Hope

• 101 replies

TONYD3

Re: Hope
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2018, 01:24:14 PM »
Here are Georgetown's wins this year:

Jacksonville, Mt. St. Mary's, MD Eastern Shore, Richmond (road), Maine, Coppin St., Howard, NC A & T, North Texas, Alabama A & M, DePaul and SJU on the road.

That is not a misprint.  With that type of resume so far I think Patrick Ewing is the next Tom Izzo, what do you think?  Although I am not sure they would have beaten MD Eastern Shore without the staff he put together, good thing he hired Louis Orr for that game.  Drew up some unbelievable plays for Govan or else they may have only won by 20 instead of 26...
I heard an interview with Ewing - he said something like that is a this years schedule was good for this current Georgetown team. He seemed well aware that it was very weak.
Patrick seems to be in charge. He certainly seems competent

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:36 PM »

Jacksonville, Mt. St. Mary's, MD Eastern Shore, Richmond (road), Maine, Coppin St., Howard, NC A & T, North Texas, Alabama A & M, DePaul and SJU on the road.

That is not a misprint.  With that type of resume so far I think Patrick Ewing is the next Tom Izzo, what do you think?  Although I am not sure they would have beaten MD Eastern Shore without the staff he put together, good thing he hired Louis Orr for that game.  Drew up some unbelievable plays for Govan or else they may have only won by 20 instead of 26...
I heard an interview with Ewing - he said something like that is a this years schedule was good for this current Georgetown team. He seemed well aware that it was very weak.
Patrick seems to be in charge. He certainly seems competent

Guy I know why he did it, that does not mean you actually have PROVEN anything by executing against it.

So if Chris Mullin scheduled that this year and went 11-1 in the pre-season you would be OK because HE DID IT. 

My point is simple, has he actually proven ANYTHING except he can beat a LOT of bad teams?  NO?  The best team he faced by far (Creighton at home) blew their doors off. 

He very well may be a good coach in 2 or 3 years but I don't know what you can derive from what he has done so far to tell you he is ahead of anyone.

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »

Who said Tom Izzo. I think people are just saying seems more coach ready then Chris Mullin. Certainly is more engaged. But as some people have noted he was an NBA asst for years, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I was obviously using hyperbole to make a point.  He has 1 top 100 win so far and that believe it or not is from last night and anyone who saw that game would tell you Dr. Naismith is not clapping after that display.

What in God's name has he done so far to tell you his hire or his way is working anymore than Chris'?  Nothing except an ugly 3 point win in a game his team did everything but give away last night.

And staff.  For crying out loud a decent high school staff with some team managers could win 10 games with that schedule.

Just saying long way from saying someone is a better coach than Mullin to Tom Izzo.

Can't speak for anyone else but my only point is that Ewing seems much more involved. Obviously not in the huddle and he could be talking gobbidy gook, but he does seem more in tuned with everything. Even if that is only an impression, I think that kind of demeanor would have bought Chris Mullin more goodwill. BTW I can't believe I just typed Chris Mullin needs more goodwill from ST John's fans.

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2018, 01:38:48 PM »

Who said Tom Izzo. I think people are just saying seems more coach ready then Chris Mullin. Certainly is more engaged. But as some people have noted he was an NBA asst for years, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I was obviously using hyperbole to make a point.  He has 1 top 100 win so far and that believe it or not is from last night and anyone who saw that game would tell you Dr. Naismith is not clapping after that display.

What in God's name has he done so far to tell you his hire or his way is working anymore than Chris'?  Nothing except an ugly 3 point win in a game his team did everything but give away last night.

And staff.  For crying out loud a decent high school staff with some team managers could win 10 games with that schedule.

Just saying long way from saying someone is a better coach than Mullin to Tom Izzo.

Can't speak for anyone else but my only point is that Ewing seems much more involved. Obviously not in the huddle and he could be talking gobbidy gook, but he does seem more in tuned with everything. Even if that is only an impression, I think that kind of demeanor would have bought Chris Mullin more goodwill. BTW I can't believe I just typed Chris Mullin needs more goodwill from ST John's fans.

Again I answered that I was using hyperbole for crying out loud.

And no I don't think demeanor means squat.  Georgetown's staff has proven nothing and they will be near the bottom of the BE this year and that is OK because they are projected to be bad.  Time will tell on their staff.

Johnny23

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »
Patrick and staff in Year 1 are way ahead of Mullin and staff in Year 3. Patrick gets it and isn't afraid to ream a guy out if he makes a mistake. His staff is also heavy on experience. Some key differences.

Patrick took over an established/relevant Big East program. Mullin has more work to do but its heading in the right direction. He is running an NBA style system. We don't have the horses for that and unfortunately I don't believe he is comfortable running anything else. That's where his in-experience hurts. He is to reliant on the horses, but they are coming even though we continue to struggle. 

I disagree, Georgetown was in the midst of a significant fade for a few years under JTIII. 

BTW-I don't think either one has proven squat, all Patrick has proven is he can beat a lot of really bad teams.  Not sure why anyone feels the need to praise Patrick at the expense of Chris, neither has proven anything.

This. G'town hasn't been a relevant program in at least 5 years and closer to 10.

What is our relevancy clock at currently?

Whatever it is it's not an excuse for Mullin. He needs to stay focused on his own mess.

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »

Again I answered that I was using hyperbole for crying out loud.

And no I don't think demeanor means squat.  Georgetown's staff has proven nothing and they will be near the bottom of the BE this year and that is OK because they are projected to be bad.  Time will tell on their staff.

Fine for you but a great many on here it seems to bother. I never thought about it before and if Mullin was winning no one would probably bring it up. But since we are losing it is clearly bad optics. How many times did Maher bring up sitting on the table? The words dry board have probably been brought up 100 times on these boards. I am not arguing with your stance, but clearly his results combined with perception has him facing criticism earlier than imaginable.

Do disagree about Louie Orr, guy has had success and I would take him over ST Jean or Richmond obviously.

pmg911

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »

That is not the point and you know it...

Ewing started his college coaching career by surrounding himself with some people with deep experience at the college level. It is the opposite of Coach Mullin did.

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »

Ewing started his college coaching career by surrounding himself with some people with deep experience at the college level. It is the opposite of Coach Mullin did.

You really think Louis Orr is a bigger name in college hoops than Slice?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2018, 02:32:55 PM »

Orr is Ewing's bench coach with experience that everyone has been harping about for 3 years. I do not think Slice was ever supposed to be that.

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »

Orr is Ewing's bench coach with experience that everyone has been harping about for 3 years. I do not think Slice was ever supposed to be that.

I agree but he definitely fits the bill as someone with deep college experience. Where he went wrong was st Jean as his third.

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2018, 02:36:00 PM »

As a coach, definitely,  as a bag man probably not.

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »

My point is that everyone including the rest of college b-ball world was exalting mullin and at Johns (something that never happens!)  for hiring slice. Matt came with plenty of experience as well. To say at this point he didn’t go out and hire the right staff seems like revisionist history to me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:41:17 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »

I agree but he definitely fits the bill as someone with deep college experience. Where he went wrong was st Jean as his third.

Third? Who is first?
You really see us going 7-7?

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 02:44:08 PM »

My point is that everyone including the rest of college b-ball world was exalting mullin and at Johns (something that never happens!)  for hiring slice. Matt came with plenty of experience as well. To say at this point he didn’t go out and hire the right staff seems like revisionist history to me.

Slice and everyone's favorite midget were fine. Like you said ST Jean instead of George Blaney type was the issue. Orr fits that bill. BTW do you think in George Blaney's wildest dreams he thought he would would become an adjective? Or at the very least a description of a job type?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:45:35 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »

No I don't know it and I don't share your point.

Talk to me in 2-3 years way too early to draw any conclusions over staff 

Hiring Louis Orr proves nothing at this point.  It may well prove to pay dividends but at this point it means nothing.  Georgetown is going nowhere this year with or without Orr.

Give Mullin their roster and their schedule and I don't see a difference with Georgetown's record.  And yet you are drawing these conclusions now as opposed to 3 years from now.

That is the point, don't tell me what I should know

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »

Hiring Louis Orr proves nothing at this point.  It may well prove to pay dividends but at this point it means nothing.  Georgetown is going nowhere this year with or without Orr.

Give Mullin their roster and their schedule and I don't see a difference with Georgetown's record.  And yet you are drawing these conclusions now as opposed to 3 years from now.

So your argument is you can't call anything anything until it plays itself out in 2 or 3 years? So if the Giants hire a guy off the street to coach them if it works out great it was a good hire and if it doesn't it was a bad hire?
Not sure life  works that way. You can describe something by the facts you have at that moment in time. Is it possible to be proven wrong, sure. But I would call Orr hire better than ST Jean hire.

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »

Third? Who is first?
You really see us going 7-7?

Third hire. Is Lovett back for nova? Ill stick to 500 with him back. And in all honesty I expected to be better than 500 with Lovett prior to this stretch so going that now doesn't seem farfetched to me. We can certainly feel bad for ourselves, hell I blame myself for cursing the program, I must be the only guy in the world who became a fan of the program during our ohio state elite 8 loss. I havnt been able to get enough since and its basically been one long wait till next year.  Mullin and team cant dwell and sulk. On to the next one.

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »

So your argument is you can't call anything anything until it plays itself out in 2 or 3 years? So if the Giants hire a guy off the street to coach them if it works out great it was a good hire and if it doesn't it was a bad hire?
Not sure life  works that way. You can describe something by the facts you have at that moment in time. Is it possible to be proven wrong, sure. But I would call Orr hire better than ST Jean hire.

No that's not my point.  If Georgetown was doung something exceptional this year in recruting or on the court or both then you may be able to draw an early conclusion or something.  But short if that no. Not really.

Bottom line is Ewing is doing with a decent roster and God awful schedule what any decent competent coach, say former HM assistant would do.  So what. I could name dozens of nameless coaches who would have the same record.

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 03:09:23 PM »

Slice is almost as much a pure recruiter as Matt is, however he does also do skill development with bigmen. I watched Slice's teams at Manhattan and can tell you he is not a bench coach.  Louis Orr fits much more into the mold of a bench coach and PMG is absolutely correct that Ewing built a smarter staff in this respect.  Have no problem with Matt/Slice or Matt/Mitch combo.  It has always been the St. Jean hire that was befuddling, with him having 0 experience and being so young.  He could very well be a prodigy and turn out to be a great coach one day but nothing replaces a coach that has experience practice-planning, gameplanning and being "THE GUY" on the bench for sub patterns, time/score situations late in games and thinking on your feet late in the game.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2018, 03:10:19 PM »

No that's not my point.  If Georgetown was doing something exceptional this year in recruting or on the court or both then you may be able to draw an early conclusion or something.  But short of that no. Not really.

Bottom line is Ewing is doing with a decent roster and God awful schedule what any decent competent coach, say former HM assistant would do.  So what. I could name dozens of nameless coaches who would have the same record.