Hope

• 101 replies
Re: Hope
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
I'm tired of arguing this.  If you think SJU needs to hire a Louis Orr type fine.  Go with that.  I don't care.

Chris is the HC, he hires who he wants and who he feels comfortable with.  That is all I care about.  If he can't win like that then he needs to go, but he doesn't need me to tell him who he should surround himself with.  He has been in basketball his whole life, if he needs a bunch of fans to tell him that then he has no business being the coach of SJU to begin with.

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 03:21:20 PM »
I'm tired of arguing this.  If you think SJU needs to hire a Louis Orr type fine.  Go with that.  I don't care.

Chris is the HC, he hires who he wants and who he feels comfortable with.  That is all I care about.  If he can't win like that then he needs to go, but he doesn't need me to tell him who he should surround himself with.  He has been in basketball his whole life, if he needs a bunch of fans to tell him that then he has no business being the coach of SJU to begin with.

I am a Mullin guy but the reason these questions and suggestions are being brought up is because at the moment it is a very real question of does he have any business being a coach.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:22:11 PM by we are sju »

TONYD3

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »
Here are Georgetown's wins this year:

Jacksonville, Mt. St. Mary's, MD Eastern Shore, Richmond (road), Maine, Coppin St., Howard, NC A & T, North Texas, Alabama A & M, DePaul and SJU on the road.

That is not a misprint.  With that type of resume so far I think Patrick Ewing is the next Tom Izzo, what do you think?  Although I am not sure they would have beaten MD Eastern Shore without the staff he put together, good thing he hired Louis Orr for that game.  Drew up some unbelievable plays for Govan or else they may have only won by 20 instead of 26...

Who said Tom Izzo. I think people are just saying seems more coach ready then Chris Mullin. Certainly is more engaged. But as some people have noted he was an NBA asst for years, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I was obviously using hyperbole to make a point.  He has 1 top 100 win so far and that believe it or not is from last night and anyone who saw that game would tell you Dr. Naismith is not clapping after that display.

What in God's name has he done so far to tell you his hire or his way is working anymore than Chris'?  Nothing except an ugly 3 point win in a game his team did everything but give away last night.

And staff.  For crying out loud a decent high school staff with some team managers could win 10 games with that schedule.

Just saying long way from saying someone is a better coach than Mullin to Tom Izzo.

Can't speak for anyone else but my only point is that Ewing seems much more involved. Obviously not in the huddle and he could be talking gobbidy gook, but he does seem more in tuned with everything. Even if that is only an impression, I think that kind of demeanor would have bought Chris Mullin more goodwill. BTW I can't believe I just typed Chris Mullin needs more goodwill from ST John's fans.

Again I answered that I was using hyperbole for crying out loud.

And no I don't think demeanor means squat.  Georgetown's staff has proven nothing and they will be near the bottom of the BE this year and that is OK because they are projected to be bad.  Time will tell on their staff.

Fine for you but a great many on here it seems to bother. I never thought about it before and if Mullin was winning no one would probably bring it up. But since we are losing it is clearly bad optics. How many times did Maher bring up sitting on the table? The words dry board have probably been brought up 100 times on these boards. I am not arguing with your stance, but clearly his results combined with perception has him facing criticism earlier than imaginable.

Do disagree about Louie Orr, guy has had success and I would take him over ST Jean or Richmond obviously.
A new head coach, not coaching, while his 23 year old assistant with 0 experience coaches a team is not bad optics it is absurd. Do you remember what it was like? My friend at the Fordham was laughing at me and said “the players don’t even look at him, they only look at the young guy.”
I get no joy in bashing Mullin or anyone else and I don’t believe I am. Just pointing out what really happened.
Patrick- 2 big east wins
Chris- 8 big east wins
Cupards, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and other excuses either stop or we keep getting killed.

New coach first needs to build a staff. - we have a terrible one
Instil culture - play defense - toughness- accountability- shot selection- boxing out - defense
That should start immediately- that first crappy team should have been tougher- that isn’t optics
No one deserves a pass - for being unprepared- blow out by a division 2 team- incarnate word blow out- their were more cupcake losses.

The solution- year 4- bring in x and o guy- what does that even mean? Syracuse was for 40 years because of an x and o guy? Why don’t we have x and o guys? At the end of a game Chris Mullin should be giving instructions, not st. Jean, not mike rice

Alternative solution- bring in an experienced head coach- who brings in 3 good assistant - they all coach- they all recruit - they all make a lot of money, but they earn it because they work hard- bring in people that really want to be here- this is their dream job- not guys who already had their dream jobs

pmg911

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2018, 03:41:32 PM »

And staff.  For crying out loud a decent high school staff with some team managers could win 10 games with that schedule.

That is not the point and you know it...

Ewing started his college coaching career by surrounding himself with some people with deep experience at the college level. It is the opposite of Coach Mullin did.

No I don't know it and I don't share your point.

Talk to me in 2-3 years way too early to draw any conclusions over staff 

Hiring Louis Orr proves nothing at this point.  It may well prove to pay dividends but at this point it means nothing.  Georgetown is going nowhere this year with or without Orr.

Give Mullin their roster and their schedule and I don't see a difference with Georgetown's record.  And yet you are drawing these conclusions now as opposed to 3 years from now.

That is the point, don't tell me what I should know

I am not drawing any conclusions.

Ewing was smart to hire an experienced staff, Mullin didn't. It's not difficult to understand.

Maybe you have reverted back to arguing just for arguments sake.

desco80

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »

Personally, I don't want to tell Mullin who to put on his staff either.   Rather, it's my hope that he's realized over time that he needs some different perspectives and levels of experience.   And, that he then makes the changes himself this spring. 

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2018, 04:09:53 PM »

Personally, I don't want to tell Mullin who to put on his staff either.   Rather, it's my hope that he's realized over time that he needs some different perspectives and levels of experience.   And, that he then makes the changes himself this spring. 
Coaches are told all the time to shake up their staffs and if they refuse then they are gone too. Happens all the time in football with offensive and defensive coordinators.

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
Here are Georgetown's wins this year:

Jacksonville, Mt. St. Mary's, MD Eastern Shore, Richmond (road), Maine, Coppin St., Howard, NC A & T, North Texas, Alabama A & M, DePaul and SJU on the road.

That is not a misprint.  With that type of resume so far I think Patrick Ewing is the next Tom Izzo, what do you think?  Although I am not sure they would have beaten MD Eastern Shore without the staff he put together, good thing he hired Louis Orr for that game.  Drew up some unbelievable plays for Govan or else they may have only won by 20 instead of 26...

Who said Tom Izzo. I think people are just saying seems more coach ready then Chris Mullin. Certainly is more engaged. But as some people have noted he was an NBA asst for years, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I was obviously using hyperbole to make a point.  He has 1 top 100 win so far and that believe it or not is from last night and anyone who saw that game would tell you Dr. Naismith is not clapping after that display.

What in God's name has he done so far to tell you his hire or his way is working anymore than Chris'?  Nothing except an ugly 3 point win in a game his team did everything but give away last night.

Just saying long way from saying someone is a better coach than Mullin to Tom Izzo.

Can't speak for anyone else but my only point is that Ewing seems much more involved. Obviously not in the huddle and he could be talking gobbidy gook, but he does seem more in tuned with everything. Even if that is only an impression, I think that kind of demeanor would have bought Chris Mullin more goodwill. BTW I can't believe I just typed Chris Mullin needs more goodwill from ST John's fans.

Again I answered that I was using hyperbole for crying out loud.

And no I don't think demeanor means squat.  Georgetown's staff has proven nothing and they will be near the bottom of the BE this year and that is OK because they are projected to be bad.  Time will tell on their staff.

Fine for you but a great many on here it seems to bother. I never thought about it before and if Mullin was winning no one would probably bring it up. But since we are losing it is clearly bad optics. How many times did Maher bring up sitting on the table? The words dry board have probably been brought up 100 times on these boards. I am not arguing with your stance, but clearly his results combined with perception has him facing criticism earlier than imaginable.

Everyone on the Maher bandwagon now :)

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »
I think above everything, we are seeing the issues with hiring a coach with zero experience, who has been completely removed from college basketball for 25+ years.

I was optimistic about the hire at first, hard to believe he will be able to bring the program back at this point. I'd ask if he'd be willing to "mutually part ways" at the end of the season. I don't see this happening though. I think it's Mullin's job until he doesn't want it anymore. That's what SJU signed up for when they chose to make the hire.

It just seems like he's in over his head as a coach, and I'm not sure he has the demeanor. Hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »
How this get fixed, Mullin has to clean house

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »

House was clean. What needs to happen is we need to see this roster of 10+ players in uniform next fall.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2018, 08:22:16 PM »

House was clean. What needs to happen is we need to see this roster of 10+ players in uniform next fall.

Get rid of all, hire Mike Rice and Jared Grasso

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »

Matt A > Grasso. Not close

« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2018, 09:50:55 PM »

Not close? Ok tell me why

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2018, 09:51:47 PM »

Not worth my time.

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2018, 09:53:16 PM »

Not worth my time.

Time is all you have

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2018, 09:54:44 PM »

Not worth my time.

Time is all you have

Ok maybe I'll ask on selection Sunday

« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »
Dude I generally love your posts and find them hysterical but your absolute glee over SJU's failure and clogging the boards with stuff is getting old. 

If you are pissed that they finally played this year and SJU beat them, who cares.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the current mess.  Hope Iona still makes the tourney; doesn't mean I should be pleased that our season is a mess. 

As you all know I post and read this board and others on almost a daily basis.  But I've stayed away recently because it is becoming unbearable.  This season is bad enough and yes things need to get better quick.  Having this board be clogged full of nonsense all day is beyond annoying.

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2018, 10:06:28 PM »
Dude I generally love your posts and find them hysterical but your absolute glee over SJU's failure and clogging the boards with stuff is getting old. 

If you are pissed that they finally played this year and SJU beat them, who cares.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the current mess.  Hope Iona still makes the tourney; doesn't mean I should be pleased that our season is a mess. 

As you all know I post and read this board and others on almost a daily basis.  But I've stayed away recently because it is becoming unbearable.  This season is bad enough and yes things need to get better quick.  Having this board be clogged full of nonsense all day is beyond annoying.

Glee? I was a St Johns fan when most of you were still shitting in your diapers. 

« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »
WASJU, remember when Yakwes struggles were pinned on Sima?  Undersized front court players need to make up for their height by excelling in other areas. I thought it would be rebouding but despite his elite athleticism its not the case. He can’t dribble, pass, or shoot at a division two level. And his instincts unfortunately can only improve so much. In a limited role with 4 basketball players around him he can contribute.

I don't disagree with anything you posted but his athleticism doesn't even appear elite any longer. Even with all his faults could you imagine he would be this bad? At times it looks like they pulled him out of the stands and slapped a jersey on him.
Agree. Simon athleticism is elite. Yakwe not even close

goredmen

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:57 PM »

Matt has 4 NCAA Tournament wins under his belt. Grasso has 0. Don't need a ton of time for this one