Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

Foad

Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 10:28:06 AM »
What you wrote is true.

Most everything I write is true. People just find it unpleasant because the truth is unpleasant.

A new coach even coaching 3rd grade makes plenty of mistakes. Often things happen. Trust me foady- coaching in NYC- something happens every day. As a coach you learn from them. You learn from experience. If you try you get better. Plenty of bad coaches coaching youth sports.

In the spirit of comity I will not drive a truck through that generous opening.

This is big east Basketball.  All of the other coaches, EXCEPT ours went through this. All of them spent years learning how to do this. How many more beat downs do you need to witness before you believe?

Believe what? That Mullin's learning on the job? Of course he is. That the results have been disappointing? Of course they have. That Mullin's completely over his head and if he's a real man he should quit? I think that's just silly.

A few years ago I said coaching is hard. You mocked me. It is not hard like brain surgery. It is hard in that their are plenty of long days . Plenty of issues like periods or Lovett’s. Plenty of nonsense you have to deal with. Coaching in NYC is often thankless. It is often free.

Fair enough. I didn't consider that you meant it was grueling and thankless. I'm sure it is, as are most jobs. That's why they call them jobs rather than ice cream cones or rainbows. I thought you meant it was intellectually taxing. Which it can't be, because blockheads like Jim Boeheim and Bobby Knight are in the hall of fame for being good at it.

Coaching in the big east is reserved for the best.

The best Jerry, the best. Like Norm Roberts, Jerry Wainright, Fred the Moleman Hill and the great Steve Lavin. The creme de la creme.

Those coaches have the best facilities

Right, like Carnesseca Arena.

What has our staff done as COACHES to deserve their jobs?

In a general sense I think that most people shoud get what they deserve and they should get it good and hard. Other than that I don't really know what you mean. Mullin is a HOF player and the face of the program. That's what he did to deserve his job. Matt whatever has a track record of success as a recruiter, that's what he did to deserve his job. I don't know what Richmond's job is but he seems over qualified for it.

Question: do you believe that only people who are trained or experienced in one aspect of a certain profession can be successful at it? That eg only someone who has coached before can be a successful coach? If so, can you explain how William Shatner, a amazing actor, went on to a great career as a singer? How Lenny Dykstra, a centerfielder, went on to astounding success as a financial advisor? How Donald Trump, a game show host, is making America great again as president of the United States? The fact is that people can be good or bad at one thing and then later good or bad at another. Norm was a great assistant coach and a lousy head coach. Bill Rafferty was a great player, a bad coach and a great broadcaster. Billy Martin was a mediocre player and a great manager. There is not one path to success and - and you might have to sit down, this is pretty deep - one path can lead to many different destinations. 

Guess what if you coach girls CYO and don’t play any defense you will lose. If you coach girls 6th volleyball and are not prepared you will lose. If you coach Jv Basketball and you let your your volunteer assistant run practice you will lose

That's probably true. Just as is the opposite. That you can play good defense and lose, or little defense (Paul Westhead, Tim Cluess) and win. You can not prepare and win (See exhibit A: Steve Lavin). You can let your assistant run practice and win (see exhibit B: Mike Dunlap).

Trying to insult me won’t change any of this. Even if I am dumb as you say.

I'm not trying to insult you and I don't know whether or not you're dumb. But you say a lot of dumb things, many of which are the opposite of the dumb things you said the day before.

These 3 years have been an utter failure.

Utter failure is a little harsh. You're forgetting that the great Federico Missini once led us to a glorious victory over hated rival Syracuse. The most of it though has been less than pleasant, I won't argue that point.

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
Here's the bottom line.

At this point they are going to make the best of the remaining 14 games.  Even if the best is a disaster.

Then they will say next year with added depth and talent will yield better results.

That will be the plan.  At this point I am not convinced next year is going to be some huge year because as is the case with many things we overhype incoming talent.

But I am just saying that will be the corporate line and so either live with it or complain more but that is going to be the plan.

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
Here's the bottom line.

At this point they are going to make the best of the remaining 14 games.  Even if the best is a disaster.

Then they will say next year with added depth and talent will yield better results.

That will be the plan.  At this point I am not convinced next year is going to be some huge year because as is the case with many things we overhype incoming talent.

But I am just saying that will be the corporate line and so either live with it or complain more but that is going to be the plan.

key to next year will be who goes and who stays from this current crop.  simple as that.  we need continuity.  that's been our biggest issue.

(and i don't want to hear 'so and so would be an idiot to leave'.  we've seen it happen before.)

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »
Look he's not getting fired.  It's not  happening.  Even with an utter complete disaster 2-16, 1-17 type of season I don't see it.

So don't waster your time.

My only thing is I don't want to see any more articles about how much he has improved the whole program, how we are so much better off after 3 years then if we had kept Lavin or hired someone else, the balance of the roster etc, etc...

The benefit of the doubt is gone.  He is no different than Steve Lavin.  In fact he is no different than Norm Roberts who was 7-9 in his 3rd year in a much more difficult BE and after taking over a complete dumpster fire his first 2 years.  Don't care anymore about 1985.  Don't care anymore about how Zach likes this staff so he is a great read.   By the way I'll dig up the tweet but Braziller tweeted a couple of years ago the plan was to be a top 25 program by year 3 (He tweeted that, he certainly got that from you know who).

Don't care anymore.  No more benefit of the doubt on borderline recruits or transfers.  The fact is if you look closely at what they landed and who they have beaten vs who has transferred out, who they have whiffed on, who they have lost to and throw the Slice drama, Sid Wilson dram and now the Marcus Lovett drama there is not much positive you can honestly say has happened since his hire.  Hard to believe but if you take an honest look you would be hard pressed to find 5 things you would say the program is better at then they were 3 years ago.

It's CM's job, he wanted it.  Staff change, no staff change.  Not my call and I don't care.  Fix it or take a hike.  But man assuming this year continues south, what an off season and what a year he needs to have next year....

I know he won't be fired this year, but if he has another season like this next year like you said he should be fired unless the administration is completely incompetent. I'm honestly still in shock that we're 0-5 in Big East play in year 3 of his tenure. It's an embarrassment, and complete and utter failure.

College basketball is all about coaches. You have a good coach you're going to be good. They will get the players, and they will get the players to play how they want. Chris Mullin is not a good coach, and he never will be mark my words. This guy is a joke. All he does is argue with the refs and get needless technical fouls. He doesn't know how to handle college players much less a major college program, and he doesn't know how to make the necessary adjustments to be a coach at this level. It's year 3 and he hasn't improved one bit.

I'm envious of other programs, even Iona, who have coaches who you know will have a good game-plan going into the game, and who will make the adjustments in a game to swing the momentum. Just look at the Creighton game, SJU was cruising along until McDermott (who is an awesome coach that Mullin couldn't even shine his shoes) made the adjustment and we caved like the Falcons in the Super Bowl. That's the kind of coach I want leading this program. Not some guy who had nothing better to do than come back to his alma matter and be handed the head coaching position over tons of way more qualified candidates. This program isn't going anywhere until we find a real coach.

When was the last time we had tons of way more qualified candidates?

Any coach we were involved with when we fired Lavin like both Hurley bros were more qualified.

ST John's fans fascination with brothers. Used to be the Miller boys, now the Hurley's.
Somewhere out there another set of brothers are preparing to be become a fantasy for clueless ST John's fans around 2025 when they start calling for Tim Cluess to be fired.
Yeah why would we want young successful coaches that are leading their teams to the tournament when we can have this cluster buck.

Because they were never coming here.
School won't pay up and it is not a desirable job.
Disagree and say it is that answer why we never get that hot name that comes up?
I guess Fran and Jarvis sort of qualify but that was not that far removed from us being relevant.
Norm, Lavin was fired and ridiculed and hadn't coached in what 10 years? Mullin made sense in that he was the conquering hero but he has never coached.

I think it was pretty well known last time around Danny Hurley would have came if the job was offered. He is a fine coach who established a winning culture at URI, and undoubtedly would have been a better hire than Mullin. If you're a college basketball coach at a high level you either have to be able to recruit really well or coach and develop really well, or be at least decent at both, and Mullin is below average to terrible at both. There is no light at the end of the tunnel with him coaching. Time for him to swallow his pride and go find some cushy NBA front office job.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:15:26 PM by thetruth8734 »

Wods317

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 01:23:45 PM »
Reality is Mullin isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Most you can reasonably wish for us that they shake up the staff a bit and everyone but Lovett stays an we added much needed depth and scoring help with the incoming recruits. These last 5 games have been incredibly disappointing so I don’t give anyone flak for blowing off steam. This season will go down as a huge disappointment but the reality of the situation is he will be back next year unless he wants to leave.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:24:17 PM by Wods317 »

ras

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »
Here's the bottom line.

key to next year will be who goes and who stays from this current crop.  simple as that.  we need continuity.  that's been our biggest issue.

(and i don't want to hear 'so and so would be an idiot to leave'.  we've seen it happen before.)
If we have a repeat of the exodus last year, we will be just spinning our wheels. Have to see if the recruits enrolls  and who leaves Getting a qualified assistant coach would also help.

pmg911

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »

I think it was pretty well known last time around Danny Hurley would have came if the job was offered.

and this information comes from..?

I think it was pretty well known that Hurley made it known he had no interest

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »

I think it was pretty well known last time around Danny Hurley would have came if the job was offered.

What I had heard as well. Further for those of you that want your coach to be a good guy( I am not in that camp btw) Hurley's are jerks. This seemed like a big deal for those "Normies" that might still be around.

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »

What I had heard as well. Further for those of you that want your coach to be a good guy( I am not in that camp btw) Hurley's are jerks. This seemed like a big deal for those "Normies" that might still be around.

I also heard that he wasn't interested, but the reason for that was because he was waiting for Willard to get fired from Seton Hall (probably Hurley's dream job, since that's his alma mater).  Remember, they were just coming off that disappointing season, with all the in-fighting, and many felt Willard was on the hot seat.

Willard's firing is not going to happen anytime soon, now, so maybe Hurley's thoughts on our job have changed.

goredmen

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2018, 02:20:17 PM »

I also heard that he wasn't interested, but the reason for that was because he was waiting for Willard to get fired from Seton Hall (probably Hurley's dream job, since that's his alma mater).  Remember, they were just coming off that disappointing season, with all the in-fighting, and many felt Willard was on the hot seat.

Willard's firing is not going to happen anytime soon, now, so maybe Hurley's thoughts on our job have changed.

Seton Hall is nobody's dream school

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »

Speaking of Hurley and Seton Hall. For all of you angry at Lovett, Hurley quit in mid season while at SH. Now that was not as big a deal because unlike Lovett, Hurley was not any good. But still all of you killing Lovett couldn't possibly want Danny Hurley as coach, right?
Also wasn't there that rumor that when Hurley was at Saint Benedict's and didn't get assistant job at SH he supposedly threatened to never send one of his kids to SH?

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2018, 02:55:07 PM »
Even better I hate Seton Hall too.

Speaking of Hurley and Seton Hall. For all of you angry at Lovett, Hurley quit in mid season while at SH. Now that was not as big a deal because unlike Lovett, Hurley was not any good. But still all of you killing Lovett couldn't possibly want Danny Hurley as coach, right?
Also wasn't there that rumor that when Hurley was at Saint Benedict's and didn't get assistant job at SH he supposedly threatened to never send one of his kids to SH?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
I understand the anger and frustration of BE play and it’s hard to imagine if it will get better, but I don’t understand about completely burning down the house because of serious foundation issue being found, but are fixable.

At 10-2 Mullin was a coach who was improving after a respectable OOC schedule. At 10-7 and 0-5 in the BE, he is a utter failure who has  no damn clue to what he is doing...having his second best player out doesn’t count. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Everyone agreed that this was a razor thin margin for error, and the season would be a difficult if anyone was hurt. The goal was an NIT birth and the dream was the NCAA.

I think the Lovett situation being resolved will help the team, instead the what if’s and whys.

As of right now the roster will be balanced (IF things do not change) for next year, and the staff will have another year of experience. I would love to see Mullin hire an experience asst coach to help him.

This team has been close in most games, especially to better teams, and played bad against one bad team, and stopped playing in he second half against Providence. No one sees any improvement?

Before we discard another coach to the garbage heap and rebuild for the 7th (?) time since he 90’s, let see/hope this staff can repair the fixable foundation issues on this team...Let’s not get the matches yet...

I still have faith in the SJU administration to get things fix and not let things fester for awhile.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:01:13 PM by nudginator59 »
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »

Hurley was 100% interested and that is directly from him (won't give you the source)  Would have run down I-95 for the job.  There were two candidates in 2015, Chris Mullin and Danny Hurley.  SJU did not put together a list because they knew it would not get past either one.  Chris was first when he said yes it was over. 

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »

Hurley was 100% interested and that is directly from him (won't give you the source)  Would have run down I-95 for the job.  There were two candidates in 2015, Chris Mullin and Danny Hurley.  SJU did not put together a list because they knew it would not get past either one.  Chris was first when he said yes it was over. 

If you had a source then it is NOT directly from him. It is from your unnamed source. I was told he was not interested. I was told this after Mullin was named so it could just be revisionist history on Hurley's part. Or maybe your unnamed source is better than mine, but to say something definitive like that w/o giving the source is kind of weak. If you PM me I will show you mine if you show me yours though.

Poison

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »
Ponds has been playing through pain. Clearly he’s not the guy he was before the Providence game. Without LoVett and Shamorie at maybe 75% we’ve got to get great games out of Marvin Clark, Bashir Ahmed, Tariq Owens, Justin Simon and even Kassoum Yakwe all have to bring it or it’s over. They’ve got to stay out of foul trouble. Clark, Simon and Owens all pick such poorly timed fouls. Stop going for steals and just stay with your man. We couldn’t turn DePaul over. Maybe it’s time for a zone? Something has to change.

One positive sign in a horrible week is Trimble. At least he hit some threes. He’s also rebounded well. I’m sure some of you may have noticed but we are nowhere near the basket at that moment you should be thinking rebound, but Trimble pulled down at least one impressive board on Tuesday. Can he build on this and start killing it finally from outside?

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
Ponds has been playing through pain. Clearly he’s not the guy he was before the Providence game. Without LoVett and Shamorie at maybe 75% we’ve got to get great games out of Marvin Clark, Bashir Ahmed, Tariq Owens, Justin Simon and even Kassoum Yakwe all have to bring it or it’s over. They’ve got to stay out of foul trouble. Clark, Simon and Owens all pick such poorly timed fouls. Stop going for steals and just stay with your man. We couldn’t turn DePaul over. Maybe it’s time for a zone? Something has to change.

One positive sign in a horrible week is Trimble. At least he hit some threes. He’s also rebounded well. I’m sure some of you may have noticed but we are nowhere near the basket at that moment you should be thinking rebound, but Trimble pulled down at least one impressive board on Tuesday. Can he build on this and start killing it finally from outside?

Trimble needs to be more active. On offense he just stands out behind the three point line. Needs to try to do other things. Should get more pt now you would hope.

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2018, 03:27:42 PM »

If you had a source then it is NOT directly from him. It is from your unnamed source. I was told he was not interested. I was told this after Mullin was named so it could just be revisionist history on Hurley's part. Or maybe your unnamed source is better than mine, but to say something definitive like that w/o giving the source is kind of weak. If you PM me I will show you mine if you show me yours though.

Guy I'm not getting into it but it is as direct as you can get without being direct....

wpc77

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2018, 03:30:57 PM »

Guy I'm not getting into it but it is as direct as you can get without being direct....

I can verify what Fordham heard as well

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2018, 03:33:01 PM »
Hurley wouldn't take the Hall job I don't believe. 

Willard is going to leave there as soon as a decent Power school comes around.  They gave him a long leash - and he still would have been fired if not for hiring Tiny -- and is doing a good job riding out those players.  He considered taking the South Florida job last season when it looked as if their season was going to be a disaster and most thought Angel would turn pro.  Has been very fortunate in how things have gone there -- getting all the breaks we seem to never get.