

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »

Take Ponds from Marillac and Mase 

I can't.  My modus operandi is to choose a player that is under-appreciated, scapegoated, or just plain unloved and adopt him like a lost puppy or that hapless tree that Charlie Brown chose at Christmas.

Despite what Marillac posts - that ain't Ponds.

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »

Agree.  We honestly miss both, but Mussini leaving for a pro contract in his home country is much more understandable than Ellison sitting out a year to play for the worst team in the ACC when he would have played 25 mpg here.

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »

True.  He had length and wasn't defense adverse.  Could have been very disruptive and interesting on the floor with Simon. 

With the twists this season has taken,  obviously I would be happy to have back any and all of the defectors.  Sima too.

As an aside I've watched Kent State play twice this season.  Adonis De La Rosa would look good to me right about now.

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2018, 05:28:18 PM »

Agree.  We honestly miss both, but Mussini leaving for a pro contract in his home country is much more understandable than Ellison sitting out a year to play for the worst team in the ACC when he would have played 25 mpg here.

Why go play  in The ACC when you can play for a last place team at Carnesecca Arena?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:40:17 PM by Marco Baldi »

Foad

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2018, 06:01:29 PM »

Why go play  in The ACC when you can play for a last place team at Carnesecca Arena?

Good news: maybe he'll transfer to Iona, one of the best shittiest teams in America. He can look forward to losing to St John's for the rest of his life, like all the other losers Cluess recruits to your shitty MAAC program.

« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »

Good news: maybe he'll transfer to Iona, one of the best shittiest teams in America. He can look forward to losing to St John's for the rest of his life, like all the other losers Cluess recruits to your shitty MAAC program.

Nah these 2 teams won't play each other for another 20+ years. On the positive side, at the end of the season(March 7th)-at least St. John's can hang their hats on beating 1 tournament team this year

goredmen

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »

Nah these 2 teams won't play each other for another 20+ years. On the positive side, at the end of the season(March 7th)-at least St. John's can hang their hats on beating 1 tournament team this year

That would make 1 more than Iona has beaten in the last 5 years probably. Maybe they can stay within single digits of the next big conference opponent they play, but probably not

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
looks like the marketing dept is playing a really cruel joke or is just totally out of touch with reality when creating/timing their ads

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSLtcpLWsAAJNyU.jpg:large

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2018, 06:57:15 PM »

That would make 1 more than Iona has beaten in the last 5 years probably. Maybe they can stay within single digits of the next big conference opponent they play, but probably not

Ya probably not. It's nice to be invited at least once every 10 years or so though

Poison

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2018, 07:27:58 PM »

It seems to me that the common theme among the players who transferred was the belief that they were all better than they are. Ellison showed potential but let’s not kid ourselves, he was a lot of work away from being a legit BE starter or even rotation player. It is disappointing that he left because we’ve turned guys like into quality role players. We just haven’t done it often.